Hey All,Might be some decent news heading our way in the near future. Just read a brief published in todays advertiser regarding opening up the Pt Stanvac Jetty to recreational fishing.The brief in the Advertiser link ishttp://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/divers-fishers-welcome-exxon-mobil-jetty-offer/story-e6frea83-1226111800497]The full story is in the Southern Times Messengerhttp://southern-times-messenger.whereilive.com.au/news/story/port-stanvac-jetty-offer/]

Fair call there Brenton. :clap: Just a throwing it out there though. What would the odds be that any sizeable specimen or even any size squid/cuttlefish, would swim away and survive without damaging the fish.Only raising the question cos if the intension is to release all species, you atleast want all of them to swim away just as healthy as they came up.

Fair call there Brenton. :clap: Just a throwing it out there though. What would the odds be that any sizeable specimen or even any size squid/cuttlefish' date=' would swim away and survive without damaging the fish.Only raising the question cos if the intension is to release all species, you atleast want all of them to swim away just as healthy as they came up.[/quote']That is a good point, wonder what the survival rate would be of throwing a snapper back from the top of the jetty would be?...of course the best way would be to release from a ladder, but some would simply hurl back over.I definately do love the catch n release concept though Brenton.that would be off the rictor scale awesome!

People should be allowed to keep a feed from the jetty if it opens. We have stringent bag limits in this state already.Land based anglers are already at a massive disadvantage compared to boat anglers when it comes to catching a feed of quality table fish.

As much as I'd love to be out there fishing the place the second it opens....I kinda hope it does remain a no fishing zone. Look at places like Aldinga. If you have ever been out ther snorkelling, the species absolutely flourish with no one being able to even C&R.I personally think it would be wise to have it as a diving only site as much as that sucks for us fisho's but hey...we havn't been able to touch it for how many years any way ? On a side note, when you look at the positives that come from being able to fish around the area, a good burley trail can bring some of them over anyway. There is still decent sections to be fished north of the jetty which at present are unaccesible which opened up will see regular catches and allow the species to breed and shelter around the jetty for years to come whcih would ensure regular cathces. This also includes land based so I'm not just talking about boats either. For years no one has been able to get to close and there is some fantastic terrain around there. One of my fav squid spots is right on the northern border almost in casting distance for land based. Just very hard to get to. If they open a road/carpark it would be a lot easier and we all know how good the areas is for squid down through to marino/seacliff.I reckon if opened it would simply become another wallaroo...the "odd" snapper catch once it's cleaned out. ANd it would get cleaned out pretty quick.All this said and done..if it is opened I might as well be down there with the boat to have a crack before everyone else does. I know there has been kingies taken off there as well as sizeable snapper so resident fish won't be hard to catch. The school of lsimies that would hang around there would be fun in them selves let alone the big boys behind them See what happens huh !! I really can't see them taking it down though.

It would provide tremendous social value though if it was opened. They'd always be plenty of nomadic species such avs snook, gar, tommies, squid etc.Theres going to be vast tracks of water closed soon with marine parks/fish protection so giving a little bit back to metro land based anglers would be a good thing i think.

They could always see about making a user paid jetty like I posted about encountering in the US.Given the tight-fisted nature of most Australians around here it would ensure only the most enthusiastic fishermen went up there and forked over their cash for the right to fish off it. Its not like it would be taking anything away from people given that currently there is no right to fish off it.Plus that way it would raise money for its maintenance and insurance (which I think the council is concerned about) and allow strict controls over people taking their catch home to make sure bag and size limits are adhered to. Could even put stricter limits on the jetty itself to maintain its fish stocks and health (eg: all fish over a certain size should be release to grow larger and breed)

I'd love to see it opened ( and believe it will hopefully in one way or another) as I can imagine new residential suburbs in the area ( god know's it needs it down there ), restuarants on the foreshore...it's limitless. Who knows, with the amount of land down there they could open up a mini mal, new fishing stores...dive stores...it's all up to the government and Onk council really. Some big investors show some interest and the place could really take off. I know theres's no real beach there but the snorkelling in summer would be sensational !! I know what you're saying about giving a bit back to. Just look at the warren when they shut South Parra...they are listening !!As for landbased, even having access to the surrounding land without the jetty would be a win. Still some deep water and plenty of species in close there

Jaggs, the more I think about it the more I think I would be happy to forego my land based opportunities on this jetty or area for the protection of snapper in the Osullies area.Snapper are using the jetty to feed at night in summer and also using that area in general to feed on squid and slimmies and maybe even rock crabs in the reefy areas.I think your spot on about us having got used to not fishing it for fourty years and its doing well for us.Lets keep it as is I say.Brett.There are plenty of other locations along the coast to fish.

