MY PRAWN FLY WINS

Posted ImageG'day guys,You all might be sick of seeing my ugly mug but I've got to put this one up then I promise I'll have a rest until the weekend :woohoo: . My prawn pattern has been fishing exceptionally well lately and when he smacked me tonight I thought your mine for sure ;) .He measured 89 cms and put on a great fight, I'm amazed how well the 7wt can work on fish of this size and how much fun it is using it .Posted ImageOnce again I took a few wraps on the knuckles and he dragged me around for a while but in all I was on the water for 2 hours and then it was into the kill tank full of water for a quick trip back to the ramp so I could get a pic taken with me holding my prize. Luckily there was a lady there taking pictures of the dolphins so I asked her to take a few snaps before I released him to swim away. Should have seen her face :P . Geez it felt good to watch him swim off :laugh: . So this still isn't the real big one that I'm after but he'll do for a start ;) . Hope you enjoy the pics.Cheers DarrenPosted Image

Awesome mate. Ripper fish on your own fly, nice one.I am just looking at getting into saltwater fly, targetting bream, schoolies and flatties. Setup i have been looking at is an Innovator Velocity #7 with a Shimano Biocraft LA78, using a WF-7-I. Can i get your opinion on this? Obviously your using a 7 weight. Do you find this over or under powered for the local fish? May i ask what rod/reel your using?

rollcast wrote:

Excellent effort there fishnuts.You are a bloody legend.I have caught afew bream, snook,st's,and squid on salt water fly but never a mully.You have inspired me ,I must hit it a bit harder.Without going into specifics ,I assume your fishing down the Port?CheersRollcast

Yes mate the Port and as you would know it's a big place.Cheers DarrenStation49,Mate I have a Innovator Velocity in a 4wt that I use for bream and IMO it's and over priced cheaparsed piece of Chinese crap. The rod blank itself is very nice to cast but the cork reelseat and fittings are junk. Like I said though that is IMO. They are alot cheaper now than when I bought mine and the next time my reel seat buggers up I will be stripping the bottom section of the rod and replace the lot with some quality components, then it will be a nice rod to use. The outfit I'm using isn't a dear one either so I'm not being a tackle snob with my previous comments. The rod is a Temple Fork Outfitters TiCrX 7wt and the reel is a Nautilus Featherweight 7 plus that I imported from the U.S.A. as you can't buy them here. My favourite line is a Rio Lumalux Stiped Bass Intermediate and when fishing deeper I use a Scientific Angler Striper IV. The Shimano Biocraft you have chosen is a brilliant reel and I think you'll get good service from it. My mate uses his to catch Kingies in New Zealand with and he has had no problems but then again we all know Kiwis are crazy :P;) .I do think that 7 wt is overpowered for bream but not for the rest of the species you are after. All I can really say is you have to start somewhere and I actually started with the 7wt too so it can't be that bad. The only problem now is I have every weight rod , reel and line from 3wt to 11wt and even doubled up on a couple of the same weight rods. Geez I hope my wife don't read this :laugh: .Good luck with your choice and I hope this help you out.Cheers Darren

Thanks fish nuts I might have to do a few recco trips .Yeah got to agree about the shimano biocraft,excellent value for money ,they are marketed as G loomis in the states.Okuma make a relly good value reel as well.If you want to spend a bit more buy a ross evolution .Superb reels,I've got two and they are much stronger than my Lamson light speed for about the same money.I recently bought a Ross momentum (superb reel) which I plan to use on the Bay of island kings in NZ next year.

Rollcast I love the Ross Momentums too but I got the Nautilus reels for the smooth drag and light weight without being flimsy and they are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet , I think I like them more than some people I know :ohmy: ;):laugh: . Check out the Ross Vexius if you get a chance too, very sweet little reel and if I'm in the market for a new light weight that will be the one I'll be spending my hard earned on ;).Cheers Darren

Nice fish mate well done.Those fly's are proving to be a real winner.Chuck and myself got stuck into a few mullies on the weekend on sp's and I decided its time to crack out the flyrod and tick that box next trip.I will let you know how I go but if its anything like last weekend I reckon the box could already be ticked :P Keep up the good workcheerssnapps

Station49 wrote:

Thanks fishnuts, i appreciate your info re the innovator rods. Ill have to do a little more research and have a bit more of a chat about them and some of the other similarly priced rods [velocity 7 was going for 320 by the way].Good to hear the reel is a good pick.Ill let you know how i go.

No worries mate there are lots of rods around but the one thing we miss here in Adelaide is that there is really only one shop that sells fly gear of any quality (as far as I know). If you want any help with places to look for a rod drop me a line as I have heaps of shops I use both here and overseas that will save you heaps. I might even have a rod you'd like try so you can see what it's like before you buy one from a shop.Cheers Darren
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
marriemb wrote:

COol that is a great catch which rod are you using by the way

The rod is a Temple Fork Outfitters TiCrX 7wt and the reel is a Nautilus Featherweight 7 plus that I imported from the U.S.A. as you can't buy them here. My favourite line is a Rio Lumalux Stiped Bass Intermediate and when fishing deeper I use a Scientific Angler Striper IV. Cheers Darren
  • 2 months later...