Where did it all begin

I was wondering how people got into fishing in the first place and what was their earliest memory or first catch. To be fair i'll start off. My first catch was at Blanchtown 48-49 years ago where as a youngster of about 5ish i caught my first fish which was a nice callop. My Dad told me it easily weighed a coupla pounds and the joke was i was using a handline and instead of pulling the line in i kept walking to the water with it only to have my old man keep pulling me back lol. After that he built me my first rod (i have them still) and put a 3 1/2 inch alvey on it for me. We went off to live a Strathalbyn and for the 2 years we were there he always reckoned we fished the creek dry of redfin and tench

2 or 3 years old, fishermans bay in the boat, whiting tommies and crabs, first i remember was after a day crabbing walking from the ramp back to the shack saw a bluey in the shallows, stalked him and caught him when he latched onto both of my thumbs:ohmy: so proud but had to chuck him back

Couldnt tell you my earliest memories of fishing as I was way too young and my dad has always had a boat in the driveway. But I certainly do remember heading out from the old glenelg boat ramp every weekend to chase whiting, Also our almost monthly Browns trips along with our christmas holidays to Coffin bay to chase big snapper.I have a photo at home somewhere of me holding a 15kg Coffin bay snapper and it is almost bigger then me :lol:

My earliest memories are from the Port River, but I cant really remember my fist fish !Probably a trumpeter on a hand line. I was lucky, Dad fished every weekend either locallyor away, I can remember being washed in at Parsons Beach and saved by my older brother,washed in at Second Vally and being smashed up against the rocks and saved by a off dutypoliceman ! ( Dad must of hated taking me fishing ! Ha Ha !)I have a photo of myself fishingon the jetty at Port Elliot, and I would've been 7 or 8 I guess !( I'm 49 now )I can alwaysremember going to Edithburgh as a young fellow with Dad and I bought a metal slice ( Halco type) lure from the general store, first cast off of the jetty, casting towards Wool Bay,I hooked a big Garfish, I think that was the moment that shaped my fishing for years tocome, I still prefer fishing with lures than bait ! AS a youngster and a teenager I fishedall over the state, thanks to my Dad.I wished I was half the fisherman that he was !Tim...