Most of the metro jetties don't fish well because they're situated on baron desert like sand bottom thanks to pollution killing all the weed.Metro snapper get flogged by anglers with boats anyway so it would be good for a land based angler to have a half decent chance fishing a location where they might get one too.Plus think of the shark fishing prospects.

I, like a lot of others would love to see it open but imagine how quickly it will get smashed! Every keen fisho would be an idiot not to dive on the oportunity and the area will be reduced quite quickly. I'm sure it will produce for a while but slowly it will be degraded by careless fisherman polluting the area etc.I'd love to have a snorkel in the area though :) Would be a great jetty to look under!

I fish the osullies area both LB and by boat and its not hurting anyone by being off limits now and the place would be ruined within 12 mnths of being opened, bag limits or not. The government talks about marine parks. This is a prime example of the sort of area that should be protected. Yes i salivate at the prospects of parking my boat on it at nite but how long would it last 12mnths? 5 years? I always drive past in the boat and think how good would it to be to fish there?!! and i think thats how it should stay. just my 2 cents cheers OS B)

exactly OS...Ever since I can remember I have driven past there in the boat and wondered but in reality I don't need to. We knwo what fish it would hold and we know they would get cleaned out quite quickly. Could you imagine opening day...then the next !! People would walk away with 80cm snapper then the next week 50cm and then complain how there is nothing left.Nanman....Have you sharked from Whitton bluff, from Hallet, from snakes at the onk mouth, porties ? All these areas are within cooey of the jetty and see regular shark come through yet no one ( well not many) put in the time. This is just a "too easy" or too lazy option for many.Again, I would love to target the species living there but it would be short lived.

Why not have the best of both worlds...Like Port Noarlunga leave the last 50-100m's a Fishing Free zone and keep the current restrictions on boat fishing around the jetty in place.I would also make it a pay to fish jetty so that it can be Fixed up properly so its able to be Dived and Fished responsibly.I can guarentee Divers would be willing to pay a $5 or $10 fee to fix the Jetty, specially if there was a tank refill (at a charge obviously) area.If your worried about the area being fished to quickly you could also put heavier restrictions on the Jetty...smaller bag limits, larger fish sizes ect.Theres more than a few ways this could be opened to recreational fishing without destroying the area if its done properly.

I have been fortunate enough to fish there,and can honestly say that it was like being transported back in time to what the fishing would of been like 70 years ago before everything got thrashed and pillaged.I would stick my neck out and say that it would be possibly one of if not the best jetty in the state...up with remote kI jetties and West coast destinations.We caught squid,ruggers,trevally,tommies,it was wall to wall salmon,casts with a lure would see literally hundreds follow it in every time.It was at the point where heavier sinkers were used to get past the Salmon to the trevally that lurked below.Talking to an old worker on there that had worked and fished there for years he was telling me that it has it all,from mullet and yellowfin whiting,bream,flathead in the shallows,to monster silver drummer,big kings and snapper at the end,sharks,runs of big jewies,you name it.When I fished it we were with a guy that worked there,he was only allowed to have 2 friends at a time,you had to fill paperwork in at the security gate,and smoking was only allowed within designated areas that were marked with yellow lines.It was an eye opener for sure.Cheers B)

Hence the reason why it should off limits.These species would be demolished with-in the first year.This has been off limits to the general public, I'd rather keep it off limits than to have it opened and then be shut down again.Its currently a sanctuary / breeding area for these fish and has been for years, keep it that way i say.

I can understand both points of view on this.Snapper are a fish that moves around a bit. New ones would come through to replace the snapper that were caught.But again i can understand the pros and cons of opening it up.Poor landbased anglers got it tough in adelaide.How do know thats boats don't fish it at night now anyway.....i mean now that the refinery is closed does the jetty still have security?

