Jetty Congestion

This isn't a go at anyone in particular but a general observation I went down to my local Jetty the other night got there about 8pm walked the whole length of it and counted 90 legal single hoop crab nets tied off on both sides of the Jetty. there were around 12 rod and line fisherman squeezed in amoungst the crabbers . So I didn't bother unpacking my gear and went home. (Putting on flame proof suit) :evil: I think its about time we banned the use of these nets. 3 double hooped nets is fine per fisherman 10 single is just plane ludicrous what do you think fellas.

But then if it ain't crab nets it's bloody squid teasers on handlines. Hardly anyone takes any real notice of their handline and allow them to drift into the path of everyone else.There's often an elderly man at Brighton jetty that will use 6-8 rods and usually around 10 handlines!!

This isn't a go at anyone in particular but a general observation I went down to my local Jetty the other night got there about 8pm walked the whole length of it and counted 90 legal single hoop crab nets tied off on both sides of the Jetty. there were around 12 rod and line fisherman squeezed in amoungst the crabbers . So I didn't bother unpacking my gear and went home. (Putting on flame proof suit) :evil: I think its about time we banned the use of these nets. 3 double hooped nets is fine per fisherman 10 single is just plane ludicrous what do you think fellas.

10 nets per person, ""thats presumably 90 chicken carcases"" 90 nets that you counted, and ............. hang on, didnt they blame the shark fisherman?????

There's often an elderly man at Brighton jetty that will use 6-8 rods and usually around 10 handlines!!

That elderly man should be reported to fisheries. The laws apply to everyone!
I've called Fishwatch and others have also, but does anyone EVER show up and book him....... not while I've been there!!

it is rediculous about the rule..gotta agree that that amount of crab nets sure attracts sharks more than a dead snook or squid etc hanging under a balloon...i think i know who u mean at brighton he has also been done by fisheries for taking undersized fish and crabs but he just goes back and does the same thing the next day...

When i was a kid dad always used 10 crab nets out of the boat. He would set them in a line about 50 metres apart and idle along them. By the time youd pull the tenth net it was about 15 minutes later and the first one was ready to be pulled.Given space restrictions on a jetty perhaps the limit should only be 5 but then that discriminates against land based crab netters.

When i was a kid dad always used 10 crab nets out of the boat. He would set them in a line about 50 metres apart and idle along them. By the time youd pull the tenth net it was about 15 minutes later and the first one was ready to be pulled.Given space restrictions on a jetty perhaps the limit should only be 5 but then that discriminates against land based crab netters.

Given the fact that we are faced with reduced fishing areas through the new marine parks I would say this is time to look at this issue seriously. space will be at a premium on our Jetties why not be pro active about this and tell the relevant Gov departments that this practice need to stop at least on our Jetties . I dont have a problem with this number still being used from aboat. we are trying to get our kids away from tv computer games and out side Fishing is a healthy out door recreation we all have to learn to share the space available and cutting down on single hoop crab nets is one way of doing this .
I've called Fishwatch and others have also' date=' but does anyone EVER show up and book him....... not while I've been there!![/quote']Betcha the moment someone spots a Sharker breaking the rules there'll be 500 fisheries officers crawling over the jetty within minutes though. :(:angry:
Maybe ring in and report a sharker, and "WHEN " the fisheries turn up, say he left, but hey, look over there at this old guy breaking the rules.........Just a thought .....