kill or release?

i myself dont dont like to keep many big fish that i catch. i would prefer to let it go for someone else to have a chance at catchin. i dont see the point, cos the littler one taste better anyway. i would love to know what others think about this matter, as it sickens me to think that my kids or grandkids might not ever have a chance at catchin a big mullie,king or red. not saying the odd fish isnt okay to keep for food but when people keep them for no reason other than to stock the freezer or for crab bait its just insane.. this has come about after seeing big breeders of late taken from places so fragile just for bragging rights. eg pt agutta, the port river and big xos local reds. this is my oppinion would love to hear others. THIS IS NOT A DIG AT ANYONE! :icon_evil: here is a tagged mullie still swimming and breeding to make more mullies for you and i to catch later on in life. size=640http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/mK1yoXjC__tagged_millie.jpeg[/img]

I do take a feed of fish,not often, but depending on what kind of fish it is, eg bream i would definetly not take due to growth rates etc, cant say I would take a mully coz I havent caught one..., :( but dont think I would take one anyway, but I am more of a sports fisherman and only fish for the fun of it and the missus doesnt eat fish anyway!! ;D

I release all my bream, mullies,flathead ,rock species,drummer,cuttlefish and trout.But must admit to killing all puffers that i get into the boat.I did keep a 20lb mully once but never again,I,d rather a feed of gar or whiting anyday.We don,t get many K/G over 40cm metro but i reckon these should be released as well. cheers brenton

all good news fellas. well done on your posts/morals. i just cant stand the floggers that fish every weekend and keep everyfish. when their freezers a full give it away. its just insanity. i gets me real devo. all they doing is crashing their own partys. there will be none for them to flog. :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:

i have a soft spot for all fish and i release almost everything i catch including all mulloway! wat alot of people probally dont kno they are catching and killing fish which can be up to 20 years old or more just for a feed when they can go buy bacon which is 100 x better eating anyway!!!! i also promise neva to kill a ray as they ar slow growing species and i dont know wat id do each time i go to the yorks and cant see them gliding along sand flats i just couldnt live!!! the only fish i keep ar salmon trout if im desperate for bait besides that catch n release all the way!!cheersbrooksy

Gidday srick,a very touchy subject.I have receintly been judged in different ways by my friends ,enemies,fellow fishers,and total strangers.I will presume before proceding here the reactions/replies i receive from this post will be along similar lines.[i make no apologies] I have fished inland rivers for goldern perch (callop) and murray cod all my life,(Lets not discuss goldern perch at this stage).I have seen many murray cod caught in many ways,most ways I now totally disagree with since reading/learning/watching and learning to be a caring fisherman,however as recently as last december 07 I am guilty of taking a truly magnificent murray cod 30kg/66Lb while luring holes in the very fast drying darling river.We had been lure fishing on and off about three months as when the darling river stops flowing it starts to clear enough for lures,This has only happened to my knowledge five or six times in about thirtyfive years where i fish ,having caught smaller cod on bait and some on lures in northern rivers (some were released) i often wondererd when asked "if i caught a large cod would i keep it?" I really did not know until this day.when i was fishing this particular weekend and the weeks leading up to same we were finding dead and dieing cod of all sizes in different waterholes over a seven or eight kilometer strech of river (two or three every other day. sadly)This is what influenced my decision.There is more to the story and photos but thats for another time . ragards peelipeeli11

I release all my bream, mullies,flathead ,rock species,drummer,cuttlefish and trout.

