Whats your goto rod and reel combo?

Your probably not going to believe this but my goto rod is a Saltiga Hirimassa 63S and daiwa Freams 4500J LOADED WITH 20LB MONO, buts thats because I mainly baitfish MetroMONO - I KNOW ITS CRAZY, BUT SEEMS TO CATCH ME LOADS OF GOOD SNAPPER. AND PROBABLY GOING TO SPOOL WITH TRILENE (CLEAR MONO) AS I RECKON IT CATCHES MORE FISH THAN BRAID.If Im fishing plastics I have:Berkley Venom King Brown and Certate Hyper 4000 or ABU Veritas and Shimano Symetre 3000.For light work I have a Black Diamond Bream Reaper and luvias 2000

I use various ugly sticks and penn reels, have had some for many years now just a matter of taking care with them. I also have have two classic rods built by yatesy from SFS, which are over twenty years old and still in use today and my favourite being an FT67 coupled to a penn 360 slammer. ;) :woohoo: Has caught more Mullies than you can poke a stick at. :lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo:

I use various ugly sticks and penn reels' date=' have had some for many years now just a matter of taking care with them. I also have have two classic rods built by yatesy from SFS, which are over twenty years old and still in use today and my favourite being an FT67 coupled to a penn 360 slammer. ;) :woohoo: Has caught more Mullies than you can poke a stick at. :lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo:[/quote']Old school Ugly stiks are still the weapon of choice for many a great angler.Same with Sabres etc.Isnt it amazing that some of the stuff that was great years ago is still just as great today.I still love seeing a guy hooked up to a big red on a Sabre!!Although the Penn reels are bloody nice, I reckon some of the Penn rods are mighty fine for snapper and Mullies too Rick

Whiting - Calcutta 50 on a IMX CB560 or close to that running 20lb braid.Snapps Offshore - Trinidad narrow 16 on a HB60 30 - 50 running 50lb braidSnapps Inshore - 5500C Abu on a 5'6 4 - 6kg Abu Morrum graphite running 20lb braid.I like to swap around a bit though but always seem to pick up these ones on the run out the door.UHR - I sometimes switch my spool over to low stretch test mono when fishing the comps for 8kg. On the saltiga 4500. We use it for switch baiting little sails and marlin and I have a lot of fun with it but I always go back to braid when I am back here.

I use various ugly sticks and penn reels' date=' have had some for many years now just a matter of taking care with them. I also have have two classic rods built by yatesy from SFS' date=' which are over twenty years old and still in use today and my favourite being an FT67 coupled to a penn 360 slammer. ;) :woohoo: Has caught more Mullies than you can poke a stick at. :lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo:[/quote'']Old school Ugly stiks are still the weapon of choice for many a great angler.Same with Sabres etc.Isnt it amazing that some of the stuff that was great years ago is still just as great today.I still love seeing a guy hooked up to a big red on a Sabre!!Although the Penn reels are bloody nice, I reckon some of the Penn rods are mighty fine for snapper and Mullies too Rick
Now you mention it i forgot about my sabre with the 6500 Barra King, this Sabre is truly old skool. :lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo:

Whiting - Calcutta 50 on a IMX CB560 or close to that running 20lb braid.

Seems I am not alone!One of my all time favourites for baitfishing is a little Calcutta CT50, spooled with 4kg braid on a 5'6" Wilson Sovreign flickstick.I've put it through hell, it's fallen to pieces once, had the drag replaced, but it just feels right, and I keep hammering it to death.My "go to" rods are many and varied dependant on the situation at hand. Ya can never have too many toys!

thats a hard one when your spoilt with choice or a daiwa tragic:laugh: probably most common all round stick that comes out in the boat are my 2508 kix customs on infeet bay jiggers,not too expensive and make fishing for anything fun from whiting to squid,snapper.status phantom with a saltiga surf overhead for fast water live baiting requiring heavier weights.do have a soft spot for my saltiga 3500 game combo too.had a daiwa saltwater in the lighter range for many years that always came out in the boat and this was a great stick until i snapped it:( my 1st and only rod failure i hope:( cheers

Wow adambinfishin youve got some great gear there!!Being a Daiwa guy, I was surprised that I didnt know alot about the infeet.I knew it was an import but after reading your post, I checked it out at R&A and it looks super nice.DAIWA INFEET BJ 661XHS BLUE BACKER SPIN ROD $249 - JDM Product $249.00I assume a 4000 wouldnt be to big for this rod??...Its probably suited to 3000 better though hey??Do you use yours as a bait stick or as a plastics rod and what sort of sinker weight in oz could this handle??Could it handle a 3 or 4 oz lead and big bait without loading up the tip too much??

snapps and everything else big that swims by - 2010 saltiga 4500 running 50 lb braid matched to 2010 saltiga 60s 30-40 lb rod.Whiting all the way down the food chain to squid and tommies - 2010 certate 2500 hi gear custom running 10 lb braid matched to a 2010 daiwa spellbinder 5 - 9 kg rodthats all i ever take and all i will ever need.

snapps and everything else big that swims by - 2010 saltiga 4500 running 50 lb braid matched to 2010 saltiga 60s 30-40 lb rod.Whiting all the way down the food chain to squid and tommies - 2010 certate 2500 hi gear custom running 10 lb braid matched to a 2010 daiwa spellbinder 5 - 9 kg rodthats all i ever take and all i will ever need.

