For Snapper, I can't go past anything from the PENN stable in either size 3000 or 4000. For your rod, you could probably go either however i would go into a tackle store and see how it balances. I'm thinking 3000 may be best as I use the 4000 on my slightly heavier Ugly Stik and it works a treat.They are ideal for offshore fishing with all the spray and hard work. Easy to service and in my opinion the most reliable. Go for the old faithful PENN Senator. I imagine there are some flash, more technologically advanced reels out there and will be interested to hear what other reels the snapper guys on here might recommend.

G'day Grego,If you ask me you cant go better than a decent Shimano spinning reel. I would reccomend a Shimano Symytre or a Stradic. These are both excellent reels and are well worth the money.:) I would suggest going to your local tackle store and have a look to see what you are most comfortable with.

Actually i forgot to ask are you fishing, Land based, kayak or boat?Land based or boat i would go a Diawa but if you are in a yak i would definately go for a Shimano reel because Shimano reels have anti corrosion resistant bearings in all of their reels whereas most Diawas don't. Either way I would still clean your reels after every trip.If you are after a nice Diawa reel tho i would reccomend forking out the extra cash for a Sol. there is also the Diawa Exceller which I haven't used myself but I do know people that do use them and really like them. In the end tho it all comes down to preference and price. :)

Be a boat and land based. Haven't got a yak yet. Just started putting money away for that :)

If youre getting a yak definately go the Shimano because you are very close to the water and you will get spray from the water so a reel that has all anti-corossion resistant bearings is probably your best choice. But either way really look after your reel and you will have it for a long time.

If funds allow Daiwa tierra or better is the way to go, the quality Daiwa reels are really in a class of their own. To be honest if someone where to give me the choice of a free stella or a sol of equal size I reckon I'd go the sol even at less than half the price, haven't tested that yet though so any offers? :P No wait! will take the stella, sell it and buy 2 sols ;) and no I'm in no way paid to endorse Daiwa... but again any offers?

okaaay. so ive been doing a little looking and ive been hearing much about this dawia tierra. now ive had a lil shop on the net and ive found a lil reel called the dawia saltist. it costs about 50 bucks more then the tierra. but seems to be said to be made a bit tougher. now the thing i want to know is it a bit overkill for what im looking to do or does it look the goods. my uncle just bought a new boat. a nice 6.3 metre haines hunter. and i am looking at being aboard for a lot of voyages so its gunna get some use. pretty much what im looking for is the saltist as tough as said and worth the extra 50 bucks? and i wanna know if its a bit over kill for snapper fishing?

If funds allow Daiwa tierra or better is the way to go' date=' the quality Daiwa reels are really in a class of their own. [b']To be honest if someone where to give me the choice of a free stella or a sol of equal size I reckon I'd go the sol[/b] even at less than half the price, haven't tested that yet though so any offers? :P No wait! will take the stella, sell it and buy 2 sols ;) and no I'm in no way paid to endorse Daiwa... but again any offers?

Tripper. Reels are no where near in the same league. The higher gearing of the saltist isn't ideal for snapps. Yes usable. But for the money, there are far better options.This thread is a perfect example of the irreplacable value of a tackle shop with staff that know what they're talking about. Head into a shop and get the word, and gear, from someone that uses it.

Hey Matt you do have a point regarding the high speed ratio of the Saltist, but I didnt mention this as I figured Grego would be fishing some realatively deep drops of 30+ metres and the 6.2 to 1 would be a plus if you needed to jig with it for reds. In fact surely the high speed ratio will just mean that with a big bait on, he will be able to get it to the surface in quicker times which would also suit use on a charter where speed is handy when the skipper says rightio boys pull em up where off. I could see the high speed being more of a benefit than a negative.Im pretty sure guys using saltiga's dont complain about the gear ratio :lol: .Big G: I own a Freams 4500J (not quite the same as the Fream Kix), but very similar, and I love mine. I fish it with 20lb mono for snapps and love it to death!:woohoo: :woohoo: . I agree with you that the Freams Kix would also be a good pick up for that price.

The other brand of reel to have a look at is the quantum range of reels. They have six layers of anti corrosion paint, ceramic drag that wont heat up under a big fish and they have stainless steel bearings. Also the bail arm is made out of a flexible wire so it doesnt break. They are a bit cheaper but my mate has one and he reckons they are as tough as nails and always reliable.

A 6.2 to 1 ratio would be good because it would mean he could reel his bait up quick?!As far as the saltiga comment, horses for courses. Too much wrong with that comment for me to be bothered picking apart.The freams kix series and 4500j's are completely, completely different reels.Grego go into a shop and get some advice off people that fish.

A 6.2 to 1 ratio would be good because it would mean he could reel his bait up quick?!As far as the saltiga comment' date=' horses for courses. Too much wrong with that comment for me to be bothered picking apart.The freams kix series and 4500j's are completely, completely different reels.Grego go into a shop and get some advice off people that fish.[/quote']I'm not exactly sure where the animosity is coming from mate??I reckon everyone has had a sensible comment on what gear they have used and liked enough to recommend. No need to call PEELIN a tripper??? He loves his Sols, so what??? He also has previosly worked in the industry, fished with more high end gear than ive had hot dinners and for my money, I regard his advice very highly!!!... And why the need to pick apart UHFs saltiga comment??? the comment you make above stating to get "advice from people who fish" is just offensive mate. For $200 budget, I would say that my experience with the PENN Affinity reels has been positive. They are hardy reels and I haven't lost a fish because of them. Fished steamers, jurassics, John Robb, hopper barge, haystack island etc etc with this brand of spin reel and for the money it's great. So too are many other brands in many different models, Overheads included. Point is, going to a tackle store is a great idea (obviously), but hearing other peoples opinions on everything from shimano to daiwa etc, is also a great idea.Cheers
A 6.2 to 1 ratio would be good because it would mean he could reel his bait up quick?!As far as the saltiga comment' date=' horses for courses. Too much wrong with that comment for me to be bothered picking apart.The freams kix series and 4500j's are completely, completely different reels.Grego go into a shop and get some advice off people that fish.[/quote']As far as im concerned , i also fish mate , so whats the difference between me and the tackle shop , i will give info on what i have experienced and used , not just to make a sale like the so called fishos your talkin about. For what this person is looking for and at the price i think the freams kix is a bargain. You dont need huge reels to catch snapper.