More news on super trawler!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quotas,quotas quotas,everybody is talking about quotas. Lets just forget about quotas for a minute and think about who is going to catch what and who is going to make all the money out of this.If ther

JUST GREAT to hear that a super trawler is allowed to fish off Australias coastline!Now why should i comply with any Australian fishing regulation , will they have bag limits or size limits the same

Four Corners was very interesting and at the same time very alarming. I have very little faith in AFMA now to do what is in the best interest of sustainable fishing, i have even less faith that it is

Posted Images

But wait there's more' date=' a whole lot more :dry: http://www.publicintegrity.org/2012/01/20/7934/infographic-aboard-lafayette

Its current berth at Port Lincoln also appears under threat after South Australian environment minister Paul Caica told parliament the ship would not be granted permission to operate in the state's waters.TB

Isn't it working in commonwealth waters making the S.A. Waters bit mute anyway TB ? :unsure:;)
I hope this includes berthing as well? It can fish, and fuel up somewhere else.TB

If Seafish Tasmania's quota was rejected (18 000 ton) and instead reduced to 9000 ton maybe this trawler wouldnt have been sent to Australia, could be an easy way for Govt to send it packing back to Europe.Flinders Ports should also not service this vessel, and should not have allowed it to dock in any of its ports. Not sure if state govt owns Flinders ports or who does , but sounds like Paul Caica might not like the look of this vessel in a SA port.

That would be a very nice message sent out to the rest of the worlds super trawlers Tb!In 2000, the State of South Australia announced its intention to privatise the South Australian Ports Corporation. Following a competitive bid process, Flinders Ports Pty Ltd ('Flinders Ports') was announced as the preferred bidder and the acquisition of the business was completed on 2 November 2001.In addition to the acquisition of the port infrastructure, Flinders Ports also acquired a 99-year land lease and port operating license for the Port of Adelaide and the six regional ports of Port Lincoln, Port Pirie, Port Giles, Klein Point, Thevenard and Wallaroo.Following the acquisition, the new owners have a major commitment to the on-going development of the existing trades utilising the ports in addition to attracting new business.Flinders Ports is Quality Assured, and is an Environmentally and OH&S accredited organisation.MissionTo provide port related services and infrastructure to satisfy the needs of the market and to achieve or exceed shareholders' ongoing financial expectations.VisionFlinders Ports will be recognised as the most customer focused and customer responsive port manager in the markets in which we operate. Privately owned it seems, once infrastructure has been sold i think you lose control and dont have as much a big say.

dont know if this one has been posted yet... but now.. WE AUSTRALIANS are paying for the frieght back to Africa. of the fish stocks.http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/306963/government-to-assist-seafishs-freight-costs/?cs=87"THE super trawler company has been offered government cash under a scheme to help with export freight costs.Seafish Tasmania is one of 36 companies, including many North-West firms, which have been offered government funding to help with export freight costs.They include Greenham Tasmania, Harvest Moon, Premium Fresh, Webster Field Fresh and Vincent Industries.Seafish is the company aiming to fish Australian waters with the controversial super trawler Margiris, which it has renamed Abel Tasman.The companies will share in the $14.5 million Tasmanian Shipping Transition Assistance Fund, which is part of a one-off Gillard Government package of $20 million to help Tasmanian exporters reach international markets."

Clean Seas Tuna director Marcus Stehr hoped the bill would be widely supported."The super trawler has been kicked out of the European Union and Australia seems to be it's last destination," Mr Stehr said. "We seem to be more flexible than other states, and countries for that matter, and we've got our own industry that we need to look after."

TB
You got to love this country. :angry: They are allowing this monster factory ship to rape and pillage our waters' date='while my little corner of Aldinga Reef has been declared a sanctuary zone and I can't go and catch a few Gar for dinner anymore. :c :c :c[/quote']The federal govt is also apparently supporting the idea that a business can do whatever it likes, despite there being a clear conflict of interest, amongst other inconsitencies that need looking at if they want to be responsible about this :blink::blink::blink::blink::angry: Meanwhile you and I risk big fines etc if we keep a few slightly undersized KG Gar or whatever :whistle: Think this countries becoming a Banana Republic again, i.e. its run by Bananas .