Light rod for lures advice?

Hey, I'm interested in flicking some lures about in fresh and salt water so I'm looking for a light rod (2-4 kg) by itself as I already have a good (but cheap) 8 ball bearing 2000 bait runner reel with 6lb Fins braid.. I've been told to get a Shimano Catana 7 foot rod with the cork handle in the 2-4kg range to suit what I want, and that it should be around the $50 mark, but the shops I've called or visited either only sell them in a combo or are around the $100 mark. I know it sounds cheap, but I don't want to be paying double the price for the same quality rod..my question is - does anybody know where to get that rod for around that price? OR - can anybody recommend a similar or better rod at around the same price range? ($50 - $70)thanks! :fishing:

Thanks guys! tonyb - I'll keep an eye out for a second hand Shimano Raider, but I'm not really sure where to be looking.. Phil29 - I'll give them a call to find out prices, I dont mind a bit of a drive if I have to.. and I'll have a look at a review of that rod and make a comparison..Old Salty - good to hear a good testimonial! only reason I mentioned a cork handle was because I wasn't sure of if that made a difference to the price.. thanks again!

I picked up two in the trading section on S&H when my original 150 buck model got run over! :S :pinch: :rain:

oh mate, that'd be dreadful! :pinch: I'll keep watching that section and see if something comes up.. I might get a bit impatient though and get myself something sooner ;) solid317 - the rod just keeps sounding better.. if I dont see the Raider for a bit cheaper, that's definitely going to be my next rod!
Hey' date=' I'm interested in flicking some lures about in fresh and salt water so I'm looking for a light rod (2-4 kg) by itself as I already have a good (but cheap) 8 ball bearing 2000 bait runner reel with 6lb Fins braid.. I've been told to get a Shimano Catana 7 foot rod with the cork handle in the 2-4kg range to suit what I want, and that it should be around the $50 mark, but the shops I've called or visited either only sell them in a combo or are around the $100 mark. I know it sounds cheap, but I don't want to be paying double the price for the same quality rod..my question is - does anybody know where to get that rod for around that price? OR - can anybody recommend a similar or better rod at around the same price range? ($50 - $70)thanks! :fishing:[/quote']Go to big W and get yourself a Shimano ET special Soft plastics Rod 7ft 2 piece bought mine 5 years ago and has caught plenty of fish :) and well in your budget
You should be able to pick up a second hand' date=' Ian Miller designed, Shimano Raider for around that much cash and you will not regret a cent of the money spent :woohoo:[/quote'] BCF had them 4 $89 a little while ago, might be cheaper now that xmas has passed. Picked up the 2-5kg Bass Raider and they are quality rods at a good price imo.

The ET soft plastic rod is almost identical to the Catana and well within price range.I have used the Catana as well as several Starlo stix before I upgraded to better gear and all will suit very nicely for light work.If you can stretch to $100 you can pick up a new raider from Ray and Annes http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/rods-reels/shimano/shimano-rods/shimano-raider-finesse-bream-99/

I've owned many different outfits over the years, and I was pretty unimpressed with the Catana.Berkeley Dropshot is another cheapy which would be suitable, but for my money I would agree with TonyB and lean towards the (6'8") Rack Raider or (7'2") Bream Finnesse as a good, hard wearing and gutsy rod, while still being cheap and easy to find.These rods are a little heavier than either the Catana or the Dropshot, but as a first rod they will stand up to the knocks and bumps a little better, being far less fragile, and they are capable of muscling some much larger fish out of tight structure.

To be honest your best off saving another week or so and getting a good quality cheapy like ranger said. Raiders and drop shots are both awesome, I was on a budget when I bought my trout outfit two years ago and depite being able to afford something better now I wouldn't even bother. I got a starlo stix 1-3kg stream spin for $75 and matched it with an shimano ELF 1000 for $120.Well worth the money and casts a 3gm lure a mile with 4lb braid!