Snapps mully from the weekend

Well over the long weekend even though the weather wasn't too promising and we had checked out bom and their radar imagining which showed plenty of rain coming our way both of us being semi crazy decided why the heck not lets go fishing.Now as I said Chuck and myself are a lost cause when it comes to fishing and we have been known to cast a line into our own bath water and even catch a few :icon_lol: but on the Sunday his girlfriend was mad enough to tag along and showed us up by landing the only 2 mullies netted. I did however manage to lose my only hook up.Going home with our tails firmly between our legs and being constantly reminded by Corinne that mullie fishing was easy :icon_eek: we hatch a plan for the following day to try and regain some of our dented male ego's.Gaffer was invited so as to allow us the excuse that there was not enough room for Corinne as we feared we would be given another lesson in the art of angling.Lying in bed that night and listening to the heavy rain hitting my roof I seriously doubted my sanity but as usual when the alarm sounded I was up and at em.To cut a long story short we all got a fish and I scored a nice one at 82.5 cm and weighing in at around 4.6 kg.Soft plastic's did the damage with us trying several different types I personally stuck with the old faithful jerkbaits but gaff caught his on squidgies. Rod used was my Blackdiamond 4-7 flats ranger and a luvius 1500,a great little set up for this style of fishing.The rain wasn't too bad throughout the day with showers keeping us honest and wearing our wet weather gear. Another great day out with a couple of mates and thanks Gaff for being my net bitch :icon_lol:cheerssnappsPosted ImageHere's Gaff with his fishPosted Image

Nice one snapps ;)You'll be needing to change that username but........ :-\IntroducingMULLYHEAD :-[ missed the bit about gaffer scoring as well :-[ :-[ :-[ DOHSorry GafferSo being a net bitch instead of a gaff man does this also mean a new username :-\ Perhaps Annette ;DIn all seriousnes though nicely done chaps, although I cant help wondering where chucks fish was ??? Surely he wasnt just guiding you two around and worse still surely he didnt miss out all together did he :icon_e_surprised:As always looking forward to the vid and your next report ;)

Yeah it was a great day on the water. Always happy to be a net bitch for you Snapps. Quite an eventful and amusing netting episode it was too for that big one. My fish is actually my biggest mully to date, and I was surprised to get my fish on a squidgy as I've never really done too well on them before.Thanks for the invite out chaps. I've struggled to get the time to fish this year with my Mum moving etc, so it was nice to get out with a couple of mates and have a day like that. Very much appreciated and enjoyed.Gaff

Hi Fella'sChuck scored a fish or two as we all did but he is a shy sorta guy who hates being the centre of attention so I didnt show you his fish plus due to the rain we didnt take many pics.Always a pleasure to fish with you Gaff looking forward to the next time we get out.Im not permitted to divulge the location of the creek as its not my spot and I dont want to upset the person who showed me but I will say that at this time of the year they are present in many of the creeks around the Port and its surrounds. Half the fun is getting out there and looking for em.I used Gulp 7"jerkbaits in camo plus I tried some 8" worms. Chuck used much the same as did Gaff but he also had some large squidgy paddle tails in drop bear colour I think.Work them slowly but keeping in contact with the lure at all times I dont like to use to savage a lift prefering to use a method I think they call tappin the slack. This means lifting the rod taking out the slack till you feel the tap of the lure then stopping dont lift any further you just drop the rod pick up some of the slack and repeat the process. When they are keen you will know when they take the lure thats for sure.We have also had some luck using hardbodies but as you can see from the pic of Gaff's fish the country is pretty tight and we lose a fair few so it can get expensive. If you do want to try HB's go for suspending types instead of floaters. They give us the best results Ive even had one taken after I stopped the retrieve to answer my phone. Ive been using Diawa TD'S 105cmHope this helps those trying to nail a nice a mullie.cheerssnapps

Snapps is right about the drop bear colour. That's exactly what I ended up using. Funny how I couldn't get a hit on exactly the same lures Chuck and Snapps were using while they were catching on them. I swapped to the Squidgy in sheer frustration and ended up getting a couple of fish of my own!It could be that I wasn't fishing them right. The gulps don't have a lot of in built action for my money. Snapps was coaching me from the sidelines, but it just wasn't happening for me. It goes to show though, that all those who think gulp is just bait are wrong, coz they wouldn't take it the way I presented it!The squidgy paddle tails have a lot of action and look awesome in the water. I think having something that will do a bit of the work for you is an advantage when you're new to the game, and fishing that size plastics in that sort of tight environment targeting mulloway is a brand new thing for me. In fact that was my first time ever, so I'm kind of chuffed to get a 68cm fish.Gaff

• 2 weeks later...