Your collection of rods.

How many rods do you fisho's have in your collection and what are they.I used to have a lot of cheap rods like Shimano and Jarvis Walker plus no name rods and reels.Now i am getting rid of my cheap stuff and collecting the top brand rod and reels,I found they peform better and now i own rods that look good and are worth something instead of cheap crap.At the moment i own:Luvis rod2 Burkley drop shotsand i am about to purchase a Gloomis of off Shauno.The reels i have at the moment are:2 abu spinning reels1 Penn surf reeland a couple of alvey reels.Not much at the moment but i'm getting there slowly with my finances.What rods and reels do you own and how many,very intrested to know and what reels and rods can i add to my collection that are good brands.Thanks for your feed back guys appreciate it Marc.

http://www.strikehook.com/forum/63-off-topic/91691-how-many-have-you-gotI've got over 30 rods now :blush: My favourites are 2 custom built Hasting PUR 70UL with Titanium SIC guides, 2 custom built Kilwel Penduum 1 surf rods, 2 custom built kilwel livefibre threadline rods for the Kayak A pair of ultra light 10 foot threadline rods built up on 9 weight fly blanks.And the starlo stix and daiwa sensor surfs are very good value for money.Currently I am building a pair of graphite surf spin rods with lowrider guides.
Guest SnappaHunta

Surely every self respecting fisherman needs an UGLY STICK in his arsenal ??? :):):)I love the ABU reels for the light stuff.Funny story... My missus was on ebay and I told her to grab a plastics rod for my dad for birthday last year. It cost bugga all and the quality was just that. Anyway he ended up flicking around outer harbour breakwater, the rod was fine for STs, but out of the blue a school of full sized sambos rocked up, the power was too much and sent the reel smashing into the guides!!!!Needless to say I forked out some dollars for his birthday this year for a decent one :):):) it's a good lesson to anyone trying to skimp on fishing gear

Guest SnappaHunta
Weedie wrote:

Sorry guys i have a Shakespear ugly stick platinum that is my samon rod.Forgot about that one.Still got a few cheapos but debating if i should get rid of them or not. :unsure:

I'll have em :):):)

i got a starlo stix snapper spin-penn applause 3000 for slamon and randomshimano backbone ellite 24kg- penn 9/0 (site said it could hold 700meters of 50lb mono.. i got nearly 1000m)random shimano kmart flicker 1-3kg- jarvis walker ceratec cheapy,random abu 1-3kg- shimano sienna 1000fb,(mates rods but allways with my collection)penn mariner plus 15-24kg-diawa sld30,rando atlantis 10' surf comborando fly rodplus the rest that have retired and dont see sunlight anymorei can see alot more to come :)

my total rod/reel collection so far is...spinsienna 2500 / cheap shimano 2-4kgstradic 2500 / starlo stix 4-8kgstradic 4000 / starlo stix 5-8kgspheres 8000 / Wilson supergraph 12’ and ugly stick gb-1700(20ish years old)overheadabu ambassadeur 6500c4 / ugly stick 2000plus 6-10kgCalcutta 700b / tcurve king mack 8-12kgTrynos 30 / backbone 15-24kgTiagra 50a / tcurve game 24kg(plus a few cheap rods/reels)Just a little bit of a shimano man

i have a few rods now as ive oly just started collecting good gear about a year ago i have a shimano backbone 10foot with an abu 7000 pro rocket. the backbone was inherited from my uncle. R.I.P love ya mateshimano tcurve lucanas jig medium 200 with a calcutta 400ba shimano tcurve t series 1-3kg with a shimano twinpower 1000 fba shimano raider finesse bream with my twinpower or this tica reel 500 size.a shimano raider snapper with a shimano symetre 2500 shimano jewel 5-10kg with a abu 2600 i think thats the size lolshimano backbone 10kg with a tekota 800 anda shimano backbone 24kg with a tld 50 2 speedand a few cheap shimano big w rods

Ive got 8 rods - no fancy names as i built all but 1 myself. They give me a full range to work with so i use them all and pick a couple out each trip depending on what im gunning for. I also have 10 real-various shakespeare and diawa eggbeaters, 4 alveys-2 6" for bream and a drag beach one for bigger stuff or when i need to skull drag from the rocks.

Guest SnappaHunta
pin point wrote:

i own one rod, which i bought off lazy lure for $30, its a et ltd edition sp rod, 2/4kg with a rovex aureas 1500 with 1500 spool, 1500 has 2lb fireline and 1500 6lb braid

I have one of them rods and I reckon it's great rod.I'm currently on a mission with mine to land my first Snapper on a SP! I've put an ABU reel on it, 10lb braid with 20lb mono leader.I'm sure it's possible to land a 60cm plus snapper on 4kg gear... It'll result in a cool pic of either a big snap or a snapped rod :)

Only got a few combo's but all suit me well. ;) FOR CHASING SNAPPER(Used for serious reds in deep water SP's and Bait) - Daiwa Saltiga Hirimassa 63S rated PE30 with Certate 4000 Hyper running Nitlon 20lb braid 60lb jinkai trace.(Alternate Bait stick) - Calstar GF600M OVERHEAD with Shimano Tekota 700 running 20lb braid.(Dedicated SP stick) - Berkley Diablo 6-10Kg matched with Shimano Symetre 3000 running 12lb braid.OTHER SPECIESBlack Diamond with Luvias 2000 running 6lb fireline for trout and larger stuff if needed.

Guest SnappaHunta
spog777 wrote:

Ive got 8 rods - no fancy names as i built all but 1 myself. They give me a full range to work with so i use them all and pick a couple out each trip depending on what im gunning for. I also have 10 real-various shakespeare and diawa eggbeaters, 4 alveys-2 6" for bream and a drag beach one for bigger stuff or when i need to skull drag from the rocks.

Your a clever bugga then :):)How do you build them, do you source a blank then purchase guides etc seperately? Are they your own blanks??What kind of average cost is involved?I'm very interested in giving this ago sometime. I'm after a medium soft plastics rod and have been considering something custom.

Have a squiz in the Bait & Tackle section, there's a few topics on home-building rods. The price is not prohibitive and there's products for every budget. Be warned: it is highly addictive. I'm presently in the process of building my 4th and 5th home-built rods and rebuilding/refurbishing a good rod I got 2nd hand.PM if I can give you any more info.Cheers.

3 of them are solids-shows how old both them and me are lol. Bought the blank length and built the rest to suit. The other are form rods ive picked up around the place-dumps, garage sales etc. I take em home strip them and rebuild them to how i want them. Replace everything until im happy with the end result. A pretty cheap way to score yourself some good gear. I actually picked up an "ugly stick" the other day for $2 at a garage sale so that my next chore.

Guest SnappaHunta
spog777 wrote:

3 of them are solids-shows how old both them and me are lol. Bought the blank length and built the rest to suit. The other are form rods ive picked up around the place-dumps, garage sales etc. I take em home strip them and rebuild them to how i want them. Replace everything until im happy with the end result. A pretty cheap way to score yourself some good gear. I actually picked up an "ugly stick" the other day for $2 at a garage sale so that my next chore.

Love it!!!! Im going to give it ago myself sometime.Have karma for the rods and for going ass up at st kilda the other week :)