Best way to rig live bait

I use the bridle when chasing some fish. The other option is a double smelled gang' date=' with one hook in the shoulder, and another toward the back. If using a live gar, one hook thru the tail wrist and a smaller "stinger" below seems to work for me.[/quote']Yeah, look I'm a big fan of the double snelled approach, and consider it really important (current permitting) to have your livie facing head first away from you and your trace!!For snapper it really doesn't matter much as theyBITE and crunch but mulloway teeth will pin the bait, like hold it, then swallow. If they do try engulf it, the trace can get in the way because they want the fish Head First. A top lip hook, or indeed a bridle might be necessary so you don't drown yer livie, but not in my opinion ideal. And let's face it, in the estuary setting, slow water is your ideal mully time anyway. Any fish I've taken in decent current have been on dead baits!! And this is what the guys do in the surf and it works well. My thoughts anyway
I use the bridle when chasing some fish. The other option is a double smelled gang' date=' with one hook in the shoulder' date=' and another toward the back. If using a live gar, one hook thru the tail wrist and a smaller "stinger" below seems to work for me.[/quote'']Yeah, look I'm a big fan of the double snelled approach, and consider it really important (current permitting) to have your livie facing head first away from you and your trace!!For snapper it really doesn't matter much as theyBITE and crunch but mulloway teeth will pin the bait, like hold it, then swallow. If they do try engulf it, the trace can get in the way because they want the fish Head First. A top lip hook, or indeed a bridle might be necessary so you don't drown yer livie, but not in my opinion ideal. And let's face it, in the estuary setting, slow water is your ideal mully time anyway. Any fish I've taken in decent current have been on dead baits!! And this is what the guys do in the surf and it works well. My thoughts anyway
Exactly my thoughts. :clap:

Hey ppl, I only ever use one hook in the shoulder about half an inch behind the head/body join & about an eighth of an inch under the skin, swim around like crazy all night if the mullies don`t get `em. Then you can release `em to fight another day if they don`t get chomped on. Works for me. Cheers

Hey ppl' date=' I only ever use one hook in the shoulder about half an inch behind the head/body join & about an eighth of an inch under the skin, swim around like crazy all night if the mullies don`t get `em. Then you can release `em to fight another day if they don`t get chomped on. Works for me. Cheers[/quote']Jaffa I often use one hook as well and pierce them just behind the dorsal fin. They definitely have more energy this way compared to a two hook rig. It's kind of a trade off though, as two would have a better hook up rate than a one hook rig. But if you have plenty of livies at your service than I'd use a two hook rig so you can change over more often.Ranger's also got a good point there...Nose rigs and bridle rigs are good for slow trolling and in situations where the current is running, otherwise your livey drowns.If your fishing running rigs or situations where there is no current than rigging the livey above the lateral line and piercing your hooks more towards the tail(just behind dorsal fin) is more ideal. I use this method for West Lakes and never miss a hook up ever.