Snapper Vs Mulloway. Addiction Formula

GaryGlitter got me thinking about the fish I like to target most.... Snapper and Mulloway.I've been lucky enough to catch loads of Snapper, but Mulloway..... hmmm I'm pretty crap at.Based on my fishing diary going back 6years I've worked out a bit of a formula for why I gets bouts of Mully fever.... Here's how it works;Targeting Snapper for me means trying for a big Red so over 60.Targeting Mulloway means trying to get one at all. A fishing session would average 5hours of wet linesI reckon I succeed in landing my target fish 7-10 times when chasing Snapps.So 5hrs x 10 = 50hrs. = target fish every 7.14 fishing hours.When chasing Mulloway, I would land a Mulloway say 1 out of 20 attempts and that is only counting live baiting (I've never caught one another way)This means 20 x 5hrs = 100hrs so once every 100hrs I'll get the Mully.(and I'm yet to get a legal mulloway, so that equation might be a life sentence)So when GaryGlitter says you need a pic of a Mully in there with all the boring old snapper ;)I tend to agree!Snapper every 7.14 Target hoursMulloway very 100 target hours (or hopefully at least one legally in my lifetime)Lucky for me I manage the odd Bream an ST while floating out a livey

i love catching mullies have for a few years now.. neva caught a snapps...only because i dnt have a boat or had a chance to.. but one day i would love to catch a big RED.. but then i have caught kingies around the 8-10kg mark when i was a youngin and love that even more...i think they all hold a place in all fishos mind to tick off that checklist in your mind and those few fish would b on every fishos to catch list...

It also takes a lot of luck when it comes to catching a Mulloway, or any fish really, but the right spot at the right time with the right bait (and who can truly know any/all of the "rights"?) and good amount of patience to catch any fish really. :) I have just been introduced to fishing but especially Mulloway fishing by my Mr. JimboJames and it is a fantastic feeling when you get a run, let alone get on in the boat or on the bank and it is well worth the time and effort. I wish you good luck in your future Mulloway endeavours!

2009 i spent 100 hrs using HB's just to see what the time frame was and got 7 schoolies per 100hrs,that rate improves a bit using S/P.I've now caught 33 land based on lure so you can do the maths and see how much time i've spent poncing about for schooliesWhen i used to fish the port with live bait schoolies came even more frequently but getting a fish over 1 metre was rare indeed and i still haven't done it on lure. cheers brenton

It also takes a lot of luck when it comes to catching a Mulloway' date=' or any fish really, but the right spot at the right time with the right bait (and who can truly know any/all of the "rights"?) and good amount of patience to catch any fish really. :) I have just been introduced to fishing but especially Mulloway fishing by my Mr. JimboJames and it is a fantastic feeling when you get a run, let alone get on in the boat or on the bank and it is well worth the time and effort. I wish you good luck in your future Mulloway endeavours![/quote']Hey Mrs Jimbo... It seems you were introduced to fishing by the right fella :)I'm a big fan of that photo of yours holding an 80cm plus Mulloway :):):) infact reading the reports from you and Mr Jimbo set me off buggering around getting live baits, buying D size batteries for the ole aerator and presenting myself back to the Mosquitos..... And then that bloody Rickster starts up with his great sessions too :pinch: I just hope if I keep at it I might crack the secret that you Mr Jimbo and Rickster seem to know :):):):):)Tight lines to all of you buggers :):):):):):):)

@BrentonCheers mate, you do make it look easy sometimes with them lure caught fish.... It's nice to know that at one point you may have been as unco as me ;)I KNoW full well that it's not an easy feat, I have enough trouble getting Bream on lures..... Never got a mully on one yet...... Baby steps for me I think :)

jack i dont wanna have to crack a calculator out to read one of your post's again .i left school early cos of people like you all ya have to do is ha/ve + a/go x may/be = mullie???

Haha i went to school just to eat my lunch too. lol.
All i did at school was think about fishing.Iwould take all my game rods to school on fri arvo and fish all weekend every weekend..Not much has changed:)

Jack my friend i wish you all the best of luck..... I envy you i have chased them hard for 5 or 6 years in the onka pa skum pond got a fair few legals and cracked the magical metre on lure twice in one week caught bulk legal fish, but im over fishing in creeks haha it's time to get a big fish no more schoolies for me if i can help it................. Mullies = time i havn't got to spend really but ocassionally get out and have a crack............

The harder they are the better it is when you get one.Snapper can be fun at times but after a few big fish it gets old quick.Mullies - can shit you to tears but when you get a decent one you forget it all.Kings, well after 150+ hours with a livey in the water and no fish landed I'm not sure but I think it will be good :)

Jack my friend i wish you all the best of luck..... I envy you i have chased them hard for 5 or 6 years in the onka pa skum pond got a fair few legals and cracked the magical metre on lure twice in one week caught bulk legal fish' date=' but im over fishing in creeks haha it's time to get a big fish no more schoolies for me if i can help it................. Mullies = time i havn't got to spend really but ocassionally get out and have a crack............[/quote']haha lol. always good for a giggle daiwa, but i agree they hard as, let there be many a scum ring in the port before a biggie lol.

