Alan Hawk Review of the Stella 2013

LOL:"Well, hair grosses me out whether it's in my food or my reel. While removing this thing I tried to convince myself that it could be the pubic hair of a cute Japanese girl to make the job easier, but the logic part in my brain kept saying that it's not very likely that Shimanos are assembled by a bunch of frolicking naked ladies, so that mental image wouldn't work" :laugh::laugh:

big read man... wont be rushing to go pay 1.3k for it after reading that..think the go is get a older 1 while you still can..i always liked the catalina tho and he def gives it the thumbs up on his 'best offshore reel' list. pretty much a saltiga without the price tagthanks for posting mate

Haha love this quote by alan"On the downside though it has a lot more plastic inside and out, big play in the shaft, it's tighter to spin due to seals even though they still tell us it's not waterproof, has downgraded gearing, bail closure is counter intuitive, the very useful service port is gone, and now it has become one of the heaviest spinning reels in production"He doesnt seem too impressed with the price he paid for the reel he recievedGood thorough indepth read anywaysIll Stick to my Saltigasthey have never let me downand quality internal and external parts :clap:

It is a great read and his reviews are by far the best you will find. He doesn't seem at all impressed with the price he paid as the previous model was cheaper and built with better parts, which is a shame. It looks as if the 08 stella and 10 Saltiga are still the best spinning reels money can buy; followed buy the Penn torques which he says will be the most reliable by far and you could even pass down to your kids if you wanted lol

If your eyes are shot, JM, so are mine:http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.htmlWas the Stella ever in the Top 5? (I'm a relative newcomer to Alan Hawk's site - hence the question.)CheersafP.S. On a brighter note, it's pleasing to note my budget-price Fin-Nor Offshore has been removed from his "not recommended" list... :whistle:

If your eyes are shot' date=' JM, so are mine:http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.htmlWas the Stella ever in the Top 5? (I'm a relative newcomer to Alan Hawk's site - hence the question.)CheersafP.S. On a brighter note, it's pleasing to note my budget-price Fin-Nor Offshore has been removed from his "not recommended" list... :whistle:[/quote']Yeah the 2008 model stella sw still remains in Alan Hawk's opinion as the greatest spin reel ever made. This is why i bought one.Far as i understand the the 2008 model as scored the highest ever...i think 94/100.The Z Model Saltiga is a close second.Unfortuantely Shimano and Daiwa have really dropped the ball with their latest offerings.

I love reading Alan Hawk's reviews. To be honest I don't understand pretty much what he is saying in engineering terms. One thing that stands out to me is the cost of making these reels strong enough to handle the drag and crank pressures put on them and then sealing all the points where water access. When I consider the problem of turning rotation of the handle in one plane into the movement of the rotor in another plane with some oscillation I can't help but think of helicopters. And we all know they shouldn't fly. :blink: If only I could cast poppers with a big lever drag overhead then I wouldn't need these machines designed by Satan himself. :evil:

If only I could cast poppers with a big lever drag overhead then I wouldn't need these machines designed by Satan himself. :evil:

:whistle: :whistle: Why the need for a big lever drag , look at these, you could load the small ones with anything from PE 3 - 8 Shimano Talica or a Shimano Tyrnos just cost a heap too....... :woohoo: :evil:
If only I could cast poppers with a big lever drag overhead then I wouldn't need these machines designed by Satan himself. :evil:
:whistle: :whistle: Why the need for a big lever drag ' date=' look at these' date=' you could load the small ones with anything from PE 3 - 8 [/quote'']Throw me a bone. :lol: Look at what?
:whistle: :whistle: Why the need for a big lever drag ' date=' look at these' date=' you could load the small ones with anything from PE 3 - 8 [/quote'']Throw me a bone. :lol: Look at what?
These for throwing ya PoppersShimano Talica or a Shimano Tyrnostyrnos.jpgTalica.JPG

You can knackers ' date='the Avets are great casting reels[one of the best'] they are all lever drags ,not priced too badly either if you buy from the US,rated as one of the finest reels as well.Compact in size but fight above their weight, huge fish associated with being caught on way bigger reels have been caught on them. B)http://www.avetreels.net/MX_SERIES_REELS.phpalso check this one out in actionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IYe4AuGBD8

Thanks guys,I'm looking for a reel with the drag of a stella or dogfight plus the ability to cast a popper just as far for GTs. I'll be spending 4-6 weeks later this year around Exmouth. Whilst I prefer overheads I don't think I can cast these type of poppers anywhere near the required distance with a 16 size overhead reel or above.http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/lures/large-hard-body-lures-poppers-gts-kingfish-tuna-etc/halco-roosta-popper-195-haymaker/http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/lures/large-hard-body-lures-poppers-gts-kingfish-tuna-etc/river2sea-dumbell-poppers/ I have a spheros 14000 with 80 lb braid but it is a bit "clunky". Shouldn't have used my mates dogfight. As an aside I caught one GT recently on a brand new river to sea popper and the entire finish on the lure dissappeared after one hit and one fish.If you have used a Talica, Tyrnos or avet how far can they realistically cast a fairly light popper or slider?