Puffer Fish... 1200 times more poisonous than CYANIDE!

DOGS KILLED BY DISCARDED PUFFER FISHDog walkers on Seacliff beach are being warned to keep their dogs away from dead fish and anglersare being asked to bin unwanted puffer fish instead of throwing them back into the sea.At least three dogs have died and two others have had to be rushed to the vets for treatment in thelast six months.Local dog walker Tony Souter told the Guardian Messenger: “We need to get the message across forpeople to be responsible for their actions and that they‟re harming our dogs. “I look for (puffer fish)every morning... and there‟s a group of us that pick them up and put them in our poo bags.”Sue Blethyn, of Marino, said her WeimaranerHarry died just over an hour after he ate part ofa puffer fish last October.“We were just doing anormal walk on the beach in the morning ...when Harry saw a very dead puffer fish lying onthe beach and ran off with it,” she said. “Itwasn‟t until we got home that he was violentlyill. “For a great, big, strong dog like that to bedead over an hour later was a real shock, it wasterrible.”Almost all puffer fish contain tetrodotoxin, adeadly substance that is 1200 times morepoisonous than cyanide.A spokesman for the SA Recreational FishingAdvisory Council said that puffers were a“nuisance” to fishermen in the area, and it wasvery difficult to get these fish off the hook,leading to anglers sometimes just cutting theline and dropping them back into the water. Headded that they were probably unaware of theharm the discarded fish were doing to dogs.

They die and wash up on the beach all the time. I can't see why you'd involve anglers... Of course we're careless! Pfffft!Cutting off a fish and dropping it into the water doesn't explain why it is on the beach...I've come across hundreds in my time and NEVER seen one with a hook in it. The general gist of the article is good though :) Love my dogs

true story i can remember being on the beach with rod in hand only to turn around and see bongo going through my bait ,ahh poor bongo got more than he bargained for had a hook in him as well once he had finished ,owner very annoyed at me told him to f*&*& off and keep his walking poo machine on a lead ,the amount of dog poos you see on the beach if walking is amazing and then there are the sneaky ones that hide it in the sand when you walk back to your car ohh whats that ahhhhhhh as it is stuck between your toes dogs on leads i saycrispy :)

Yep gotta agree, people run their dogs along the beach without leashes,,I actually encourage the washing up of dead puffers,,great solution to this long standing problem! Never thought I'd be cheering for dead washed up puffers...you beauty! nature has found a the perfect way of erradicating these ignorant 2rd dog owners...hooray 3 cheers for the washed up puffer! :d/:d/:d/:clap::clap::clap:

Yea i think there are certain times when they can be off a lead but it is very earl in the morning or late in the afternoon ,mor i think about it maybe if i fish the beach and catch some puffers ill keep em in me bucket ,dont like seein animals hurt but irresposible owners who have no control over there dogs are even worse ,one tim,e at secliff a few years ago now i was trying to put the boat in the water ,now on all my vehicles i put a reversing beeper so people know what i am doing ,well dingbat ol lady and binky are walking along the beach i start to reverse and binky thinks he will bite my tyres all very funny for ol dingbat until binky nearly goes under the trailer wheel then it was a mouthfull of abuse about banning boats and all other things told her to f^%% off too silly old bat these people beleive that they own the bloody beach when really we all do to many d^%R& heads and never enough bulletscrispy :laugh:

Interestingly enough according to Wikepedia, the puffer-fish doent produce it's own toxin, but ingests it from some of the food it eats, mainly sea-snails and similarSupposedly the fish would then be a good source for an antidote too :huh:

That's it. I'm starting a Puffer Fish aquaculture business. :) The Japs love em. Why waste them on dogs?

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: And we're off to a Thai restaraunt tonight.I wonder if puffers are on the menu :huh:

dont hthink youll find them in a thai resteraunt mate maybe sticky rice and bbq squid but i dont know of puffer fish ,i forget how long a chef has to train before he is allowed to serve this dish it is very strickly supervised for obvious reasons :sick: crispy :laugh:

hope im wrong and probably am but i think tony souters name may have come up in the shark fishing fiascosensible dog training is the cure' date='and i wont mention the part about not being leashed[/quote']your right about the connections... also some one may have interest in his failed political aspirations for the Greens...just something ive heard..

Also 1200 times more poisonous is an exaggeration."TTX is roughly 100 times more poisonous than potassium cyanide"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TetrodotoxinAnd then following the reference from Wikipedia"Blowfish poison, called tetrodotoxin, is nearly 100 times more poisonous than potassium cyanide, according to the Ishikawa health service association."http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/27/blowfish-testicles-poison-diners