Yean, Nanman, they still have security there. We were drifting the area to the west of the Jetty one night and noticed a car driving along the jetty. We also knew that there was a boat in near the jetty on the North side. He got hunted out of there. Last week, when we launched at O'Sullies, there was a flyer in the kiosk regarding the exclusion zone and the $1,250.00 fine if caught inside it. There are surveillance cameras installed right along the jetty that are monitored.

Thats why the jetty is closed off, because theres harvestable clams underneath that there trying to protect...lol.It would be like Gold Rush Alaska if they opened it up..LOL :boot::boot: :laugh:Just to get this back to the thread topic.Thats what the Government is clearly failing to recognise, they already have three areas that are effectively acting as No Take Zones already.Aldinga Aquatic ReservePort Norlunga Aquatic ReservePort Stanvac JettyNot to mention the Hobart.And they are going to implement more for us. ARENT WE LUCKY.

Speaking of the hobart...I was chatting to a bloke that dives it and asked him about species there. Some huge flat head a nd pletny of snapper let alone KGW. Now to think this is an area that you used to be able to fish, yet the fish flock there as they aren't stressed for any reason.I think the idea of an exclusion zone if the jetty was to open would be a decent idea. Bit of give and take.Does anyone know the exact restrictions on the area at the moment ? Links would help.

From a publication in 2009, not sure if it is still the same, but it states basically a restricted zone extnding 400m from the jetty and another in a 500m radius around the offshore mooring facility.Here's the link, scroll down to Port Stanvac.http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/hanr2009322/sch5.html

PeopleHaving watched this thread and pondered some on the various thoughts presented I would like to share a (most likely) controversial consideration. My attitude to SZs, HPZs etc and the "process driven, science is settled" approach thereto is well known in these hallowed halls, but this is something which requires a "tread warily" attitude and I really do think that in this instance it`s a matter of Let Sleeping Dogs Lie. Deep breath...- The jetty in question has been a de-facto SZ for donkeys years- One of (effectively) three areas in the "metro" region, from a shore/jetty based perspective?- By all accounts, the biodiversity aspect is a major counterpoint to the fishing pressures the Gulf overall is subjected to- There are adverse non-fishing environmental impacts on the Gulf, removed from that location- I would hate to envision a situation whereby there would be an archetypal "plonker" and "no spik ingrish" rape-the-sea approach which is, at the very least anecdotally, so much the meme with our other metro jetties- This existing relatively small environmental microcosm is exactly what the middle-of-the-road marine scientists advocate in terms of localised appropriate small pockets for the purposes of biodiversity protection and conservation- PIRSA, with all due respect, would in all likelyhood not be able to maintain a sufficiently robust enforcement presence given their staffing limitationsSo, I say, let us leave it be. I stress this is being pragmatic and is far removed from the Wilderness Society, DENR et al approach of blatantly ideological and convention driven across-the-board "preservationism", for which I have the utmost contempt.Donning the helmet and flak vest...

Having read others posts here (and Kon, mate, no need for the Flak vest or Helmet) and having thought the proposal through, I am in agreeance that this jetty should probably remain as is. However, I kind of get the impression that if the Onk council don't want it, and the State Government don't want it, then Exxon Mobil WILL dismantle it. I guess that would be due to the maintenance upkeep and constant policing by security staff. It no longer turns a profit so they are hoping to off-load it. Now that brings a question to light regarding what the fish that depend on the structure being there will do. Will they move on? It's kind of a guessing game at the moment as to what would be the best outcome. If the jetty stays, someone pays. If it goes, then a valuable part of the local ecosystem that's been there for so long has been effectively lost. Either way it will not sit well with the values of DENR or the Wilderness Society or, possibly the recreational sector (Not just Rec Fishers either!).

There's going to be new sanctuaries all over the state with the introduction of marine parks so why not give a bit back to the anglers of this state.Fish are going to have plenty of protection as it is soon.If there was no such thing as marine parks then i would say definitely retain the area as an aquatic reserve.Besides if there's no public use of the jetty then it will most likely just go to ruins and be dismantled anyway.Something i've noticed over the last few years is previously fishable wharfs around the state are now being closed to the public.Classic example is the wharf at port lincoln. About 85% of it is now closed to the public. I hear the wharf at thevenard is the same so stuff it fish are getting plenty of protection as it is now.