Fishing backpacks

G"day guys,its sort of tackle related so may be worth a shot posting in here.Anyone have any recomendations for a decent backpack,preferably with compartments for bits and pieces,my old one is getting long in the tooth.Do quite a bit of freshwater fishing + surf fishing and it involves a fair bit of legwork,so a good light functional backpack is the go.Any suggestions would be great. 8)

Mines one of the kids old school packpacks a Pepsi bag actually,2 main sections 2 smaller front sections all with zips and a small zip section on one side for the camera,mesh on the other for my water bottle and a couple of mesh pouches on the front,probably only cost about 25 bucks as well. cheers brenton

Oh Yes! I recently picked up one, and it's a pearler.Gillies vest/backpack (code 42VP), under $100 at Salisbury Tackleworld! Something sorta like this one, but better:Posted ImageThe beauty of it is there's plenty of pockets, clips and compartments, but it's all held together with plastic snaps, so ya can completely remove the backpack, and clip on a flat back instead to convert it to a vest.If ya dont like that idea, the front pockets unclip and it just becomes a backpack.Very versatile, very light, heaps of storage space for leaders, flies, lures, pliers, scissors, play lunch, carrot juice, love beads, etc, and with a snap of a clip it changes to become whatever best suits you on the day!

Oh Yes! I recently picked up one, and it's a pearler.Gillies vest/backpack (code 42VP), under $100 at Salisbury Tackleworld! Something sorta like this one, but better:Posted ImageThe beauty of it is there's plenty of pockets, clips and compartments, but it's all held together with plastic snaps, so ya can completely remove the backpack, and clip on a flat back instead to convert it to a vest.If ya dont like that idea, the front pockets unclip and it just becomes a backpack.Very versatile, very light, heaps of storage space for leaders, flies, lures, pliers, scissors, play lunch, carrot juice, love beads, etc, and with a snap of a clip it changes to become whatever best suits you on the day!

Looks the goods Ranger, I wanna upgrade mine, keep losing my scissors through holes! LOL :D

I love the idea of that vest Ranger but I don't like to carry that much gear with me when I'm fishing now. As I'm sure we've all been guilty of at some point I used to bring everything i owned until it dawned on me I only used 2% of it. Now I use my blowfish camelbak and a canvas type shoulder bag for bait and fish. Its certainly a cool looking vest though :) I'm glad I don't have the money to blow on gear like I used to or I'd probably buy it ;D

Here 'tis Cal, super comfy with padded straps, nylon waterproof, pockets (some zipped) aplenty, belly straps for carting those massive redfin home and best of all "auscam" covering ideal for fishing SA Water propertys (only joking on the latter ;))30 bucks at Mitchells Adventure" stores, this one came from Marion 8)Posted Image

• 3 months later...
I dont wanna pay thru the nose for a light weight tackle bag, especially when your up and down Cliffs and Rods in hand, a good size Bum bag..Or it has a shoulder strap to hang over too, but I prefer the bum bag when climbing down rocks and cliffs, its got side pockets for my hooks, sinkers, line ETC.. Here is mine..Laff if you want but it carries what I need for the day.. :P;) for what Im going after.. Posted ImagePosted Image

for a bag of plastics.. some jig heads.. and some small HBS etc.. i use an old DISKMAN bag. wraps over the shoulder i can get an easy half dozen bags of plastics and a couple small plastic tackle trays in containing jig heads and anything up to 50-60mm HBS worth a look :)

Without being too picky:I think the photos of the dapper gent wearing the grey & orange vest are not of a Gillies vest. Perhaps more likely it's a "Fishpond Wildorse Tech Pack" (rrp around $400).Was spewing because I looked for it on the net with the hope of buying it for around $100.But please someone correct me if I'm mistaken.Cheers.

thefunkychicken wrote:

I think the photos of the dapper gent wearing the grey & orange vest are not of a Gillies vest. Perhaps more likely it's a "Fishpond Wildorse Tech Pack" (rrp around $400).

You may well be right! I couldn't find a picture of the Gillies brand vest, so I used a picture of something which lookes very similar, which is why I posted it looks "Something sorta like this one"
Cal wrote:

Thats a darn decent bag their Sandy ,and wouldnt mind one like that myself.Been hiking into a few spots ,that too be honest are a frigging nightmare with overhanging branches ect.Where do you get them ,and what brand.Cheers B)

Ooooo, sorry cal I missed this :blush: Mine was not a "Brand name tackle bag", I wasn't going to pay Through the roof for a small bag for what I wanted, I'll leave that for the boat ;) ..But it does me proud for the rocks, and On-Shore fishing..