biggest land based Thresher shark

Hi GuysDid a trip down the foot this week and hooked two big threshes in two days.The first take was early evening on the first night when line ripped from the spool and a series of massive splashes had us unsure of what we had hooked. After about 30 min we got our first look and realised it was a big thresher. It slugged it out for another half an hour resisting with its massive tail. When we finally had it beaten we managed to walk it down to the rocks and tried to release it with no avail, It wouldn't swim and even though I was stoked about catching it I was devastated it wouldn't swim away.We decided not to waste the shark and then had the task of trying to lift the thing up the jetty. We rigged up a couple of ropes and made a pulley system and eventually got it onto the jetty. At at between 7-8ft it was an awesome creature and we took some pics before taking as much meat as we could so not to waste the thing. I also took the tail home which I reckon will make a great wall mount in the shed when it drys.The second Take was mid arvo the next day which saw an even faster take and a series of massive jumps. We had hooked an even bigger Thresher this time and it emptied most of the 15kg line on the first run. This shark had way more power and had us thinking we may be spooled as it got into the current out from the headland. Eventually I turned its head and had gained some line back. To cut a long story short the shark made several attempts at gaining its freedom by heading straight for the jetty. This was countered by free spooling the line and allowing the shark to swim with minimal pressure. Usually the shark will swim out away from the jetty in to deeper water and then you apply more drag pressure again. This technique worked a treat and after wearing him down we had him at the side of the jetty for some pics and video footage. This time we were very careful and revived the shark before cutting him off to fight another day. This shark was 10ft plus as the jetty pylons are 20ft apart and with his nose on one his tail touched the other. What an awesome experience to get two in two days,I had landed a good thresher at giles a few years back but this 10ftr was my biggest to datewill add some pics later todayRegards Azza1

Azza, a great post in my view, which has brought a couple of things to light.The first is that you chose to let the drag off! In the heat of the moment, we all tend to tighten the drag, increase the hurt, and try to slow, stop, turn the fish, and in many cases this actually acheives the opposite and makes the fish fight back even harder. If you can keep a cool head, sometimes backing off a little can actually have a better affect and allow the fish to be lead in the direction you want like leading a puppy dog. Once you have it where you want, the drag can then be increased to tire the fish and play it out. I would not have been as game as you to go as far as freespool though, coz I'd be too scared once the fish took off, by me suddenly taking up the slack line I may be busted off.The second is that you mentioned "drying" and mounting the tail.....something new to me. Could you elaborate on this and explain how it's done?ps: Hope you have a BIG freezer, and I look forward to seeing the pics!

Gday Ranger,Ive never tried it this time of year have seen dried mulloway,flathed heads and some massive porkipine fish that were dried out that looked cool so Im hoping it will work with the tail. I have a 500L chest freezer so I may keep it frozen till it warms up again and have a go then.Regards Azza1

Guest davidm#2

the fishing king of yorkes strikes YET again.great catch mate. i didnt think you would get threshers there.any chance on what bait?? did you use small rigs or normal shark rigcheers

Gday Ranger' date='Ive never tried it this time of year have seen dried mulloway,flathed heads and some massive porkipine fish that were dried out that looked cool so Im hoping it will work with the tail. [/quote']I'll be very interested to hear how you go with it, don't forget to keep us up to date!

@barbz the rope and chain has a drop gaff on the end of it If you have a close look you can just see it,looks like a 10/0 against the size of the shark though. I gaffed it in the bottom jaw to lead it to the steps for release. Otherwise it would be swimming around with 6ft of wire and a 15ft of mono leader. regards azza1

• 3 weeks later...

hey Barbz,I was using whole salmon with the tail filleted out, salmon were only about 1/2 to 1 kg so plenty small enough for a threshers small mouth. The one I got a couple of years back at giles was on a snook of about 2 kg and have heard of them taking hooked snapper off peoples lines so they will take on larger prey items. Having said that getting a solid hookup can be harder with larger baits.regards aaron