Mulloway will always be my addiction1 legal and about 8 non legals in 20 years of trying and I only got the legal Mully last year :boot::blink: Once flicked small plastics for bream under a light in a certain river and had a 1 metre plus Mully sail past :huh: Lets just say I have never flicked small lures since :( Next on the to do list is catch a snapper from the beach, hope I won't have to wait aslong.But this is why we keep going back because you just never know

Jack my friend i wish you all the best of luck..... I envy you i have chased them hard for 5 or 6 years in the onka pa skum pond got a fair few legals and cracked the magical metre on lure twice in one week caught bulk legal fish' date=' but im over fishing in creeks haha it's time to get a big fish no more schoolies for me if i can help it................. Mullies = time i havn't got to spend really but ocassionally get out and have a crack............[/quote']haha lol. always good for a giggle daiwa' date=' but i agree they hard as, let there be many a scum ring in the port before a biggie lol.[/quote']Ive got a inch thick scumring right now around the motor leg lol.You no you put in a good effort when you get a nice scumring..You love em Srick:laugh:
PC260064.JPGhey jack your time will come and all those hours chasing that elusive ghost will be forgotten!! My start to catching a mulloway was a once in a lifetime experience not many people would have even dreamed possible!! It all came down to one thing and that is the great friendship i established with a true fishing legend "Dave Sheldon" who is the father of aarron who started this web site and locally known through the fishing store fraternity as the maggot man!! He took me under his wing many years ago when fishing to me was an obsession but slowly losing its charm with countless fishless sessions taking its toll. He decided to invite me on a mulloway fishing trip to a place only he and a couple of other awesome fishing mates new about which nearly ended up in a fallout between them and him when they heard i was invited. Anyway we arrived at hot spot and he dedicated most of his time teaching me how to rig, bait and understand the little things needed to be successfull in catching fish consistently and with new found knowledge and confidence we chucked in our lines and it wasnt long before he pulled in the first fish of the night around 20lb which totally blew me away at seeing my first ever mulloway!! within ten minutes he bagged a similar size fish and the utter excitment i felt at the chance of me catching one was unbelievable!! well nothing happened for the next 4 hours so dave decided to crash for awhile but there was no chance for me sleeping and i dedicated my self to work hard on baiting up how he showed me and constantly rebaiting and berley and generally not get lazy to give me every chance possible to catch my first ever mully!! well it was a bizzare feeling when i saw that rod double over and took a while to register but i striked it how he told me and i was on to the biggest fish i had ever hooked in my life, my heart was pounding and i was screaming out to dave but he wouldnt wake up!!! anyway after 10 minutes of total heart pounding fishing the experience turned into a nightmare when suddenly and so close too shore the line went slack, the hook had pulled and the feeling was utterly devistating as i stood there for what felt like an eternity trying to get to grips of my lost opportunity. man that sucked!! well i let dave sleep and put on a new bait of squid and cast it out feeling totally defeated as the sun started too dawn when i noticed a couple of small taps on the rod, thinking it was a little tommy attacking my bait i decided to give it a couple more taps and striked hard to something solid which instantly took off and to say i wasnt a little surprised was an understatement of worldly proportions!! i stayed surprisingly calm and played this fish like a seasoned pro i didnt call out to dave until i landed this fish and it was safely on the sand and at a respectful 35 pounds i was the happiest fisherman alive, to catch this fish on my very first mully sesh was a totally awesome experience and was the start of a unbelievable run of consistant catches of mulloway to 60lb on close to 4 trips in a row which even had dave lost for words!!! my tip jack, dont waste your time on metro mullies hit the road and fish those beaches further away and you might just crack that 50lber sooner than u think!! p.s. this was a yorkes beach no need to travel far west coast hope u enjoyed my story

Loved it Snake!I guess with the family at the busy stage 18mnth and 5, even my Snapper trips are a little less frequent than I'd like, so although I'm generally a metro fisher, a yorkes adventure is way more possible than my dreams of a week on the west coast.You know... I talk a lot of crap about fishing... Mainly cos I love it so much... It's a family thing with us... The fishing that is. And I guess thanks to my father and mates, I do have a bit of knowledge to share re Snapper.... And they aren't easy if youre startin out no matter what anyone says.... Not in your own boat having to suss it all out......but the main point I get from your story is sometimes it's good to just shut up and listen.... And that's a lot what I'm doing with the Mulloway at the moment....

ha... i keep forgetting, aarron was on that trip, which isnt bad because even his dad forgot he took his son! i think he was around 9 years old and he was the one who took that photo(which after finding that pic recently dave and myself were dumbfounded about who took that pic) he also got absolutely pounded by a freak back wash from a huge wave while he slept on the sand fully clothed which must have sucked but that was ok cause i caught a mulloway!! :laugh: sorry aarron lol

• 2 weeks later...

How can you expect better results when you keep doing the same thing. If you just keep putting in the time without learning you are wasting your time. Your just hoping to ass one doing the same thing. All fishing is like learning the combination to a safe. Once you know the combination you can open it when ever you want.

Sorry that sounded bit harsh,All im saying is that different results require different actions. If ya spot hasnt produced consistently for years it probably wont, try somewhere else.Yes theres something special about the grey ghost but Mullies are just a fish, theres heaps of em. Study em properly listen to those with the runs on the board, and do what they tell ya.You'll go from never seeing em to nailing many per session. Next few months are usually a pretty good time of year. I wont wish ya luck, you wont need it you'll earn em ;)

Sorry that sounded bit harsh' date='All im saying is that different results require different actions. If ya spot hasnt produced consistently for years it probably wont, try somewhere else.Yes theres something special about the grey ghost but Mullies are just a fish, theres heaps of em. Study em properly listen to those with the runs on the board, and do what they tell ya.You'll go from never seeing em to nailing many per session. Next few months are usually a pretty good time of year. I wont wish ya luck, you wont need it you'll earn em ;)[/quote']I know what youre saying mate and you are right. I do try my best to learn as much from zero fish days as I do from any kind of successes.Also, I agree that listening to people with the runs on the board is very important.Anyway, I went hard trying to find some Mulloway again and would have been happy with a nest of schoolies.... But I arsed a legal fish..... 81cm.... Very happy.