Yeah not much you cant stop on a saltiga 4500 & 50lb Braid.sweet outfits!! :) :)
Whiting - Calcutta 50 on a IMX CB560 or close to that running 20lb braid.
Seems I am not alone!One of my all time favourites for baitfishing is a little Calcutta CT50' date=' spooled with 4kg braid on a 5'6" Wilson Sovreign flickstick.I've put it through hell' date=' it's fallen to pieces once, had the drag replaced, but it just feels right, and I keep hammering it to death.My "go to" rods are many and varied dependant on the situation at hand. Ya can never have too many toys![/quote'']Ranger I just got a new set of carbon tecs for my little 50, poor thing has had the level wind worm drive done, main bearing, and the line guide replaced in the last 6 months. Should last another 15 years now.The 4500 is perfect for snapps. The HB60 is made by G Loomis, its a combination graphite tip fibreglass butt. It has a great action and doesnt kill me when I load the drag up. Not too many of these lying around anymore.I have noticed that I am wanting smaller lighter outfits to use, sort of like mini jig sticks with little overhead or spinning reels that with braid hold enough line and with a drag upgrade can actually fish it hard. Hence the Calcutta 50 and Abu 5500. Dont think you only need Saltiga or Stella there is a lot of good gear out there.

Yep there is a fair bit of good gear out there , and most has been in my hands , some of which is sitting in my spare room on rod racks . The two outfits i metioned earlier are definately my go to gear whenever i hook up the boat , I have a calcutta and a 6500 on short boat rods that permanantely sit in my boat and never come out , these rods have a squid jag and a whiting rig attatched at all times just incase of emergency.

calcutta 400 30 lb finns braid with a sabre custom, built by yatesy sfs.light enough for kg's etc. and has taken a 9kg red from its dwelling no hassles.my whiting stick is a sienna 2500 8lb finns and a shimano aerplus 562 spin rod which i had bent in half last weekend thanks to a ray and a doggy ask Rickster he was my witness.got a couple penn sports and a ugly stick with a charter special when i dont wanna muck around with the reds.cheers 4THA.

Wow adambinfishin youve got some great gear there!!Being a Daiwa guy' date=' I was surprised that I didnt know alot about the infeet.I knew it was an [b']import[/b] but after reading your post, I checked it out at R&A and it looks super nice.DAIWA INFEET BJ 661XHS BLUE BACKER SPIN ROD $249 - JDM Product $249.00I assume a 4000 wouldnt be to big for this rod??...Its probably suited to 3000 better though hey??Do you use yours as a bait stick or as a plastics rod and what sort of sinker weight in oz could this handle??Could it handle a 3 or 4 oz lead and big bait without loading up the tip too much??

howdy urhookedfish,the infeets are slightly soft,you can get away with a 3000 sized reel but the 2500 sized reels probably fit the bill better,but this is only my opinion.i think it depends what you are going to do,we got 20kg tuna on the infeets last year so for the money they are not bad value.saying that saltiga bay jigger is a better stick but double the price.recently got a new 62s saltiga stick to fish my 3500 game on and believe it or not its a better stick than the 68s which before that i thought you could not get much better,lifes tough with daiwa addiction,haha,cheers mate

snapper = Daiwa Saltiga bay jigger pe 20 rod with Daiwa Branzino 3000 with 30lb braid 300mtswhiting = Daiwa steez 2508 (which im selling at the moment )and wilson live fibre texalium rod 2-4kgKingfish /Samsonfish = Daiwa saltiga 6500 expedition with 90lb braidwith Jiggin Master 3 Kings Special custom import rodKingfish/ Samsonfish / Tuna and all bottom bouncing = New Daiwa 2010 Saltiga 4500 with 50lb braid matched with new 2010 Saltiga 60sBig Tuna/Sharks = shimano tiagra 30w lrsa with 1100 metre sof 30lb monoon custom made sabre stick.Mulloway/sharks = Saltiga surf 6000think thats it hav other but only really use these

I like most, have a shed full of rods and reels in various stages of disrepair.My go to combos are very simple;Light including Sps I have a cheap 2-4 kg shimano 6ft 6This has a 2500 Sedona. I have two spools one with 6lb braid one with 10lb braid.The other is my trusty ugly stik with 4000penn. 20lb mono 30lb leader ;)Simple but fun ;)

For the metro beach and rocks - Daiwa Neoversal 9ft with 2000 luvias & 10 lb braid.For the boat. Light - burkley diablo 2-4kg, daiwa custom kix 2508 with 15 lb braidMedium - G Loomis BSR 803 ( i think ) matched to a 2010 daiwa certate 2500R with 20lbHeavy - Saltiga game combo with 30lb braidGot a few more bits and pieces but these are the ones i usually use.

ok heres what I runteam daiwa redback 10-17lb rod matched with 3000 redback reel running 20lb sunline this is my heavey snapper set upteam daiwa sol type 2 10-14lb rod matched sol 3000 running 15lb sunlinethis is my inshore snapper set upberkley 2-4kg dropshot with 2000 tierra use for tommies, whiting, bream, squid etc.10ft penn spinfisher big game rod with a Daiwa windcastx running 35lb low stretch monouse for salmon mullies etccustom 10ft classic rod with abu 7000 running low stretch mono 30lbmullies larger baits

for snapper Shimano TR 200g Spooled with 25 pound braid fitted with a shimano spectrum PLUS :P. that was the first rod and reel i baught, i was 11 :0Whiting, Sabre 3-4 kilo, Shimano Calcutta Beach rod , Daiwa Sensor surf, with Abu Garcia 7000i 30 pound mono Sharking:Some fully rolled Road i have and a shimano TLD 50A 2-speed have another shark rod but need to purchace another reel for it i have many other but there the main ones i use ;)

I have 7 or 8 combos that get a regular run but 1 standout which is first packed for every session. My little tierra 1500 and fin nor flick stick combo spooled with 6lb braid, I down sized from a 2000 daiwa and 10lb line and there's no going back.It gets used for flicking out tiny unweighted baits to catch live bait to sending pillies down a burley trail for reds.I love it and thrash it and it loves me back :P