Hey I'm sick to death of my rod that i normally use for casting salmon lures as its thick, hard to cast and generally a pain in the *rse to use.I'm currently using a 10ft ugly stick gold surf rod and its a pain to cast repetitively. I'm looking for a rod that will do the job of casting up to 40gm salmon lures and be able to throw them as far as possible in the surf. Will be matched with a 4000 stradic spooled with something like 12-15lb braid.This role is solely to be used for casting lures up to 40gms. It just has to be as easy as possible to cast repetitively.Suggestions?Cheers

The one you seek statesquidder could be the daiwa seajigger. It is very similar to a rod I want to build for the same style of fishing that you are talking about. There is 20 bucks difference between this off the shelf rod and a blank that I was recommended which is a excel compostites salmon heavy. Although the seajigger is more the line class I was thinking of.http://www.therodworks.com.au/130-Surf-Spin-and-Cast/Excel-Composites-FibreForce-Fusion-Surf-Spin/Cast-Salmon-Heavy.htmlThe sea jiggerhttp://www.daiwafishing.com.au/daiwa.cfm?page=rods&rods=surfrock&product=seajigger

What is your budget. Are you looking for graphite or glass and do you want something aroung 9 to 10 foot or 12 foot or longer?I use 2x 9 foot starlo stix matched to a stradic 4000 and a stradic 5000. I also have a pair of shimano baitruner D 4000 which also fit very nicely. For around $100 each for the rods I am happy with them.Ray and Annes have the 10 foot sensor surf spin rods going for $179 which would also be great.

I've got a 9 foot Wilson Live Fibre Trophy Estuary rated 4-6 kg. I bought it instead of the lightest Seajigger, which seemed a bit too dear for a rod for chucking lures to small to medium sized salmon. The Wilson works well at throwing lures up to 55 grams and is also a good rod for soaking pillies in light surf. If you want something for bigger salmon or to throw heavier lures then get the 10' sensor surf.

The seajigger is super light and the extra length is nice for keeping the line out of the shore break and will give you a little extra on the cast as well as a bit more leverage fighting fish. I doubt it would cause any wrist trouble. It can be had for a little under your budget.

Hey Piranha how far can you cast a 60g slug? Can you get far enough out on a beach or will i benefit from an extra couple of feet?I'd prefer something like a 7/8ft as they are a breeze to cast but I've never thrown anything heavier than 15g on a short rod. I'm thinking a 9ft will be the go as i reckon my mate has a 10ft sensor surf and its a bit long to cast a few hundred times in a row :)Come to think of it I reckon it only has to cast up to like 35g. Just a medium salmon lure, I find i get more on smaller ones...

Mate, go with seagijjer. Best salmon rod you can find for around 240$.You will never regret. My SeaJigger 305 handles 35gm lures for Browns no worries and also 65-70gm on West Coast. Casts a mile, and pulls average size salmons from Browns and big monsters 4-5kg+ on West Coast effortlessly. And yes, you will be casting all day without getting tired. I also have Daiwa Sensor surf, this rod is different and i cant compare it to SeaJigger. A few old topics for you to read:http://www.strikehook.com/forum/35-bait-a-tackle/99506-just-ordered-my-new-daiwa-seajigger#99936http://www.strikehook.com/forum/35-bait-a-tackle/85608-smaller-surf-rod#85759

statesquider wrote:

Hey Piranha how far can you cast a 60g slug? Can you get far enough out on a beach or will i benefit from an extra couple of feet?I'd prefer something like a 7/8ft as they are a breeze to cast but I've never thrown anything heavier than 15g on a short rod. I'm thinking a 9ft will be the go as i reckon my mate has a 10ft sensor surf and its a bit long to cast a few hundred times in a row :)Come to think of it I reckon it only has to cast up to like 35g. Just a medium salmon lure, I find i get more on smaller ones...

I'm not real sure how far out 100m? mabey? my mates use 9-10 ft graphite rods and don't get any more distance than me.I generally use 35-40-50g lures and will only use 60g when theres a very strong southerly.I think the ideal rod length for spinning 30-40g lures off the beach would be 8ft any more lenght than that for the light lures would reduce casting distance imo.cheers :)

i fish for salmon with my shimano jewel snapper and stradic 4000 i can cast a 40g lure very far with it(dont have too cast that far most times though)it is also a pretty light combo so you dont get 'sambo arm' :laugh: quite as quick......... btw salmon will take just about any lure too i reckon. ;)

• 1 month later...

i bought an angler stealth and matched it with a 3000 shimano saros.... i prefer it way better then the sea jigger. it was half the price of the seajigger, and casted 40gram lures no problems at all... i could reach the furthest part and clear the reef part of the lagoon at browns. but its personal preference....hope it catches u many fish.