opening on snapper.

hey folks just thought i'd ask, did many of you head away for the opening?I made the trip with a couple of buddys. The spot we fished was a spot i had fished plenty of times before. But the fishing had never been so insane!I didn't put on a bait at all! monday was probably the hottest snapper bite i have ever seen. We were joking about what we could send down to the bottom that they wouldn't eat..Next cast, doubble hookup on bare jigheads!We had our bag in under ten minutes. so it was time to tag and release. Day two the word had got out, and there were plenty more boats on the spot. Which included some clown from the port mac game fishing club; who came within 1 foot of crashing into a big kevlar cat and then 5 mins later he did the same to us.things were a bit slower on day two, it took us 12 mins to get our bag. Again time to tag and release, all up we tagged 20 fish and kept 12. biggest fish were just shy of 9kg'sso while i was waiting for my mate to catch his last 2 for tagging i decided to downgrade tackle, my next fish 3.7kg on 4 lb bream gear which was a good battle.It was funny tho, there were boats all around us hooking up occasionally on bait, you could see the disbelief when we hooked up time after time.It was a cracking couple of days that i will not forget any time soon.

Coight, glad to hear you & your crew did so well. But there are two VERY IMPORTANT things u have omitted!1. No pictures. Without photogenic evidence none of what you say can be taken in any seriousness and therefore we can only assume that this never happened!2. You fail to tell us were this spot was so again I can only conclude that its a made up story to rub salt into the wounds of us poor soles who for various reasons were saddled behind a desk while u and countless others were playing around with some piscatorial delight! :laugh::laugh::laugh: Glad you found them mate, not sure how word got out so quick, but gotta hand it to you on the bream gear caught one. Well done B) Oh, by the way, really rub some salt in will ya & post a pic or two ;)

Sounds like fun Coight,and not even any sharks to spoil the day.Mind you by the sound of it any sharks about would of been full as googs with that amount of reds around.Pity the closures arn't spread out over a longer time and in different areas because the fish do seem to congregate when they get some peace. cheers brenton

brenton wrote:

Pity the closures arn't spread out over a longer time and in different areas because the fish do seem to congregate when they get some peace.

Interesting observation Brenton. I like the sound of that too, but what effect do you think that would have on the stocks? Good or bad? Personally, I think initially it would be to the detriment but then once the initial excitement of open season wore off things would perhaps go back to a status quo.Your thoughts

my bro , vb4me, and myself hit the rocks at dead on midday...we all cast in at roughly the same time...clive (bro0 didnt even get a chance to put his rod down..nice run and a hook up.followed by 2 more fish FOR HIM, and he lost 3...kirk and i were just shaking our heads... i had a small run, but the pair of us didnt get any more bites or runs...we were using cuttly, tommies, and pillies for bait...but clive was using fresh shitties...which the seemed to prefer over our bait...im heading out again with clive tonight at 5pm, and fishing til dark.THIS time ive got shitty for bait.

just back from a rockhop.was pretty damn quite for a whilekept losing baits, but couldnt feel any bites.then the sun set... good run, and i had a 46cm snap on the rocksbro hooked up a solid dogsharkhahaha... i had another run, which snagged me and lost it, then bro pulls in a slightly smaller snap.had to pull stumps though, as hes off to adelaide in the morning so he didnt want a late one.its also apretty hard to see on the rocks with no headlight...left the mother in the car.D'OH.was far too calm and chystal clear water didnt help...but change expected later tonight.

You lot are obviously in the know!I went on a charter from the Fleurieu on Monday. We fished for some bait until about 11:30 then ran for the first of "a few guaranteed spots".Ended up with 4 medium sized snapper and half a dozen ruggers. It was pretty rough out there even in a good boat, but a pretty poor catch between 6 blokes given we were out on the water from 9am to 7pm.I might try for a solo run for the Spencer waters on my next lot of days off in January. It might be landbased or in the plastic sharkbait boat if I can get the images of big bitey things out of my mind.Good on ya for those that've got some... and for the rest of us: good luck, keep trying."I just want to tell you both, good luck, we're all counting on you"Cheers. Tight lines.PS: Rocknev needs to start landbased guided fishing tours for us no-hopers.

thefunkychicken wrote:

You lot are obviously in the know!I went on a charter from the Fleurieu on Monday. We fished for some bait until about 11:30 then ran for the first of "a few guaranteed spots".Ended up with 4 medium sized snapper and half a dozen ruggers. It was pretty rough out there even in a good boat, but a pretty poor catch between 6 blokes given we were out on the water from 9am to 7pm.I might try for a solo run for the Spencer waters on my next lot of days off in January. It might be landbased or in the plastic sharkbait boat if I can get the images of big bitey things out of my mind.Good on ya for those that've got some... and for the rest of us: good luck, keep trying."I just want to tell you both, good luck, we're all counting on you"Cheers. Tight lines.PS: Rocknev needs to start landbased guided fishing tours for us no-hopers.

t the moment its VERY hit and miss from the rocks... the lads havnt seen a snapper all weekend, but they did hook a few...landing them is a different kettle though.the other day, sandy had 4 runs, and 4 snapper landed...the whole weekend seen nothing laying on the rocks.
  • 2 weeks later...