How many of you guys have gone over to coffins and seen these monsters swim straight past your Gardie or salmon trout? Or even worse come up to the bait and scare the bejeezus out of it then swim away? I did too many times so I did the research - took a while but here's the scoop - Have your line and bait ready as you motor up to the hole - 500m downstream from the boatramp on the opposite side (if you have a sounder just follow the ledge till it drops off near the small point half way down the channel) - (there's a house shaped like a pyramid directly opposite) - should drop out to about 30feet....Make heaps of noise! rev your engines - if you have a pump - squirt water onto the surface and watch your sounder (they'll come straight under the boat).....Then drop an unweighted whole big Prawn over - and feed it out........And good Luck! Done it a few times now and it works...If you don't get hit straight away motor up again - stirr them up...... Around melbourne cup time.....Tight Lines.... ;)

got a shack at coffins.. seen them come up dozens of times... aint been lucky enough to hook in yet.. lol but that does sound like an interesting method... my plan is to hook one in the kayak... landing it how ever will be the real issue...

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Wow Del, let me know when you do it - i want to win funniest home videos!!!! That kingie towed me around for half an hour in my boat so let me know where you ended up!! Whatever the case you're going to have the fastest Kayak in the State!!!! Have Fun!!!! :laugh::clap::clap::clap:

GDK.. yeah... it will certainly be interesting... softy and i have both had our yaks down there.. but to no avail at this stage.. though.. didint really give the kings a fair go last trip.. i was happy with 2 sharks off the beach instead ;)

Yeh mate, gunyah and almonta in summer is sharkville, I remember handfeeding a couple of bronzeys at almonta after a salmon session, they were coming into 3 feet of water to get the carcases off us...Re: the kingies - remember to make heaps of noise - seems to get them interested.... ;)

GDK.. yeah... it will certainly be interesting... softy and i have both had our yaks down there.. but to no avail at this stage.. though.. didint really give the kings a fair go last trip.. i was happy with 2 sharks off the beach instead ;)

you need to make a heap of noise Del maybe take a drum kit out with ya!! :P:P:clap::clap:

Moggy, no worries. Yeah they do frequent the tapeweed on their way in - every one I caught had red mullet and prawns in their gut. Funny none had gar or salmon trout.....Don't know whether its the redish colour they're interested in or if its a fav food....The prawns work though....Have fun...

Moggy' date=' no worries. Yeah they do frequent the tapeweed on their way in - every one I caught had red mullet and prawns in their gut. Funny none had gar or salmon trout.....Don't know whether its the redish colour they're interested in or if its a fav food....The prawns work though....Have fun...[/quote']Hi GDKThats interesting to know that they have red mullet and prawns in their stomachs.I guess being in breeding mode when they enter coffins they'll eat whatever is available in order to put on condition.

Nanman, Kingies aren't breeding in coffins - they're cleaning themselves - they go into the shallows at the far end of Kellidie Bay (into a foot of water) in Summer and Scrape the Parasites off their bodies and gills...The water up there gets to 30 degrees and the parasites can't handle that temp...Spent some time with a marine biologist who was doing a phd on kingie parasites and learned a lot.... ;) was a real pisser having to go out every day for weeks and catch kingies! The Snapper on the other hand breed in Kellidie......

Nanman' date=' Kingies aren't breeding in coffins - they're cleaning themselves - they go into the shallows at the far end of Kellidie Bay (into a foot of water) in Summer and Scrape the Parasites off their bodies and gills...The water up there gets to 30 degrees and the parasites can't handle that temp...Spent some time with a marine biologist who was doing a phd on kingie parasites and learned a lot.... ;) was a real pisser having to go out every day for weeks and catch kingies! The Snapper on the other hand breed in Kellidie......[/quote']I guess that makes sense but I do know that with the kings in coffins in summer the males are full of spawn and the females full off eggs.Perhaps they are getting rid of the parasites before heading back out to spawn immediately after.

Nan, thanks mate, will have to get onto my marine biologist friend and tell her about it - we caught 50 odd fish in three seasons and none had spawn or eggs! If you don't mind can you tell me the round about size and how many you saw in season? Thanks in advance. Greg.

Cheers wogboi ;) Manimal, yep theyre like tuna - make heaps of splashing or bubbles and they come straight in - got the idea from the old tuna poling days - we had "Sprayers" on the auto poling machines that spewed water onto the surface around the squid lures - really foamed the water up and the tuna came straight in under the bubbles smashing the lures....Did the same on my boat - set up a bilge pump and a hose and actually had them chasing the water stream at one stage....Really Stirrs them up.....Have a good one... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Is October generally good too for chasing the Kings in Coffins or is November more so the go? Any ideas on general areas that may increase my chances of hookup would be great too as I have never fished there. Is the Ledge everyone talks about the one that divides Coffins from Kellidie Bay, if so do you fish the Kellidie Bay side?

Great infor GDK :woohoo: :clap: :f

Is October generally good too for chasing the Kings in Coffins or is November more so the go? Any ideas on general areas that may increase my chances of hookup would be great too as I have never fished there. Is the Ledge everyone talks about the one that divides Coffins from Kellidie Bay' date=' if so do you fish the Kellidie Bay side?[/quote']Spot "K" for Kingies is in GDKs first story TBone ;)

TBone, Melbourne cup time onwards is usually when you start chasing them.... ;) And yeh, I gave directions on where to fish earlier in this piece...I do fish the ledge side predominately but I have also seen fish cruising up the town side of the channel as well...(a bit too much boat traffic to contend with if you have a hookup on the town side) and you get a few floating ballons off the points there so it gets a bit clustered... You'll have more chance boating one if you fish the ledge....Cheerz... ;)

Afishyfish' date=' yeh, have a go - everyone has their spots....Was just talking about fishing the channel but I've seen fish right down to longnose and beyond and at goat - so have a go...Good luck... ;)[/quote']I haven't fished down there for years GDK :( I'm told the islands far side can be a good Snapper spot later in the year B) Not too sure if many goats woukld fit on it though :lol: