One born every day

Hi all well i have been looking at alvey reels on ebay ,just to see wat they go for compared with retail ,anyway i am watching this boat reel starts of at around 25.00 so i thin it will maybe go for 40.00 max,anyway i go to anglers warehouse to check out the price of a new one ,it goes for 59.00 brand new same reel ,but brand new .By now this reel has gone to 89.00 and im thinking this has gotta be a joke ,check it out tonight it sold for 102.00 +freight as the title says one born every day what a mug . :laugh:

Hi cal yea squizatme seems to be about the best ,this guy was a private seller the problem was the guy bidding was a newbie and obviously didnt check the new price before he bid ,i cannot beleive he paid 102.00 for a real valued at 59.00 brand new maybe he was paying for the corrosion ,the guy selling it was laughing all the way to the bank probably picked it up for 5.00 at a garage sale ,the anglers warehouse is fair on there prices but i dont know what there shiping charges are like ,fishing wholesaler is another place here as well as bcf to look if you want new not to sure about there pricing though have to check it out . I will always try to get a bargain on the ebay if can though but you have to know your prices for the item golden rule before you bid .

Ihave done a lot of trading on ebay as a seller and as a buyer ,yes i have been stung once or twice not for great ammounts though ,do you know where the item was coming from ? australia not overseas,i have never had a problem with overseas shipments ,the worst one i had was from right here in adelaide ,most rods are made overseas and i would say most reels are to unless it states on the packaging "made in australia" then it will be from one of the asian nations ,there quality is fairly good ,even Alvey get there rods made overseas ,the reels are still made in brisbane ,your lures ,line ,braid ,jigs are all made in another country so i wouldnt be to worried about if they come from malaysia ,if your concerned about payment or being ripped of use paypal they have buyer protection ,just out of curiosity next time you go to big w check the labels on 90% of the clothing ,then wander down to the fishing dept and have a look there i bought some sinkers the other day didnt look where they were from, made in vietnam ,if its good enough for the major retailers then i rest my case your honor

Ihave done a lot of trading on ebay as a seller and as a buyer ' date='yes i have been stung once or twice not for great ammounts though ,do you know where the item was coming from ? australia not overseas,i have never had a problem with overseas shipments ,the worst one i had was from right here in adelaide ,most rods are made overseas and i would say most reels are to unless it states on the packaging "made in australia" then it will be from one of the asian nations ,there quality is fairly good ,even Alvey get there rods made overseas ,the reels are still made in brisbane ,your lures ,line ,braid ,jigs are all made in another country so i wouldnt be to worried about if they come from malaysia ,if your concerned about payment or being ripped of use paypal they have buyer protection ,just out of curiosity next time you go to big w check the labels on 90% of the clothing ,then wander down to the fishing dept and have a look there i bought some sinkers the other day didnt look where they were from, made in vietnam ,if its good enough for the major retailers then i rest my case your honor[/quote']There were some Aeros from Malaysia and Japan. I don't have a credit card or anything so I only really buy things which accept money orders, which still isnt really prefered hahah. Mayby someone can help me????? :P

You can use international money orders. BUT check with the seller first to see if they are accepted! I've used that method before. Obviously PayPal is ideal for overseas purchases (and it is relatively safe as Ale mentioned) and a lot of overseas sellers will only accept PP. Not trusting PP is a personal opinion of mine due to a bad experience several years ago.

Intrested in how you got scammed and lost Boyo!!paypal has returned funds for me no worries if I followed all the correct avenue.Most recent one was I had some dodgy fkr sell me fake chinese Bosch fuel pumps via ebay. Advertised as genuine, in genuine boxes, but once on my door step after getting stung for extra postage, the actaul pumps had no Bosch stamps and plenty of other well known traits of fakes. Cos the guy refused to answer mine and paypals emails,I provided plenty of proof in regards to fakes and after a certain time I got my $$$ refunded no worries!! still got to keep the fake ones aswell.Been scammed at least 3 times with fake purchases on our credit card, aslong as you can prove you never authorized it and the people that have taken the funds dont provide any good evidence you made the paymenst, you get refunds.I admit, you have to wait it out and send a few emails out if "shit" happens, but the benifits of online shopping well outweigh the potential pitfalls if you take a bit of time to set your self up.After a while, you learn to read all the conditions, and pick up on the scams and white lies.Mosler, setting up paypal is super easy bloke,if you can set up a facebook account, u can do this.Can even call them on the phone whilst your doing it just to make sure its done right. Once is set up, u link it to a secure email only you have the access to and your set,the small fees you pay far outweigh the savings you make.Then the world wide web is your oyster!! :clap: Im partial to a bit if "bid snipping" aswell, and has again saved me hundreds over the years

you can go to the post office and get these load & go cards, all you do is put money on them at the post office and then you can buy whatever on the net. you can put as much or little on there and recharge when ever you can get to a post office. its not pay pal but ive bought a fair bit of gear now and have neva had any troubles, look for the sellers with 'top rated seller' next to their names.i couldnt be bothered with the bank and that either. Its always good to have $20 or so on their so you can put small bids on and see if you get lucky.

Alvey's may not be that popular here but in Queensland you see them on most fishing spots.When i last used a alvey was about 4 years ago,but doing a price search i’ve noticed they haven’t dropped in price at all during this time.Ebay does have a good choice on there.As for scammers i got done twice and paypal had paid me and currently waiting on a refund from a few weeks ago.My fault it was just too good a bargain ended up being a stolen account was used at there end.Should get my refund next weekQueensland beach..ge5693100885061057906.jpg

Hi aus thats bad to hear you have been ripped of ,i sell gear on ebay and this makes it hard for honest sellers ,one bonus is you at least get your money back i dont know why these people do this ,i know it might sound like i am telling you to suck eggs but i use this saying all the time "if it looks to good to be true then it probably is" i have learnt in life that you get nothing for nothing unless it is family or a great mate anyone else is out to rip you off seen in my work life and out of work hope your refund comes through soon.

I buy and sell a fair bit from fleabay, Ive always used paypal, never had any issues with them as i buy allot from the US and dont trust putting my CC details online.I had some fool buy a s/steel bow sprit from me a few weeks back, I told him it was buckled and twisted, still worked. A brand new one cost $80 and i sold it for $67 plus postage @ $14= $81 there are some fools out there :laugh: It pays to do a bit of research before buying anything

You are right there dt ,last night i nearly died when i saw how much he bought the reel for ,one thing i have learnt about buying online is know your prices ,if you dont then you will end up in a world of hurt ,i was at fishing wholesalers today and they had exactly the same reel as what this bone head bought brand new ,i should buy it and put it up on ebay he might have a brother only problem is they probably share the same body :laugh: