Mad Max has Arrived

Woo hoo. Its here. 177 inches of pure fish stopping power. A South Oz Rods master piece. Will be taking it out this week once I get my days off. Although I think a day of practice casting is on the cards, this is one hell of a lot of rod. I am glad I stuck with this blank as I was extremely tempted to have Rob build me up the last Snyderglas blank that he had which was an mt8144. Knowing how the rod was to be used he told me I would be happier with this excel composites blank. To say this rod has some strength is an under statement. I think I almost lifted Snappermania off the ground as I asked him to hold the tip So I could see the curve of this mighty rod under load. I dont think I would have too much trouble stopping a shark with this thing. So a big thanks to Rob at South Oz Rods for answering all my questions during the build and a great final result and to the Wes and David from Whyalla Sport Fishing Scene for collecting it from Adelaide for me.A couple of pics.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanx 4 all the replies guys. Yeah its a crakin rod. 650c5 Alvey goin on so those snapper have no chance :laugh::laugh: Its definitely a bit of overkill for snapper but there will be some trips planned to make better use of "Max" ;) Hmm flag on the end ey. How bout a sign too for Long Load :)

Max has been christened. Went for an early morning session with Snapperhead at Black Point. Slight northerly blowing and crystal clear water. Definitely not snapper weather but thought we may as well wet a line any way. After rigging up and casting we sat for a good half hour with out even a shitty sucking on our baits, so a wind in bait check and out we go again. Another 20 mins or so There were some smallish taps on the end of Max ;) After a few quick retrieves on the Alvey Something was hooked but felt tiny even feeling like I had dropped it at one stage. Pulled up onto the rocks was a 37cm salmon/salmon trout?? Not exactly what I was after but seeing as that was the only fish caught for the morning that'll have to do until next time. :laugh: Was an enjoyable sess with Snapperhead even though the fish just werent on the bite..............Still :blush: Damn rocks :angry::laugh:

And to make matters worse we had the pleasure of watching a boat drop anchor directly out from us and pull 2 snapper in 2 casts.I wont mention the names we came with to describe this guys action but I think most of you can use a bit of imagination to figure it out. :laugh: There was not another boat in sight or another rock fisho to be seen and with the choice of the entire bay he had to drop anchor just metres out from where we were casting and then pull a couple of fish out that we might have latched onto. :angry: One went 5kgs or so I reckon so wasnt a bad size specimen.Next time mate we will get one :) Overall though it was an enjoyable mornings fishing and it was good to see Mad Max in action and land the first fish.cheerssnapps

Maybe they didnt see us Snaps :laugh::laugh::angry::angry::angry:

sounds like you guys need to cast a bit further..need some lessons???*stirs the Alvey crew up again*

No lessons required...........Each cast gettin better. 3 More casts and I reckon there would have been a couple of ounces of lead puncturing that hull :laugh::laugh:
pescados wrote:

Hope you don't go walking down the street with the rod upright :laugh: Those power lines are killers :lol:;) Nice one tho. ;)

:laugh::laugh: Yeah its a worry drivin down the road with it in the rod rack and over hangin trees. I had a bad experience with a surf rod and a tree before :(:(:blush: