My Mulloway Surf Rod/Reel/Line?

G'day guys,Putting together a bit of a list of gear to buy as my journey to salt creek draws closer, gathered from searched info found on this site and others... Have I done my research well enough for a mid range surf setup?Daiwa Sensor Surf 13'/2pc, 20-40lb, 3-6oz - $259 - Is there a cheaper rod of equal quality?Penn Spinfisher 850 SSM Reel - $99 - Anyone own one that can vouch for these as they're quite cheap in price?)Jinkai 80lb or 100lb Leader?Mono line - 30lb - What brand?My main reason for this thread is what brand of mono are people using? I've read a lot about braids and 30lb seems to be the go for both but I can't find anything on what brand mono people are using?Cheers,kadava

Berkley have good Mono. I use 30lb Trilene. Never had a problem with it. Have found that Braid is a pain in the ass in the surf.Don't use PENN gear so can't help with that part. I use Overheads for the surf.As for the rod, I have heard the Sensor Surf is a great rod but my personal preference is Snyder Glas. Only draw back is the Snyder can feel heavy after a while.I am sure that whatever you do chose to go with, you will be fine. Make sure you get a 'feel' for the combo in the shop before you purchase and you should be good to go!

Hey mate, I was in the same predicament a few weeks ago. I already had the Penn Spinfisher 850 SSM. I went into Ray and Annes and they sorted me out. They said that the sensor surf is good, but for the price, the Shimano Beach Basher for $139. I went with a Japanese mono line, not sure the brand, as he said it is better quality than the Chinese line. The Spinfisher doesn't lay braid well. I went with a 30lb mono line. I can highly recommend the guys at Ray and Annes. The Penn Spinfisher is a good reel though. I like it. These thread helped me.http://www.strikehook.com/forum/35-bait-tackle/228427-surf-rodhttp://www.strikehook.com/forum/22-saltwater-fishing/225663-pen-spinfisher

Not really a fan of braid in the surf myself kadava.Im told it doesnt like the sand too much, while mono will give u better abrasion resistance so keep that in mind if u start thinking of btaid ;) It seems big mullies down that way are pretty rare so 100lb may be a bit much, and result in fewer bites.Schneider and maxima are a trusted brand, tho they may be made in China now :unsure:

Spin fishers are good' date=' but don't lay braid well. My favourite mono is platypus "lo-stretch" in orange. I'm not a fan of the sensor surf, but others love them! So I'm no good to u with that bit[/quote']I can vouch for Lo-Stretch on bigger gear as it's what I've been using for a long while on my mully rod (although not in orange and not a surf rod).Feels a lot closer to braid than mono but obviously has much better abrasion resistance when fishing off the rocks, which is where I use it most.
  • 5 weeks later...

Well yesterday I drove down to Ray & Annes and got hooked up!Daiwa GS9 reelShimano Beach Basher 12ft 10-15kg 2 piece rod80lb Jinkai leader and the guy reccomended some STREN 30lb mono for the job.Thanks for all the advice, now I'm about 3 weeks away from my first trip to Salt Creek with all the gear and no idea :D

Daiwa GS9 reelShimano Beach Basher 12ft 10-15kg 2 piece rod80lb Jinkai leader and the guy recommended some STREN 30lb mono for the job.

Pretty close to my set up, every things the same except I have a Penn Spinfisher 850. Other than that, completely the same. Let us know how you go as well.
G'day guys' date='Putting together a bit of a list of gear to buy as my journey to salt creek draws closer, gathered from searched info found on this site and others... Have I done my research well enough for a mid range surf setup?Daiwa Sensor Surf 13'/2pc, 20-40lb, 3-6oz - $259 - Is there a cheaper rod of equal quality?Penn Spinfisher 850 SSM Reel - $99 - Anyone own one that can vouch for these as they're quite cheap in price?)Jinkai 80lb or 100lb Leader?Mono line - 30lb - What brand?My main reason for this thread is what brand of mono are people using? I've read a lot about braids and 30lb seems to be the go for both but I can't find anything on what brand mono people are using?Cheers,kadava[/quote']Gday mate, I use maxima ultragreen 30lb and it wears really well....The gs9 is a great reel - a real 4wd low range stump puller - I think they are geared down to about 3 to 1 but never liked the fact that they only hold about 220yds of 30....I run 9500ss penns and have seen the inside of the spool a few times on a big mully and they hold over 300yds packed on so i suppose that is the only drawback...rods - well im a big fella so i run a wilson fsu 6144 with added butt for more casting purchase as my no.1 rod and I have snyder fsu 5120s as back up rods - but this is up to the induvidual....find a rod that fits you....Hope you do well at salties - should be a good year down there for xos mullies! Cheers...

I'm definitely going to try an Alvey one day!As soon as I enquired about the GS9 the bloke said to me if you were stranded on an island thats the reel you wanna have with you. the BG90 felt a bit smoother but I don't mind the clunkyness of the GS9, I said to the bloke I'm not very good at rod / reel maintenance and he thought the GS9 sounded right for me.As for the Shimano Beach Basher he had designed he said they were good (ofcourse he would tho lol), I guess I'll wait and see, not that I've used a lot of kits to compare it too. The combo feels good, really feels like I can pelt out a bit of weight, I guess time will tell :)

If you like Penn then go with your reel you suggested, but i would not use the diawa. doubt it weights up correctly. try the Penn 5120 at around 10 foot 6 i think. As a few others have said it comes to personal preference and how many gold coins you want to part with.I use the Baitrunners as my bait rod/reel combo. 6500b on my 6120, and a 4500b on the 4120. for banging lures a stradic 5000 on my 9ft 4 piece revolution turve, the 5000 mainly for the fast retrieve speed.ill be honest and say for fishing reels i'm a shimano snob, but I have a couple CY Diawa and 3 Okuma Vsystem reels. Rodworks, Penn Sports and texalium livefibre Rods sneak in to my collection to.THe penn reel you mention is heavy but bullet proof. a lot of people on here love them but they arent for me - hence my previous statement "it comes to personal preference"Jinkai or Black Majic for leaders.in terms of mono it will depend on if you actually want stretch or not. the platypus super 100 is what i used becasue i liked some stretch - until a bit battle with a ray stretched the hell out of it. to the point it didnt fit on the reel. AS someone mentioned i do like the Trilene. i use 50lb on an overhead combo.Sorry about my random comments through out.All the best and Enjoy your fishing.

Info from another forum.only a few days ago.....Here is a pic of an 87lb mully I caught Wednesday night. It was 160cm in length and fought like a freight train, it just kept going and going. Obviously it's my biggest mully yet so I kept her and will be taking her to the taxidermist tomorrow to get a full body mount.I use penn spinfishers 850 loaded with 50lb braid. For a rig I just use two 8/0 hooks snooded on 80lb leader to a three way swivel and a 4oz surf sinker on the bottom.2012_1.jpg