Fishing Superstitions

I was inspired by the posts on taking bananas fishing to post some of the superstitions that my girlfriends dad told me ( an ex pro fisherman ). 1. never take bananas fishing = catch no fish. 2. no women on the boat, never. 3. dont whistle on the boat - it brings the wind. 4. if a black cat crosses your path on the way to the boat ramp - turn around and go back to beginning. 5. when leaving a port or dock, throw the rope in the water NOT on the boat - its bad luck. 6. if you hook up a squid but only land a tentacle - you must eat it - its bad luck not to. 7. cant leave port on a friday - must be either thursday before midnight or friday at midnighthmm im sure theres more but thats all i can think of for now....

2. no women on the boat, never.

I just got back from a trip with 3 on board. Some of the hottest fishing I have ever seen in mny life.Mind you, one of the boxes of tucker was a banana box, and my sister made me take the top bit off (with bananas written on it) and leave it in my car.

I use to only listen to the same cd driving to my destination, would always get me pumped to catch fish for the day even if i was pushing myself to go.Another one is to put the window down in the car when i'm about ten k's from the ramp just to accustom myself to the outside temp so i was fried and ready to go not sweating or shivering once i hit the water.Not sure if they class as superstition but it is a ritual i follow.

I have a favourite shirt i wear..........Its looking a bit second hand at the moment but how do i find another one? Without it i wont catch anything.

I had a favourite shirt myself, until it tore straight down the back! Yes, mine was MORE than a little secondhand by this stage.I too have recently been through the "select a new favourite" game, and I didn't know where to turn!Luckily, I now have a replacement. Different style, different colour, but a fishing shirt none the less!Of course this didn't really help me at all, coz I was a crap fisherman in the old shirt, and I'm still a crap fisherman with the new shirt........at least I'm consistent! :icon_eek:

hay my fishing superstition is that if you go to have a fish just 4 somthing 2do, you usually catch the hard earnt fish that you have been trying for!!!it worked for me on two occasions, i was fishing at semi jetty and a mate rang me and asked if i wana go 2 walleroo with him, i was just said yea ok atleast its better than fishing by myself, i then landed a 75cm snapper, and wasnt expecting 2 get a fish at allthanks lloyd

On fishing trips longer than one day, I believe it's bad luck for your fishing clothes to see a washing machine, you can shower in them or hose them off, just don't let the missus chuck them in the machine, disgusted my missus initially but it didn't take long for her to realize us fishermen can be a little eccentric sometimes & she's quite happy not to have to deal with them herself, just gives me that "poor simple fool" look when she sees me doing the stomp on my clobber on the shower floor.cheers, Spog

My fishin hat, a camo sloppy joe type thing, only ever gets washed in the ocean, usually about 3 or 4 times a year. And only in the clean southern waters to not the yucky metro waters, last time i did it at west beach it smelled worse than it did before. never again! always Keen

I was inspired by the posts on taking bananas fishing to post some of the superstitions that my girlfriends dad told me ( an ex pro fisherman ).

I always take my bananas fishing coz they always enjoy it, but its a lot of work, coz I hafta bait all the hooks for them, wind in the fish for them , dehook the fish etc etc etc
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of breaking the banana superstition when I hit the snapper next time...... A banana skin could resemble a squidhead if I split each skin into halves again to make them look like tentacles and then chuck the lot on my 7/0 hook. I reckon it'll work :o

Listed below are thirteen superstitions that may or may not apply to modern day Kayak Fishing:When transporting or portaging kayaks the bow must always point forward; Eyes on the bow will help the kayak to see its way through bad conditions; An image of a smiling male face on the starboard side of the cockpit and a frowning female face on the port side will afford protection from the water spirits; Never board a kayak using the left foot first; Do not whistle at sea as this could increase wind strength; The presence of dolphins is a good omen; A "Lucky Fishing Charm" carried within the kayak or tied to the forward deck improves the chances of a good catch; Never carry bananas on board or a poor fishing day will be had; For the best fishing results always wear the same clothing as you did the last time you caught fish; On any outing, if you have caught no fish for a long time, then start eating to make them bite; On every new fishing day always release the first fish caught (even when fishing for food); A dropped knife when cleaning fish predicts good fishing next trip if it points to sea and bad fishing next trip if it points to land; Never expect to catch fish on Friday the thirteenth.