Mulloway love my prawn flies

G'day guys,As the weather has finally cracked and produced a nice morning, a day off work was planned and some Mulloway fishing was on the agenda. I haven't fished for these since last summer so it was good to pull out the 7wt and go and chuck around a few of my prawn flies. It's good to see they can still pull fish and it also proved to me that last year wasn't just a fluke. Only got one and he went 75cm and swum free at the end of his experience B) . Christened the Tibor too ;) .Cheers DarrenPosted Image

Thank you fellas and yes Tonka it's always a HOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: URHF, These flies now have a bounty of $20.00 each so if Jaggs uses his head he might be able to get some mney back on the rod he bought from me by selling the flies to you :laugh: :laugh: ;) Liam these flies are becoming very consistent takers for me and I'm glad that this proves last summer wasn't a fluke ;)Cheers Pirate it's good to see them swim away.Cheers Darren

ooh' date=' just for my own curiosity Darren. What breaking strain leader/tippets are you using for that type fishing?Cheers again.[/quote']Tonka after being blown away a couple of times last summer fishing 11lb tippet, I'm now running A Nail knot of 40lb FLUROCARB to the line about 3 feet long then a 4 foot section of 20lb flurocarb. Hope this helps.Simon the Mojo was looking bad for the last couple of trips so hopefully it's now turned around.Jack there is nothing like that purple hue straight from the water that mullies have, looks spectacular.Hey Sambo my last one fell 10cms short of the meter so lets hope I can break it before you do ;):laugh: Cheers Darren

Great catch there champ. Even better on your own flies to!Won't be selling my prawn fly mate, hadn't given it a thought either...haha.. Especially now that I have seen what they are capable of. I reckona few bream will probably fall victom to it before I catch something like this though !

Great catch there champ. Even better on your own flies to!Won't be selling my prawn fly mate' date=' hadn't given it a thought either...haha.. Especially now that I have seen what they are capable of. I reckona few bream will probably fall victom to it before I catch something like this though ![/quote']Jaggs I remember now, I gave you the small version didn't I. Oh well atleast you know the secret ingredients when you want to copy it , then you can sell some to URHF ;):laugh: :laugh:I had no luck with the bream on fly today but my Junglecock got molested by some Sambo's :ohmy: :woohoo: :laugh: Cheers Darren
Hey Darren i'm looking at chasing larger species on my seven weight outfit' date=' so would it be ok to use something like a 12Ib or is going up to 40 and 20Ib the only way to go?[/quote']Liam take into account how abrasive that patricular fishes mouth is or whether it has cutting gill plates. It's not really the size of the fish that governs what pound breaking strain you use mate. If it's Cod I'd go 20lb or up as they do have a rasping mouth I'm lead to believe but someone who's actually caught one may be able to clarify that better than me.Cheers Darren

Great stuff Dazz, did ya s--t the bed:laugh: There will be more to come & bigger i can feel the vibe:evil: The question about the rasping you are correct, i use 20lb fluro leader & 12lb braid & this works well on all my cod biggest being 86lb around rocks & snags, now thats when i get out & thats not often lately:angry: .CheersKym.

RRR Dazz the missus won't be happy if Dawn was there.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh::P CheersKym.

Geez Kymbo, I've had my junglecock molested :laugh: , Brenton reckon he loves the way me nuts work :laugh: and now Dawns getting a berth. Geez I'm doing alright aren't I mate ;):laugh::P I hope Dawn doesn't meet up with Brenton because then I'll really be in the poop :laugh: Cheers Darren

Rangfish,The hooks I use are Mustad S71S SS in size 8 ,6 ,4, 2 and for the mullies SIZE 1 and 1/0.The smaller sizes are my bream selection and I have tied them on the same hooks in size 3/0 and 4/0 for Peter Morse to throw at Barra ;) .You may have trouble getting these in Stainless hooks now as they have been replaced with Mustad S71SZ which are a plated hook but just as good. Give them a try. Hope this helps.Cheers Darren

geez darren' date=' i bugger off over seas for a week and your nailing mullies when im not catching fish. lol!well done dude. what that. 2 legals on fly now? or 3?i still got the bigges bream though nehneh! lolgo the prawns![/quote']I've still got you on the bream on fly aswell because you caught yours on a lure :P :P :P and that don't count :laugh: :laugh: .The legal tally on fly has climbed to 5 now. You forgot about the couple I've caught when I snuck out fishing without you ;):laugh: Cheers Darren
  • 2 weeks later...