I have one of these bad boys. Kinda reminds me of the squiddies on the Matrix :) Its plenty bright and has 4 different modes, the red 'night mode' is kinda pointless if you ask me though.Only prob with this one is there is no simple off switch, you have to click the button to cycle through all the modes to turn it off again.Posted Image

plankton wrote:

I've got one of the really simple Energizer ones, two white LED's and one red, the red is the best to use at night when switching baits etc. because the red light won't ruin your night vision, I only use the white light when walking in a spot where I need to be careful.

Spot on plankton i have had mine for atleast 5yrs now and has never let me down....Come to think of it i have never changed the battery's in it yet :ohmy:

I use the Petzl Tikka XP. This is IMO the best all round head torch. I do alot of bushwalking and have tried many over the years and nothing compares. You are right in saying that you get what you pay for and these are not cheap, but they will last a lifetime and give you hours of bright light. Everytime I fish people always comment on how bright they are. Take 3xAAA batterys. Btw: Dubs I tred to accept you as a friend but something went... well I just don't know where it went!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using a Petzel for years and its pretty good.A friend of mine recently put me onto the cree led.They are the most efficient ,brightest LED on the market .I purchased one of the small 390 lumen torches off ebay (only $20 plus $10 delivery)and the brightness is mind blowing .Must be seen to be believed.I intend to get the cree headtorch soon.Most cree LEDs are marketed as ultrafire or terralux.They also sell a 1600 lumen job,which I think is about five times brighter than a comparable size maglite for about $70 bucks.They also do cree upgrade kits for maglite.Have a look on youtube there are a few cree demonstrations comparing them to other brands and they are vastly superior.CheersRollcast

Surf_94 wrote:

I use the Petzl Tikka XP. This is IMO the best all round head torch. I do alot of bushwalking and have tried many over the years and nothing compares. You are right in saying that you get what you pay for and these are not cheap, but they will last a lifetime and give you hours of bright light. Everytime I fish people always comment on how bright they are. Take 3xAAA batterys. Btw: Dubs I tred to accept you as a friend but something went... well I just don't know where it went!!

Good to hear. Just ordered one of Motackle for $99. Want a decent one I can use for fishing of the rocks at night.
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Hiking_Equipment/Lighting_&_Accessories/60889/Head_Torch_XP-E_Cree_Q4.htmlI own this puppy. It's brilliant for hunting. Has a blue (for hunting, blood etc.), green (for map reading), and 2x red (for night eye and emergency)leds. It has a 1.5w cree white LED which has a dimming and a 4x focus or 1x flood control. and is Water resistant. Plus it doesn't have the annoying battery pack separated, and is wicked for battery life. I picked it up for 48 bucks over Christmas last year (from $120), I looked around couldn't find anything that even remotely matched it for price or functionality. I've used about 3 other headtorches, if you wanna basic job anything around 30 bucks will do, but this blows all the lower market torches out of the water!

I just got my Summit Club Easter sale (katmandu) catalogue in the post today.UP to 60% off. Talk about good timing.There are three head torches advertised on page 11 including th XP-E Cree reduced from $119.98 to $47.99.The photo shows a different head torch than the one posted by Dutchxfisher but specs are the same,40-175 lumens.Petzl don't come close to that.There is another one on the back page reduced to $35.99 but it is only 15-51 lumens.Cheers Rollcast