You do WHAT ????Realease cuttlefish. Shame on you Brenton, they taste better than squid by a country mile. Dont release them anymore, I implore you. Take them home in good condition and call me, I'll come get them from you.
I like to release them because good king neptune looks after me,also they are bloody messy and that ink sure does stick.....badluck fella cheers brenton
Guest undertaker

I like to keep a feed now and then......salmon trout and tommies for the smoker.A few yellowfin whiting here and there.All the mulloway I get are released,along with the rays. ;)I take a couple of small bronzies every now and then.All my carp get knocked on the head.....either for shark / ray bait or for the crab nets.Something special about turning a 2kg "swamp trout" into 40 nice bluey's.........like to see David Copperfield or Chris Angel do that! ;D

I release all bream caught nowadays and would release any big mulloway if i ever catch a big one. But schoolie sized cum home as well as gar,tommies,squid,snaps,cuttle fish(occasionally) ;). Not only do i fish for sport but i have hungry mouths to feed at home so bringing home a good feed when i go out makes it more financialy viable with the money spent on gear,boat repayments,bait etc. but say if i get a good haul of gar,tommies,squid,snapper i wont target them for awhile and catch sumthin else. ;Dcheers

do you all realise that all the male cuttlies die after the great rooting migation?Eat the males, they die anyway!

mate im not havin a dig. I keep a cuttly every now and again as i love to cook them in tomatos and chilli, and eat with pasta or crunchy bread, way better than southern calamaris!BUTAs u said the males die after spawning, so you should eat the females not the males. any males you catch have NOT HAD A CHANCE TO BREED OR THEY WOULD BE DEAD!!!

I would never, ever kill a big bream, they just take too long to grow. That said, when catching salmon that are gorging themselves stupid on baitfish i dont feel bad for spiking a couple for the plate or mullie bait, it puts things into perspective; if you release a big sambo, chances are you just indirectly killed hundereds of baitfish, so what really is the impact if you eat him?

This was a trojan post right from the word go.Was designed to cause troubles and nothing else.

Personally, I dont believe that srick meant to cause any trouble with this post. It all started from a chat in the shout box.I think its healthy to feel out other peoples opinions, and I didnt see see that much agro at all from peoples responses.Everyone is entitled to a feed, and no one will ever deny that.Now, lets discuss the devostation caused by our magnificent prawn trawling fleet. wink «( º _ – )»

howdy all,this is definately a touchy subject and i think it needs a bit of give and take.i definately support preserving our fish stocks for future generations.everone fishes for different reasons aswell,also taking home a feed now and then is good also.people probably need a common sense approach whether they need to kill or release.its not much good if a couple of big snapper sit in the freezer for a couple of years either.nothing wrong with releasing them to fight another day,makes you feel good.cheers adamibinfishin.

Fair enough. After re reading my post I didn't word it very well.But there are plenty of us on here who have seen posts like this go very sour on many other fishing sites through out Australia.It is generally the sort of topic that gets some people to jump on tall horses they would not normally ride.We only catch what we are prepared to eat and although we love our fishing if the freezer has enough fish we tend to target harder to catch species or try and find new areas on the sounder.Problem is I'm a crap fisherman so having too many fish is rarely an issue.. :icon_lol:So catch and release is only something I would consider doing with bigger stronger species like snapper. Tend to think doing it with Whiting is a waste of fish as they can be a bit hit and miss with survival when released so we dont target them any more once we have enough.Each to their own but if the wrong posters are around you are playing with fire :-\

Prawn Star not sure about your comment re releasing snapper. I release and keep a lot of fish and snapper are defintly the hardest species to release even in very shallow water. I tagged 3 fish around 10kg in 4m of water and not one of them swam away 100% and i only took one photo of each so were out the water no longer than 2 min more likely 1 minute.

i think people are getting me wrong i keep some fish for eating and also for the grandpa who cant get out himself anymore. he likes trout and tommies so im happy to get him a half duzz when they are on. i only want to know others views and what they consider eatable and just sport. i release 95 percent of my big fish these days but i do keep my by catch fish like whiting, half the squid i catch(release the left over fit livies), some trout, some ruggers and the odd big snapper that is to weak to release. and also i would keep one mullie if its of dream size for moulding and eating. but will not keep a big king or regular sized mullie ever again if i can help it. so i am not bagging anyone that keeps a feed lets just get this straight. 8) cool? ps THAHN ive had the same trouble as you with big reds. they are almost as weak as jewies. i have found that spearing them straight in after a flick is working for me, they do straight down. but shallow water is another thing its a slow process most times.

