Make of it what you will!

Something I came across while surfing other related sites!Whadda ya think:

Well the news in the West has been all about the new fishing tax,,some familys will have to pay more than $700 to go fishing,,kayakers will get of a bit lighter,it will be $180 to launch the kayak and catch a Snapper,,this guy Minister Moores mates wanted to make it $500 or even $1000 to catch Snapper,,we are lucky at the moment.The West Australia fishing community are numb with shock,,its come out of nowhere Basiclly Mr Moore admitted on radio yesterday he hopes to price fishing out of reach of most people as a way as preserving fish stocks

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29020

Must be open season on pollies then eh. Not many that couldnt be improved on with a bullet. Wot is about them that wants to make things tougher for the average joe. Considering it is the average joe that votes the pieces of crap in to power. :evil: :evil:

Thats the problem. They do have an idea and that idea is to tax anything that the average person enjoys and or needs. Alcohol smokes petrol now fishing anything that is hobby related seems to be taxed highly. I think a fresh air tax is due next week :angry::angry:

wat this stupid so called human being must not realise is that he has to be voted in. now any family orientated person who even fishes once a year is not gonna vote this joke in let alone fellow fishos wats this bloke thinking seeing as at leats 90 percent of people like to fish once in a while... some may call that kinda thing political suicide....I JUST CALL IT MORONISH...................

Well I've read it and I'm gobsmacked! I cant seriously believe that this can happen. I cant believe that those with an interest in things related to this decision have allowed it to happen. I mean $150.00 pa to fish from a boat or even wade an area accessed by a boat. Its madness.What effect will this have on tourism? How would you feel about adding an extra $60 to the cost of a charter to the Kimberley, or Broome? Might'nt stop the die hards from travelling, but would certainly have an effect on how far or often you do it.I can only assume that its been done by stealth and that those with the most to loose from such a decision had little or no time to put forward a solid submission for why it should be rejected.Sad sad news for fishers over there I'm sure

vb, not sure that it spells the end of the rec fisho, but it will certainly curtail the numbers, well the legit ones any way. Not sure of the situation over there, I know their fishcare program was pretty good, but with increased licencing comes the need for increased compliance and with that I wonder how it will be policed effectively.However, I agree with you 100% that the success or failure of this law will be watched with interest by other state governments.I'm also sure though that we would not have seen the end of this. There just has to be far too much at stake for that to happen.

as a group we have a lot to lose. Bein a little melodramatic bout the end of the rec fisho but it will really scare a lot of people off mostly for financial reasons. It is/was a simple pastime yeah its a bit more involved now but the reasons for us startin out to fish were generally for relxation and now the government is tellin us unless we come up with a certain amount of money or we cant fish for a certain species. Get real. And the worst bit is how much money do we put into the economy already with spending on rods reels tackle and bait but what about the boaties, rego for boat and trailer insurance fuel and maintenance items like tyres and stuff

hey alllike the majority of those of us on this site, I understand our fishing needs to be sustainable if we are to fish for the long term and those who know me know that I am passionate about fishing with preservation in mind. i am as shocked as the rest of you and by no means are advocating these sneaky underhanded changes but this topic has raised a few questions in my own mind tho and i shall endeavor to put them to you.did they have a dollar figure in mind when they introduced the licenses in the first place, have fallen short of that target and need to skim more to cover their losses?why are the laws they put in place, size and bag limits, not protecting stocks as the said laws are supposed to do? is it because the laws are being ignored/not enforced adequately or is it because the rec fishing population has grown to where the said laws are rendered insufficient?being a realist i also found myself asking the question "could this possibly be the best/most efficient strategy to ensuring fish stocks are protected?" as unfortunate as it is for the 'average joe/jill' fisho.i also cant begin to comprehend the impact on tourism boating and tackle stores, bait suppliers.....the list goes on. so is some of the money raised going to be used to prop up these industries at risk, i think not!as i said i do not agree with what is going down over there and as someone said, the other states are gonna be watching this and rubbing their grubby little politician hands together going mmmmmmmm money money money unfortunately i NEED to fish so no matter how much i disagree i will just bend over and let them pluck it from me if they do it here but that leaves less bucks to spend at anglers choice.if ya got this far, thanks for reading and any feedback on the questions i have been asking myself will be greatly appreciated.always Keen

Mr Keen wrote:

the other states are gonna be watching this and rubbing their grubby little politician hands together going mmmmmmmm money money money

In a way, that is the scariest part of the lot!Imagine collecting a few hundred dollars from each of our states 400,000 recreational anglers! That's a big incentive for any politician! What's that, around $80,000,000+ per annum if we look at $200 per fisher!Here in SA, we've just gotten marine parks, and there's gonna be a large group of greens pushing hard for no take zones and fishing bans in the near future.....wont something like this just be the icing on the cake!It wont take much to happen here if this WA push is successful, so maybe have a good think about it, and take the time out to voice your opinion NOW!I simply cannot believe any politician can actually consider pricing families out of wholesome outdoor activities is a good thing for the state! Sorry kids, fishing is too expensive, so I've bought ya a playstation instead. Now sit down, shut up and eat ya maccas ya fat lazy b*stards!

