How hard is it to farm a few cockles?

Have you though about going down to Goolwa & getting a few.Last year, my wife & son went down & met up with some other Strike & Hookers.We got our quota of 900 in 1 1/2 hours & had a ball.Cost was about $50 for fuel, so it was worth while day with a bit of fun.We don't use a lot of cockles these days as we use a lot of squid tentacles as a preferred bait.For about 2 years now I haven't used any bought bait as we are always catching squid, slimies, STs, tomies and whiting heads for bait.I know this doen't answer your question, but my two bobs worth B)

It sort off does answer some off my question Moggy, the 900 quota bit :) and yes was keen on making a day off it, just no idea off were to go? or how to go about it? do you need anything? ie 4x4 to get there? and yes would be happy to go with someone that knows what there doing or someone that doesn't like me :) Just never done it b4 B)

How hard? let me explainSuper G & I went last year for our first time, I need a knee replacement & she hasn't worked for 2 years coz of illnesses. drove to the carpark(all bitumen) and walked 50 feet to the waters edge and dug 3-4 inches and bingo 450 cockles in 40 minutes.I believe this area is off limits so you gotta go down the beach a ways by car/4x4 so we are going as a group this year hopefully as I have a AWD but haven't been off road really yet.As for the measurers phone PIRSA, the girl there is great & I had them & crab measurers & stickers & info the next day FREE in the mail box. RegardsSnakePS watch out for rogue waves they sat us on our assesPPS between my first & second knuckles of my thumb is 37 mm so any under that size i just threw back

dont forget the sun screen either it dont feel like it but you will get sunburnt ,and dont forget to let your tyres down a bit before heading along the beach track as the last time i went there i had to help someone out of a bog right in the middle of the track as they didnt let there tyres down ,apart from pissing me of i nearly got creamed by some dick coming over the other way when helping these people out, so let your tyres down because if not i will drive straight past and get all the cockles,seriously when people dont do this it churns up the exit to the beach something cronic they just gun there vehicles and tear it to peices then you have trouble getting back of the beach to go home

Here it is from PIRSAArea restrictions remain in place at Goolwa Beach until the end of the season, with fishers only permitted to take Pipi along the stretch of beach from the Murray Mouth to 5 km south of Beach Road, Goolwa Beach. A closure is in place from 5 km south of Beach Road, Goolwa Beach to Middleton Point (near Mill Terrace at Middleton). The season will reopen on 1 November 2012.Collecting cockles is the way to go. a good idea is take non fishers with you so you can take the bag limit per person but remember the possesion limits are in place as well.Im heading down thursday and continually re stock after a surf. Probably will buy a cockle rake/net to make life easier this year. or sit back and let the kids do it they love it.I havent bought cockles for several years so you can spend your money on better quality equipment.

Here it is from PIRSAArea restrictions remain in place at Goolwa Beach until the end of the season' date=' with fishers only permitted to take Pipi along the stretch of beach from the Murray Mouth to 5 km south of Beach Road, Goolwa Beach. A closure is in place from 5 km south of Beach Road, Goolwa Beach to Middleton Point (near Mill Terrace at Middleton).[/quote']Im fairly sure this piece of info was for closures and restrictions during last season press release 24 may 2012.does not state restrictions 5km south of beach rd in the latest press release for opening of season 2012/13 on the pirsa board.
This was mentioned in chat about getting some from goolwa? I remember Reading somewhere there was a limit? Whats involved in farming them? Or do i continue to pay 12 DOLLARS for 12 pippies [/quote']farming cockles would be an elaborate set up - you'd need a constant supply of fresh running seawater - a helluva lot of sand and lots of space to stock juveniles - at 2 bucks a kilo I dont think anyone ever thought about it but at 15 and up???? food for thought :blink: :S :whistle: :pinch: :P;)B):blink: Getting a few at goolwa bch is childs play - its a great day out and a couple of trips will see you stocked up for the year...I just stop for ten mins on the way up to the mouth and get plenty...
Thanks A.F.F' date=' For that link! Who EATS COCKLES? Shame on you whoever you are:) You the reason we spend over $40 a kilo on our bait,( was $2 few yrs back) Ever heard off oysters killpatric? yum yum, Dont be so cheap and oysters put lead in ya pencil :) cockles well its just not right....[/quote']squid lipsWhat's the old saying? "Don't knock it unless you've tried it!"Nothing wrong with oysters - nothing wrong with cockles...Same as nothing wrong with peaches - nothing wrong with mangoes...Two totally different things, each enjoyable in their own right.Cheersaf ;)

enjoy your day slresearch ive done in the pass is that you have to reach govt criteria if your are returning anything to the water thats been farmed dead or alive from memory.i was wanting to grow livebait,think used to have a farm up broughton way but this got canned too,think it was about the possibilities of escapees before being tested :S

I like to "harvest"the goolwa pipi personally' date=' using the age old tradition of floundering around aimlessly in the wash an being walloped bye incoming dumpers,also protecting the pipi by supplying them a pair of sunglasses annually :blink:B) Cheers 4THA[/quote']Lost my Ray Bans last year, most expensive cockles i ever got :pinch: