Cockling ...........worth the drive for one person?

depends how big they are :Pdollar wise, its probably only just worth it, depending on your fuel use. if you count your time spent however....when i went last I took my gf and her friend, we got our 900. when I bagged them up I put 75 cockles in each bag giving me 12 bags... so if I went alone I would have got 4 bags. each bag weighs roughly 500g (maybe more). so thats about $30-$40 worth for a one person effort.how much fuel would you burn? how much time would you spend? do you count it as a fun day out collecting cockles by yourself?I'd say don't bother for only one persons quota, gather up some friends and some kids etc and make it a fun day out.

Last time I did it we made a family day of it with the kids, sister, in laws etc.We had a great day on the beach, played some cricket and footy just chilled for the day and came home with bout 1200 cockles by memory. If you plan on going just for cockles not really worth it but make a nice day out with family and the cockles are a bonus

I used to collect cockles, but I don't bother anymore. Too far for me to travel for limited numbers, as I live way out the northern side of town, and with the fuel I burn in the 4wd, I may as well save the inconvenience and the thrashing around in the surf, and just buy them as I need them.In having said that, I guess if you've got kids, it can still make for a fun day out and something different for them. The kids each also get a 300 limit if they're collecting, so as a family you can gain decent numbers.....I don't have kids though.

Last time i went down was about 2 years ago took the ex and step daughter and had a great day with a bbq after at pt elliot my biggest problem was the next day i got burnt to buggery on the face and arms (short sleeve steamer ) remember the sunscreen ,it was my first time at cockling and i thought it was a great day out for the family had the ex do all the measuring hahahaha i just did the finding for anyone with children i would reccomend it money aint everything and they will remember it and probably bug you to go again crispy :)

Dan,I also measured my thumb from joint 1 to joint 2 and its 38mm so just held each cockle to my thumb. Saved fumbling around for the measure for any that I wasn't sure were legal. It was our first time last Nov, pulled up at the main carpark walked straight out from there, 45 mins later me & "G" had over 400. But don't turn ya back on the waves, we got pummelled.Andrew

Do the same thing PS, thumb measure, after a while you don't even need to measure because you just know what is definitely legal.also keep an eye out for stingrays, lots down there. i was kneeling in the wash with my back to the sea digging away and had a bloody stingray swim over my legs sucking up the cockles that were rushing through my legs! never have i gotten up so fast in my life, would have been a sight to see :D