First of all, on Rangers 1st post, that is absolutely ridiculous. What these pollies sit in there offices and think of ways to make money, "Hmm we need to make up a couple of hundred thousand dollars..hmmm..what can we do"..."I know I'll tax the hell out of Snapper fishing and screw the rec community while I'm at it" "brilliant I'm a genius". What a toss bag :angry: he probably has never gone fishing in his life, you idiot.Big Ian's post, again another cheap way to make some money and rape the public :angry: but with that article, could this be the way of the future for us rec fisho's :S

Sorry kids, fishing is too expensive, so I've bought ya a playstation instead. Now sit down, shut up and eat ya maccas ya fat lazy b*stards!

And thats something else they reckon they are tryin to combat :lol::lol: I honestly dont think that these pollies think things through to much before opening their yaps.Kill rec fishing-ruins tackle industry-Less tax for government -Less employment-higher unemployment payouts -less tax for government-less boat sales-less boat and trailer reg-Less money government -less jobs-same as abovePoint they are cutting their own throats dumb ......ers

Fairly laughable really!! The government reall y can't help getting their gruuby little hands into anything and everything!! This is along the same line as here, how now you have to apply to play any sporting activity on the beach!! Any everyday Aussie recreation taht can be taxed IS!! To all the do-goods in the world, GIVE IT A REST!! Everywhere we turn there is some one bleeting that things aren't how they use to be, things have to change they say!! Well thats the point, things change, not always the way we want. Sure fish stocks aren't as good as they were 10-20 years ago but in the last 5 years I believe they have picked up. Now if 100 boats go out locally on a good weekend, not all 100 boats bag out as you all would know. Not even 5-10% would do that well. I have gone out myself and done well, caught a bag, or just caught a few. But I have gone out many times to catch nothing. These people in government must assume we are like Pro fishermen, with nets bringing in a 1/2-1 ton of fish at a time. They did it with guns too, making it harder for people to go hunting, which fishing is the same. If they can tax it they will and all the petitions in the woolrd will not alter the outcome one bit. They have made their decision and will have all the scientific data they need. The Pros will back them too because their lively hood is a t stake and its in their interest to stop Recs "cause if ya can't catch ya have to buy it if ya wanna eat it". The only way they will take notice is they get voted out, but that won't happen either cause not everyone fishes, so they will dangle another carrot for everyone else to vote them back in!! End of Rant!! :angry::laugh:

I am a law abidding citizen but this is one thing I would not pay and I would still fish. STUFF THEM. It's about time these morons realise that we vote them in and we can vote them out.To tell the truth I am so sick and tired of DO GOODERS everytime you pick up a paper someones telling you that you can't do this and you can't do that, it's sickening.I am all for preserving fish stocks but when this clown gets on radio and says he will be happy when he makes fishing too expensive for everyone to do then that is wrong.It seem that he will be happy to see kids sitting on street corners shooting up and then rape, pillage and plunder honest citizen or sit in front of a TV eating Maccas until they explode. Well all I wish is that it's someone in his family that gets Bashed, Raped or Explodes because kids these days need to be able to spend quality time with their friends and families and fishing is just one thing that brings alot of us together. Cheers Darren

Rec fishing is getting hard, and it's going to get harder. Every aspect of boating is becoming more expensive. Even without any changes to on the water rules will there be fewer fishers each year?The new license laws in WA combine with a 2 month closure, so your annual fishing license over there is only good for 10 months. Anyone who supports the introduction of a Recreational Fishing License in SA should take note.These laws have been put in place even BEFORE the no-take zones are determined in each of the huge marine parks that blanket WA (just as they do here). The greens will push for every fishing restriction they can get.Summary:More expensive to fishSmaller bag limitsLarger size limitsFewer places that fishing is permittedFewer times that fishing is permittedHas the whole world gone nuts? The most important question from the disastrous SA Marine Parks proposal earlier this year still needs an answer:-What research has shown that Rec Fishers are the most significant cause of any decline in fish stocks?Quote:-“The independent reviews that I commissioned on becoming Minister for Fisheries have confirmed departmental advice that stocks of popular demersal species, such as dhufish, pink snapper and baldchin groper, are over-fished,” he said.“The experts agree that a demersal scalefish catch reduction of at least 50 per cent is required by the recreational fishing sector."If Rec Fishers aren't to blame for this overfishing, then the strategy of pricing Rec Fishers off the water via RFL etc will achieve nothing FOR THE FISH. We should do our utmost to prevent this crap from ever happening here. IMO support for RFL = doing the Greens job for them.Regards,RJ

IMO support for RFL = doing the Greens job for them.

