SHARKS TAKE DIVER

Guest Brent61southoz

Sad news!:( :( Ive got so much respect for GW's.:blink: Ive been snapper fishing for seven years and are yet to encounter one, but I dont even like washing my hands over the side of the boat when the snapper come on the bite!another words Im shit scared of em. Of course in a big enough boat I feel safe but to be an abolone diver - well you wouldnt get me doing that job. I thought most of the divers in that location dived in motorised cages. Wonder if he had just gotten out of it to get into the boat.Condolences to the family who lost their loved one.

Hate SharksDont even wanna catch oneI surfed cactus beach once. Had a good surf in the morning but as we were heading out again at around 4pm this guy came running down telling us not to go in.We stopped and he told us to look at the waves. Sharks everywhere. He said you could set ya watch by them as at 4pm every day they were thereNEVER BEEN BACKThere are only 2 things in life that scare the shit out of meSharks and womenThey both have the same traitsThey circle you then attack you, chew you up, take what they want then spit the rest out. And most of the time you never see it coming :laugh:

i know a pro ab diver down elliston he has 2 sons that work with him we were down there when a shark took one of their mates from blackfellows point whilst surfing september 2000.these blokes see it all whilst down there they have full head to toe wet suits to stop them from leather jacket bites any exposed skin gets smashed the dad has alot of scarring on side of his head next to were mask is one of the only exposed pieces of skin is.he took us out in one of his cats 30 footer drifting for snapper we got a panny but after a nite on the sauce i werent to flash and had to head behind one of the islands. after a few more technicolor yawns :sick: :sick: we tried and got are limit of kg's he was telling us at the spot we got the panny he regularly sees masses of reds and sometimes they school up and it looks like a wall of snapper he said when they form this wall it usually signalled a shark was in the area.i got to see my first grey suit a few months back around 4-4.5 mtr job similar size to witch allegedly took this man yesterday they are amazing creatures and im fascinted by them have got a cage dive in the pipeline hoping to do in next few yrs :pinch: :pinch: .anyhow sad to hear of this attack and an obvious risk to take.thoughts go out to family and friends :( :( .

Yes,definitely a tragedy :( I've heard the same about Cactus Beach from some of my mates that surfed there years ago.One had a really close call.......four of them were out waiting to get a wave.......3 got the wave,and 1 left behind.He started to paddle when the next one was coming,just about to set up on his feet,when a "missile" exploded out of the water,not a foot in front and to his right :ohmy: He just layed down on his stomach and "calmly" (as calm as you can with a wetsuit full of crap :P )made his way onto the beach.Told the other fella's what had happened so they called it a day.That night around the fire,he dropped on his board and wettie,and never surfed or swum in the sea again.......that's at least 25 years ago now........

its a terrible way to go thats for sure, an its always hard times when losing a family member too, but we have to remember we are in the sharks territory its their home,we as humans live the land an we kill everything on the land so a animal will do the samedont mean anything nasty or bad just think its something we should always remember

Shark attacks are tragic and it would be total horror to be it that position And I feel for his family, and I have heard this before Two Sharks Nick Petersen 2004As much as people say it's their territory that has some truth to it, as we can't breathe underwater without assistants of technology, not having a dig squid king just in general, but we work rest and play all the time around the water so it is also our place we want to be And I know the abalone divers know the risk and are paid very well, and they have shark cages But I have to think was he wearing a shark shield I was under the impression all abalone divers wore them these days I have seen only one Great White it was doing figure eight at the back of the boat for around 20mins and I am pretty sure the hair on the back put some holes in my shirt and I knew if I went for a swim at that time I would be lunch as much as I was in ore of this magnificent creature I think sharks that kill people should be hunted and donated to science

Apparantly he was some sort of ambassador thing for shark sheild , and sources say he always took 2 down with him , so i doubt very much he wouldnt have been wearing one , and every diver knows that the ascent is the most dangerous time so i doubt his s/s would have been turned off, Only time will tell if they were on or offf when police divers find em . Surprising that they dont hang em off the boat while the divers down there. Wonder how those police divers feel jumping off the boat looking for the remains knowing theres 2 hungry sharks in the area. Tragic mishap . I personally think the whole gw thing is getting out of hand , shark cage tours would have something to do with the growing curiosity of gw sharks and boats , Personally i love the shark , but also think some sort of population control is needed as these sharks have increased hugely in number since the ban on catching them , just imagine if that was your child out there , gone and not even a body to bury . Yes it is their territory and yes they dont know any better , but this is our world , we control it and pollute it so the waters ours as well.

My heart goes out to the skipper and friends and family of the victim.It's a sad thing when these attacks happen, but at the same time very random and I think rare really when you consider the amount of divers and surfers out there around our beautiful country. I have spent a lot of time in the water myself. And two events stick in my mind quite well, one was in Vanuatu diving when a school of what I assume were "reef" sharks, came scooting through, they pushed me down and out of the way as they tore off into the distance, I don't know what they were doing, but the were like a little pack of pitbulls!The other time was when I came very close to a Tiger Shark while surfing out at Margret River in WA, Yallingup actually, I had seen fins and shadows before, but this time while waiting for a set, a big Tiger came gliding by so close I could have reached over and touched her flanks!!!! I caught the next wave to shore and spent the rest of that day in the pub!!I know that heaps of us would have stories like this, and I think that when sharks actually DO attack, it's the sharks that have made an error in judgement. That's only my thoughts.We are lucky to have such a wonderful coastline to give us an awesome playground and enable some to earn a good dollar, but however random and rare these attacks may be, it reminds me that we are still just surviving at the whim of nature.I wish all the best to the whole community over there and the family of the victim interstate

Knew Paul Buckland and Jevin Wright from lincoln for many years prior to their attacks on the west coast. its a sad day to hear of another one gone in the local area. we had a girl on my last tour that did the shark cage diving. she saw 3 big whites.. was an experience of her life. one id love to enjoy as well. just hope that the anti shark people dont get on the band wagon and demand these fish to be hunted and killed.