The 'do fish feel pain?' debate

Here is a great article with some very good points on the 'do fish feel pain?' debate.Hopefully the extremists at PETA read this.After seeing some of their Anti Fishing advertising and propaganda aimed at children the organisation lost all credibility with me.http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/blog-do-fish-have-a-brain-for-pain

Here is a great article with some very good points on the 'do fish feel pain?' debate.Hopefully the extremists at PETA read this.After seeing some of their Anti Fishing advertising and propaganda aimed at children the organisation lost all credibility with me.http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/blog-do-fish-have-a-brain-for-pain

When they started comparing fishing to being a wife beater, rapist AND violent criminal all in the same advert... well I suppose it didn't really change my view of them much but I didn't think they could stoop much lower before that.Good article.

I first raised the "do fish feel pain" debate I recon about 7 years ago now. Back then anglers were unaware, thought the concept quite ridiculous to even question, and I was surprised at how many anglers actually believe fish CAN feel pain, despite research to the contrary.In fairness, even amongst the experts debate STILL reigns and camps are split, yet there is constantly growing support that fish CANNOT feel pain.........as the article states, it's something we may never actually know. What we do know is that they respond to external stimuli, but they lack nociceptors and other crucial structures required to "feel" the pain response.As far as I'm concerned, fish are purposely exempt from the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1985.........there's got to be a very good reason for that! Could it be that it's recognised by our legislators that fish "cannot" feel pain as we know it?

Chief and UglyI respectfully beg to differ with your conclusions - I can provide you with evidence which unequivocally indicates that even certain species of mammals (to wit, exemplified by Wile E. Coyote) are not just incapable of feeling pain but have phenomenal physiological recuperative capability even after significant body trauma has been occassioned.http://purpletigercreations.com/Portfolio/portfolio/web/roadRunner/latin.htmThis evidence has been around for decades and was gathered over a protracted period - and there is a large body of research in terms of archival video footage to support that contention, if you would just care to google for it.The science is settled.[beep, beep] :)

Had a quick browse through some anti fishing sites today.Apparently eating fish is very dangerous as it is full of toxins.Will cause you to get cancer. And is full of fat and cholesterol.These sites also have dedicated children's sections.That run through different scenarios.Eg. 'what to say to your friend if he or she asks you to come fishing'