I couldn't agree more RJ! I've been against the idea of licenses since I first heard rec fishers coming out in support of them, and my complaints from back then keep echoing back! When fishers were saying how good it would be for us, I could only reply that we already pay enough taxes, and to be careful what you wish for!For those who do support and push for the idea of licensing, here ya go then, Mr Moore is providing it for you, and I'm sure other states will catch on soon enough! Enjoy it, and sorry it didn't turn out all rosy and good for the fishermen like you expected! But really, did you think the government WOULDN'T screw you?Got something to say about it?Premier, Colin Barnett: http://www.premier.wa.gov.au/Ministers/ ... ister.aspxMinister for Fisheries, Norman Moore: Minister.Moore@dpc.wa.gov.aunorman.moore@mp.wa.gov.aunmoore@mp.wa.gov.auOnline petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Fishing_Licence?If nothing else, at least take a minute to add ya name to the petition and voice ya disgust!

From today paper in the West:http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=153063Now I don't have a boat so can't comment there but landbased, don't think I'll be paying license fees for the privilidge off putting a line in the water.There is NO guarantee that I catch anything legal and for thatI have to pay a license fee !! Don't think so.If North Tce wants more money, cut out lurks and perks and $ 7000 new car for which we pay. :angry: Losers.p.s I have signed the petition too.

I know nothing about the price of muffins - but this is what a mouth piece costs. Bear in mind that you've very little control about what comes out of that mouth even though you pay for it:-"Position Details Executive Director, Fisheries Victoria • $163,000 to $259,703 Total Remuneration Package • Convenient CBD Location • Lead the sustainable development of Victoria’s fisheries resources The Department of Primary Industries (DPI) is currently seeking an Executive Director, Fisheries Victoria for a five year fixed term contract. This is an excellent opportunity for a strong people manager to join a division dedicated to the sustainable development of Victoria’s fisheries. In this position you will provide leadership, direction and management to all aspects of Fisheries Victoria, including: administration of the Fisheries Act 1995 and regulations; policy advice; economic development; licensing and administration; compliance services and research services. As Executive Director, Fisheries Victoria you will set the strategic direction for Fisheries; provide authoritative and timely policy advice to the Minister, Secretary and Executive team; build and maintain effective relationships with industry leaders and investors; represent DPI at State and National decision-making forums; build an engaged and high performing Fisheries team and; make a major contribution to the executive management of DPI through the setting of Departmental goals and implementation of initiatives. To succeed in this position you will have an appropriate tertiary qualification and a record of achievement in natural resource management; demonstrated high level experience in formulating and delivering innovative and cost effective public policies; powerful leadership capabilities; previous experience in executive management roles including conceptual, analytical, planning and organisational skills and capacity to lead workplace change. To apply please forward your resume and response to the key selection criteria (KSC). Applicants who do not address the KSC may not be considered. Closing date for applications is Friday 10 July 2009"That's a whole lot of tax/licence money gone right there, and without even considering the costs involved in "build an engaged and high performing Fisheries team" "build and maintain effective relationships with industry leaders and investors" - where do Recreational fishers fit into this job description? We're not industry leaders so I guess we must be investors. Recreational Fishing Licenses in SA - no way!Regards,RJ

all they gotta do is enforce the laws they already have... hwo many times do you see people oding the wrong thing.. specially locally... nto to be racist.. but the asians down at st kilda and also up the power statiion seem to take anything they catch. this sort of thing needs to be stopped before they penalise everyone else for trying to do the right thing

If the stocks are so low, why not go after the pro's? I know of a few pro's and geez they need to be taxed they make way too much. Why are they allowed to break the rules on size limits. I get so pissed off when I see baby snapper for sale in supermarkets! Maybe we should all cough up the $150 and pool it together to get ourselves a rec fishing lobbyist and teach the pollies a lesson. If you want them to listen write letters to public opinion forums such as the local newspapers (letter to the editor etc.), also put in complaints on the talk back radio stations. For some reason they actually consider those places important and have people scour those avenues to judge what the masses think. (I can tell you I know this for a fact) If a newspaper gets 20 letters all complaining about the same topic they listen and will do a big write up on it especially if it's a slow news day.

grouchy wrote:

I know of a few pro's and geez they need to be taxed they make way too much. Why are they allowed to break the rules on size limits. I get so pissed off when I see baby snapper for sale in supermarkets!

Unfortunately bloke, RECREATIONAL fishing size and bag limits are different to COMMERCIAL regulations!Also, different states have different legislation, so those fish you see in the supermarket AREN'T undersized, and they've been taken quite legally.