Hey team- I've noticed that high grade, high powered slingshots are re emerging in some tackle stores. They are marketed as distributing pellet stlye baits in the surf. I haven't seen slingshots for sale for ages, although i remember gun shops and Super Elliots always stocked them.About 20 years ago I got busted by the cops in possession of one and got in strife. I have checked several websites and it appears that sling shots are legal, providing they don't have a wrist brace- which seems strange but fair enough.Tthe ones i've seen in tackle stores don't have a wrist brace by the way. My research has lead me to the conclusion that slingshots are, and always have been legal.Wouldn't mind firing a few aniseed pellets seaward to bring in the mullet! ;):sun::sh Problem is, everyman and his dog ha a different theory on this one....Lets open this one up to discussion?

GREAT TOPIC' date=' what price are they selling for. Used to have a surgical rubber slingshot myself when I was a kid. Im interested in getting another one to shoot frozen burley balls out off the rocks?[/quote']Got one at stepney have them on the counter, from memory they are $50-$60 but don't quote me on that. I'll double check tonight when I get bait.
Seems with a brace they are illegal' date=' tho what difference that really makes who knows :huh: This shoiuld cover it ;)http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/sapol/services/firearms_weapons/weapons_body_armour/faqs_weapons.jsp[/quote']With a brace you can actually pull the projectile further back as all the pressure is taken off of the wrist and transfered to the arm. This could be the difference between piercing skin with the projectile. Having said that sling shot and ball bearings can do a huge amount of damage!
I got busted by the cops in possession of one and got in strife. I have checked several websites and it appears that sling shots are legal' date=' providing they don't have a wrist brace- [/quote']Correct on both counts.Legal without a brace, illegal with, but having said that, the law is a funny thing.If you have one with your fishing tackle, all is well, as it's for a set purpose.If you are walking through the city with one in your back pocket, it can then be classed as an offensive weapon, as you really have no legal reason to be carrying it around the city.
Seems with a brace they are illegal' date=' tho what difference that really makes who knows :huh: This shoiuld cover it ;)http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/sapol/services/firearms_weapons/weapons_body_armour/faqs_weapons.jsp[/quote']With a brace you can actually pull the projectile further back as all the pressure is taken off of the wrist and transfered to the arm. This could be the difference between piercing skin with the projectile. Having said that sling shot and ball bearings can do a huge amount of damage!
Quite cheap for a bag of marbles.... :whistle: :whistle: Sambo

I do a lot of coarse fishing and a catapult is a very important part of my tackle box.For example if fishing for trout with gents and a waggler float,you have special pouches that you flick out a few gents around your float,feeding them little and often.Same as sweetcorn or any burley.There are catapults ready made for this.Sorry to say that one pictured would be next to useless for burleying,the pouches we use are like a cone in which you put your chosen burley...the one pictured is a dead set hunting model,in fact all the ones I see for sale here are,they arent fishing ones at all,someone is just importing them and using the "burley throwing" use as a loophole/cover up,to get them here sell them.Useless for fishing.This link shows fishing ones.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLFiO3hX_Qc&feature=related

• 2 weeks later...

I got myself one mid last year from the Outdoors Shop on the main street in Victor Harbor close to the Granite Island bridge. For the basic ones they sell for $30 or the ones with a larger grip they sell for $50. Haven't used mine to often but sometime they do seem to be quite useful but a lot of the time they arn't really used for fishing purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah i got quite a few of them, i usually freeze up some Jaffas and set up a bit of a target range in my back yard. I got mine as i have a huge gumtree out the front and whenever im working in the garden the bloody birds go crazy with there alarm calls so i fire a few around the place and sends em scattering. I used to get mine from that new tackle shop on port road beverly next to the pet shop and supermarket cant remember the name, but they dont sell them anymore but there salisbury store does, i get my from mount barker now when visiting friends up that way allways plenty in stock and just bought a new band for one which apparently heavy duty will shoot a ballbearing through galvanised iron fence, not that ive tried it yet