Why do we need to mould a fish of mega proportions? can i buy a moulded fish of the same proportions and say to my mates i caught that fish,who's going to know the difference ? we are fisherman we are known to stretch the truth.Who here wouldn't keep or hasn't kept their first memorable fish?As we get older and smarter we seem to turn into sportfishers and appreciate what we have on our doorstep.Return the breeders!!!

• 3 months later...

Gidday srick,a very touchy subject.I have receintly been judged in different ways by my friends ,enemies,fellow fishers,and total strangers.I will presume before proceding here the reactions/replies i receive from this post will be along similar lines.[i make no apologies] I have fished inland rivers for goldern perch (callop) and murray cod all my life,(Lets not discuss goldern perch at this stage).I have seen many murray cod caught in many ways,most ways I now totally disagree with since reading/learning/watching and learning to be a caring fisherman,however as recently as last december 07 I am guilty of taking a truly magnificent murray cod 30kg/66Lb while luring holes in the very fast drying darling river.We had been lure fishing on and off about three months as when the darling river stops flowing it starts to clear enough for lures,This has only happened to my knowledge five or six times in about thirtyfive years where i fish ,having caught smaller cod on bait and some on lures in northern rivers (some were released) i often wondererd when asked "if i caught a large cod would i keep it?" I really did not know until this day.when i was fishing this particular weekend and the weeks leading up to same we were finding dead and dieing cod of all sizes in different waterholes over a seven or eight kilometer strech of river (two or three every other day. sadly)This is what influenced my decision.There is more to the story and photos but thats for another time . ragards peelipeeli11

I release all fish I don't intend to eat, but will happily keep the less hardy fish as I eat most fish or use them for bait. I will also keep fish I haven't tried eating and if they taste like crap, I will use them for bait, for example I keep chow but only cos they are good bait, and they are very dry in my opinion.

I used to get some strange looks down at the Murray Mouth a few years ago,when I released Mullies. ;)I'd keep two or three for the freezer in a season,then catch and release. I actually had a well known Goolwa local try to gaff one that I released. :o :o. This same guy and his mates were exceeding bag limits and selling huge numbers of Mulloway for years.These are the same idiots that are whinging about a lack of fish today. ::) ::)

I love to catch fish, and yes I have and do on occasion fish purely catch and release, but I still reckon its cruel to fish purely for sport. Thats right I can be a hippocrate, I sometimes do something that deep down I feel might be cruel and egotistical.Millions and zillions of every species are born hatched whatever every year. Only "apparently" about 1% of those born survive to mega sizes. I would be quite happy for all mullies and snapper over 1m, all bream and whiting over 45cm etc etc to legally have to be put back. I dont agree that the bigger fish taste worse, Ive had some ripper mullies bream and snapper and they where delicious. Whatever the design of this thread is.. who cares its a fishing forum and gets us talking about fishing. One of the more pleasurable things in this world that helps us get outta bed each day. :fishing:

Holy SH!T you explained that a bit better this time. I actually agree with it.I really only fish purely for sport ion certain species or when the freezer is full. I have some flake and 1 snapper so it needs to be topped up.Super Thahn

I would be quite happy for all mullies and snapper over 1m, all bream and whiting over 45cm etc etc to legally have to be put back. Whatever the design of this thread is.. who cares its a fishing forum and gets us talking about fishing. One of the more pleasurable things in this world that helps us get outta bed each day. :fishing:

now there are a couple of points that i totally agree with. cheers brenton

I agree with you Highfly also... added to that, I'm not a great fan of catch and release and prefer to do so only in shallow water ... when fishing the deeper grounds I only fish to take them home for consumption.It's all legal and whatever you wish to do in the confines of legality whether it be bag out and take them all home or catch and release and not take anything home... it's a free country and we all are entitled to make our own individual decision :)