Lesson on "JIGGING"...

Can someone give me a basic rundown lesson on jigging? Obviously you are imparting action (usually in deep water) to resemble a dieing fish, then free spooling back to the bottom of the reef. How do jigs differ? Obv in Hardbodies there are suspending, floating etc, I understand jigs are SINKING but what how else do they differ?Getting me a jigging/spin rod hiramasa S63 to match my Z4500 Saltiga. Mainly as an alround snapper stick / kingies / gummy / all round big combo. Was going to predominantly use with bait (live) and bigger sinkers, and occasssionally do some jigging (as mentioned I've never done this before) 200g is overkill in 20m of water though? Anyway, do the jigs work? :dry: I know kingies will smash a 200g jig but what about snapper?Shallow water, less than 20m probably seems a bit stupid but wanted peoples thoughts and assistance

give the lucanus jigs or octa jigs and stuff a crack for the snaps, the outfit may be a bit heavy for workin these though, not too though sure as i havent really looked at em let alone used em. Have read in magazines and seen blokes usin em on foxtel fishin shows and they do pretty well. Someone else here will have more experience with them than i do.In 20 metres of water though id rather be chuckin round sum plastics or blades on the lighter gear for snaps. Good luck mate hope ya nail a few

Ben m wrote:

give the lucanus jigs or octa jigs and stuff a crack for the snaps, the outfit may be a bit heavy for workin these though, not too though sure as i havent really looked at em let alone used em. Have read in magazines and seen blokes usin em on foxtel fishin shows and they do pretty well. Someone else here will have more experience with them than i do.In 20 metres of water though id rather be chuckin round sum plastics or blades on the lighter gear for snaps. Good luck mate hope ya nail a few

Hey Ben, the Hirimasa and 4500Z will work a lucanus no problem at all. The Hirimasa is an extremely light weight senstive rod with mega power.A snapper will smash a 200g Jig, the key is to bounce the jig across the bottom, so cast it out, then using sideways jigging motions jig the lure back through the burley trail back to the boat.My mate took a 10lber on his first ever jigging session with a very large jig. You just cant go burning line up like you do on Kings if you want to nail some reds, just slow it down a litte and run your jig across the bottom of the sea floor ratther than jigging directly vertically. Im not sayting that jigging vertically wont work, but Ive found jigging after casting out and flicking the rod tip horizontally to the water works best.The two methods of jigging are to either just crank once flick the rod about a metre, crank then flick again another meter. Or you can go the two flicks then a turn, two flicks then a turn.Its way addictive. Trust me in that you wont get nearly as many fish as what you would if you used bait, but when you do get a red on a jig you will have trouble wiping the smile of your dialJust remember that 200G is at the maximum weight that the Hirimasa will comfortably jig. I would be looking for jigs between 100-200 for snapps.

I pretty much just use the Williamson speed jigs or river2sea knife jigs, but the bigger Zest jigs do okay too.Your right though, plastics are definately the go, you will catch more on softies than on a jig. But man anyone can catch one on a soft plastic, but catching one on a jig is tough, but not out of the question if done right thats for sure.Haven't seen the Daiwa sacrafice jigs, but are pretty much just using jigs that look like a pillie or mackeral.Heres the link to my favourite, 180Gm 18.5cm R2S knife Jig in pattern KJ02http://www.river2sea.com.au/categories.asp?cID=303Heres a look at the Williamson abyss speed jigs. A great choice of colours tooIve got to stock up for this summerhttp://www.williamsonlures.com/color_bars/color_bar_abyss_speed_jig.html

Most of my jigging has been in 33metres of water and with minimal tidal pull. I would say being in 15metres the tidal pull should be okay and given that its not far to the bottom you wouldnt need a heavy jig at all and could get away with less weight. ie as little as 100grams or so.My thoughts are any jigs around the 15-20cm mark are ideal for snapper jigging. It's just when you get out deep that some of the bigger jigs go well.I think the bigger Zest jigs (Ie long knife jigs approaching 30cm mark do so well as being big the snapper can see the jig and can't miss it.) This is the only reason I have a big knife jig in my arsenal and would change to a big jig is if everyone else is catching fish around you on the boat on other fishing methods ie bait and softies and you want your jig to be seen and noticed!!!Both of the Williamson's and R2S jigs will work fine in 15metres. its all about size and colour choice. The choice of centre weighted or tail weighted of course effects the flutter of the lure and speed to get down, but speed getting down doesn't matter in 15metres or even at 33M as thier is no need to crank em up fast, but I am yet to really pay much attention to the differing fluttering styles, but I feel that one that flutters well will get more hits. :laugh:

Tks Spog.Its amazing how big a Mackeral a snapper will swallow when live baiting. So your first instinct is to see a 30cm knife jig and go no way can I use that for Reds. But truth is there just so greedy that they will hit it if they think its dieing and cant get away.I also find that most of my jigging has worked when there is a decent school under the boat. Jigging is just so much bloody fun. Be prepared to spend a bit of time doing it before you get success. I would say start with plastics on a good school. Once youve got that sussed its time to have a go with a jig :blink::blush:

hey guys i took my shimano calcutta and my tcurve lucanus jig rod out on a charter with a lucanus jig haha and it was 80gm and that was plenty for depths to 50m and this was down cape jervis. i picked up a few rugger snapper, leather jackets and plenty of other reef species. this was my first time using them and i loved it i just let mine down to the bottom and then bottom bounced and when i felt a hit i didnt strike i let the fish do all the work.. all in all it was a great day cheers Tp Posted Image

39636_422583594915_607779915_4616748_7479546_n1.jpg

Sorry FL, got no photos of my jigs as all are on my mates boat at the moment. I only have one long knife jig R2s in fluro green and the pillie 18.5cm 180 at moment as I lost my abyss.Looks like the lucanus jigs are very versatile in that they will take a number of species. The Nanygai would love em too.Because Im stocking up soon, I will keep in touch and let you know if I find any decent buys and where to buy from.Jigs arent cheap though. 20-25bucks normally.Im going to try and pick some slightly cheaper ones around 15bucks this year. I think If I buy in bulk that might be possible.

I bought some of the lucanus jigs at the last Compleat Angler sale bargain prices (as always)60g = $5, 100g = $9.95, 150g = $12.95 couldn't walk past them, also bought a 300g Octa for $9 amoungst many other things, including the price I had to pay when I got home with all my goodies it was still worth it :woohoo: haven't fished with the lucanus before but will be giving them a try next time I get out in the boatYorky

4 day sale finished last weekend, they are in the site sponsor sectionpretty sure they do mail order if you cant get thereI think they have a 4 day sale 4 times a year, haven't missed one yet They used to post their sale catalouge out to compleat angler members, now they email it out which is better cause the wife cant hide it :laugh: Yorky

• 2 weeks later...