Want to have a bash at catching Garries, bought some tackle today to get ready, done some research and come up with answers on both ends of the spectrum on best times to catch them :dry: .. At one end calm waters and cooler weather was better, and the other warmer months, cloud cover and a bit of wind???????Anyone care to share their Gar fishing experiences!!

While we are on this subject, I once had some long shank Gar hooks. Red chem sharpened about a size 12 I recon, but they were as thin as fuse wire with a small bend half way up the shank.I've never been able to find these hooks again, but I recon they were the duck's guts for Gar. Anyone have any ideas where I can find these things?

i was on black point one night about 2am... saw a strange sight... WTF IS THAT... all i could see was a yellow arch extending out of the water.... started to get a bit worried as it was a moonless night, dead flat water, and this thing was moving all over the place.... as it got closer i realised what it was.it was a women in yellow pants, sitting on the bow of a tiny, with her legs in yellow trackpants dangling over the front.they had a light on the bow shining in the water, and that lit up her legs like an arch,\phew.they didnt know i was there as i was laying down on the rocks.... as they got closer i sprang up, and turned my headlight on....RED..... hahahaha.... cracked me up, the bloke steering the tiller shouts out....WTF IS THAT...."couldnt help but say //"AHOY THERE" hahahhaa... they steered clear, and i watched them scopp after scoop of gar into the boat...all the way to false bay shacks.

I love to eat gar but never fish for them myself. Delicous but unless they are well over legal size they are a pain to fillet and very messy. Wont pass up a meal of them at my olds house though. I'll try and find a photo of a huge one I caught on K.I. one time, went 420 grams. Almost like a billed snook.Took the older rugrat fishing down West Lakes yesterday, too nice not to get out the house. No bream but we were plagued by undersized gar.

SandyWhiting wrote:

Iv got size 10 hooks, bought a Garfish rig and a bait float, which I fill with a bit of bread , see how that goes, maybe a bit of tuna oil. Just going to go off the rocks or jetty..

bought a garfish rig?? a pencil float.. and 2 hooks??? surely your an able fisherwoman.. and rig ya own up :Pberly use bran flakes you can buy form your local fishing shop or horse feeds suuplier. mix in some tuna oil and some water to desired thickness.swivel... float.. then two hooks about 3 foot and 4 foot down.the float should be adjustable for depth adjustments. use 3kg line at heaviest :)good luck!and when filleting them.. there is a dark lne down the lenght of each side. on the top of its back if you cut thru there and come out at teh side join of the bottom of ther fish.. you should be minimise the amount of gut/rib cage you gotta trim from the fillet after
Del wrote:

SandyWhiting wrote:

Iv got size 10 hooks, bought a Garfish rig and a bait float, which I fill with a bit of bread , see how that goes, maybe a bit of tuna oil. Just going to go off the rocks or jetty..

bought a garfish rig?? a pencil float.. and 2 hooks??? surely your an able fisherwoman.. and rig ya own up :P
I was in the middle of shopping, easy pickings ;)

if you use that sa a guide then use the lower edge as the outter guide.. you should be right :)just trim the rib cage afterwards if you go too deep :)the pin bones after cooking are pretty soft.. mostly dont notice them if you leave a few in there.