was fishing port noarlunga jetty yesterday and had excessive issues with wind knots. does the quality of braid affect this ive only got cheap stuff i got given when i bought the outfit.i was using the heaviest jig head and when i wind in slack i run it thru my fingers so it goes on under tension. what are my options im ready to discard the braid and maybe go to mono but dont want to lose the sensitivity for fishing plastics

Pretty difficult not to get wind knots in that situation because you are along way off the water and usually have a side on breeze,fireline would be the best line to use in that scenario because when i was there last year using a PE braid i had the same difficulties as yourself. cheers brenton

hey mate , wind knots mostly come from twist. cheap braids are not perfectly round and especialy when winding under tension, even $150 reels still generate twist.i only use nitlon pe braid and a twin power reel with 4lb braid and have not had a probolem in two months.the cheap way to halve the probs would use an owner(i think) swivel that has a ring on one end and a snap on the other and they are tiny and very strong when using your plastics.CHOICE Mark

i too get windknots :blush: and i must say they are real fustrating!might try using a tiny swivell but i have my douts that it will help,i think braid and windknots just go together , its the biggest downfall for using braid :( i find that i get more windknots when my reel is packed to the max , and as this reducess over time , you seem to get a few less.sort of defeats the purpose of using braid if your reel aint full!

I too have been using Nitlon to throw jerkies too off Porties to chase the salmon, and I have had serious problems with wind knots. Even on my lighter outfit casting squid jigs with another brand of braid I still get wind knots.So as others have said, it seems that no matter how good the braid, that breeze off Pt N jetty is killer. I spend a good amount of prime time picking knots out.Im with you Ubolt time to start thinking of going back to mono for jetty use!!!! :huh::huh::huh::huh: its funny as the knots form close to where the mono leader is tied on.Never had these troubles when using Mono.

urhookedfish wrote:

its funny as the knots form close to where the mono leader is tied on.

Don't you hate it when you forget to hit Submit after you post?? :angry: The wind knots form near the knot if you are winding the knot into the rod(Which i do at PNJ) this is because the knot hits the guide on the cast and slows the line enough for the line coming off the spool to be faster than the lure,much like a birds nest on an OH reel.I reckon i'll use fireline this season and i bet i don't have even half the trouble if any. cheers brenton

You'll get wind knots in Fireline too, especially the smaller tests. I've got reels with 6, 10, and 14 pound Fireline on them and they all wind knot, the 14 rarely and increasing in frequency down through the 10 and 6. The six pound used to do it very often, but it's improved quite a bit now that I use the slim beauty knot to attach my leader.

Guest Cranka

Not sure if this will help, but I had plenty of troubles with wind knots until i fished with Mark Mangold.He pointed out that you really need to turn the bail manually and lightly pull tension the line, this makes sure that the line is seated in the line roller and doesnt cross the spool.Havent had a wind knot in 2 years since i started doing this.RegardsDan

urhookedfish wrote:

okay so I shortened my leader down today but still got hammered by airknots. would rather been hammered by salmon but still none around. they seemed to have dissapeared.Bloody braid.But Brenton have you been throwing softies off Porties with your braid.I never had one air knot until I started doing that.

Yes 5" jerk shads but not yet this season uhf and i never get air knots any other time so Cal might be right,i'm still going to try the fireline though later on. cheers brenton

Even though fire line looks ugly and tatty I've never had a wind knot using this line.I recently changed over to Nitlon and have had countless wind knots.I know what line I'll be putting back on when its time to respool.I also believe the smaller the reel the more wind knots.

Yes I"ll join the old chorus[heard it before] and say that fireline has been good to me in regards to wind knots.Yes people can say its cheap crap and fluffs up,maybe rightly so.But..if your finesse bream fishing,payed good money to go on a charter jigging for sampsons,trolling for tuna ,ect ect,and have put out top dollar for the best tri coloured round,tightly fuzed stuff,and it does a fantastic job and so it should.But the average joe standing knee deep in waders at west lakes with the arvo sea breeze or halfway up port noarlunga jetty in a howling south wester isnt really going to take kindly to his light ultra thin top dollar braid blowing about like princess marys dress wind knotting its date off.I actually think that being a stiff heavy cheapish line actually works in firelines favour in these situations.Cheers B)

wow wasnt expecting this much responsethanks everyonei do normally wind on the slack line after i cast under tension until im in direct contact with the spthe knot normally seems to occur halfway between the fluro leader and the rod tip. i do also have a 1000 reel and i have heard that small reels have greater issues with wind knots. this is the first time ive used this outfit from a jetty. after the origanal teething problems i thought i had wind knots sorted from kayak and land based. i guess the extra elevation doesnt helpi reckon i lost 30-40 metres due to wind knots just couldnt un pick them :(

i have a rapala clip/knife/pick ona neck chain.. they are fantastic for picking wind knots. i also use an ebay braid called Sambo Elite Jig King Daynema Braid. in 8lb. with good success. a few knotts when i started. but now.. non existent. i also belive its to do with the softy lures/plastics and elevation that can cause these knots.