Northern Metro Salmon Talk

The weather is crappy :laugh: so that can mean only 1 thing... SALMON!Well mainly salmon trout for us metro anglers. Over tha last couple years I think there has been an increase in regular big ST catches. I like to call these Junior Salmon :) they ain't salmon trout.21cm to 35cm is the official Salmon Trout size. BUT over 35cm isn't exactly a elliston comp worthy Salmon lol.They are however cracking little sport fish since we encouenter them on 4-8lb salmon trout gear :woohoo:So where do you get these Junior Salmon 35-50cm and how do we hook em;-I have encountered them off the end of the northern outer harbor breakwall-Last year we had a school take full pilchards while baiting at quarantine station-And landbased I have encountered them at st Kilda and North haven breakwalls.About 18mnths ago I was fishing the nth haven marina (off of the middle rocks) and the water erupted like it was raining salmon trout. We were finding a fish a cast on 3" minnows and I fluked a nice 45cm jnr salmon. Probably twelve months later exactly, I went to st Kilda with some big tsunami plastics and landed amother nice 40+ fish. These arethe only few I've caught on lure, the majority I have landed on bait.Anyhow, what's been everybody's experience with these jnr salmon? Any tips? Cool photos?Where can you get em between outer harbor break wall and st Kilda? wonder if they travel through the cutting or around the section bank??? For a bit of fun, I entered a fish into the st Kilda tackle and tucker comp yesterday.... It was a modest 43cm, but I noticed in the book a 53cm and I think 57cm :ohmy: now that is some bloody good light tackle landbased sport fishing!!!The little sts go hard as... So if you haven't hooked into the jnr salmon, I highly recommend it.Cold weather, a bit.of wind and drizzle and line peeling off a 1000-2500 reel as a little sambo tailwalks across the water, is enough to keep a smile on anyone's fishing dial all winter long :) :) :woohoo: See youse out there yeah... And good luck on capturing something over 50cm (that's my mission) :) :) :cheer:

That write up's good enough to get most people pumped for a session on these scrappers Jack :clap: You almost got me poking my nose out the door :ohmy: :silly: Landbased is obviously that bit harder to find a school and keep up with it, but it seems to me they can be anywhere in that whole Port/ St Kilda area at any given time, though there's always the better known hotspots.A boat, preferably with a canopy to keep the rain off, can make it a bit easier as you'd probably know.The first corner to the right of the Garden Island boat ramp as you enter the North Arm used to be a good spot for them early in the season, but thye dont seem to be there in the numbers they once were :huh: My best tip, though many probably do it anyway, is to burley them up into your area if you cant find them, and do this in an area where there's some structure and a decent amount of current too, usually in shallower water.Alos try and keep away from areas where there's likely to be much of the fine ribbon weed, or cabbage weed drifting around too, as this can really stuff up a session by constantly fouling you lures or baits .Feeding dolphins can be a good sign of the STs being around , but the flip side of that is the :c s can also scare them off just as easily too :S :d/ 50cms was probably an unlikeley target in recent years, but with the apparent overall increase in size this year, hopefully it's well and truly on the cards 4 you :clap:B)

Pretty sure they used to net Australian salmon :huh: not sure when that stopped ??? Maybe that's the reason for the.steady increase??? :unsure:In the boat, I think it's good to troll a couple lures and stop once hooked up cos it's generally a school... The bigger ones are where the real fun is though hey! @AFF my tinny came with a nice bimini, also a full length canopy that attaches and two bolt on seats... All that carp came straight off and is in the shed. Think it might be worth putting that bimini back on for the rest of this winter ;) I think I have talked myself into a couple of months chasing after a 50cm local salmon :cheer:

[ @ jack.Nothing wrong with using lures to find the school, then anchor and burley them up to you.If you're good at spotting a schools movements, or it's just plain visible, simply follow the school at a discreet distance, casting into it as you go.For those who haven't done this before, resist the temptation to motor right in to the school, as you'll almost certainly put them off the bite.I'd probably stop eating my meal if a dirty big boat drove through the middle of it :blink: :whistle:

There used to be a bloke who netted everything and anything at aldinga and pt willunga. About 6-7 years since he stopped' date=' and the place has boomed ever since. He used to net upto 8 schools of salmon PER DAY![/quote]I seem to recall hearing a relative of his had taken over where he left off :huh: Lets hoope Im wrong and you're right ;)

Ive got a case of salmon fever at the moment, so excuse me while a post a few metro pics;Heres a few pics of my little metro salmon... good time of year to fire up and enjoy the fighty little buggers!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/supernorthbank/5184df61.jpghttp://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/supernorthbank/1d7a24af.jpghttp://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/supernorthbank/044ea323.jpghttp://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/supernorthbank/1278e601.jpgand remember... "WHERE THERE'S SMOKE THERE'S FIRE"... and WHERE THERE'S SALMON TROUT THERE IS MULLOWAY... well kinda :Phttp://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/supernorthbank/DSC_0384.jpg

went down to southport today at the mouth not even a touch! didnt even see one get caught.last year saw alot of birds hitting baitfish at the end of outer harbor rock wall the salmon pushed them up caught a couple upto 41cm good fun on 2lb! really want to get onto some this year.Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.usedit: dont know if its common or not but saw a whale off selicks about 200m out.

Same here I went to Southport yesterday for the 1st time hoping to catch some of those famous south metro salmon,I foul hooked an undersize one and that was all I saw for the 4 hours I was there, heaps of anglers and no fish..shoulda stayed closer to home and tried st kilda, seems its firing

Been a while since I got out on the rocks, but St Kilda was firing nicely this morning. Plenty of fish coming in when I got there and after a few casts with the trusty phantom double clutch I was on. Landed 6 fish myself and about 40 between three of us. I was a bit late and they went off the bite after about 10 minutes. All of ours went between 22 and 27cm. Also copped a treble in the palm after a lively little fella decided to kick. The double clutch was good on a slow retrieve but they were really hitting plastics hard this morning. IMAG0201.jpgIMAG0204.jpgGoing to go earlier tomorrow and with a few different weapons.

I normally try the st kilda breakwater on the way out for some ST's or then we try trolling all around the cutting area, depending on the tide height normally catch heaps of ST's in this area, high tide, quite easy to bag out but they are all around the 28cm size, then we venture up to the northern breakwater around O/H, the fish are always around this area normally, Use to catch allot of St's opposite the snowdens boat ramp on the corner where the markets are. Seen quite allot of decent sized ones in the creeks last trip out.Will see how we go tomoro :fishing: as its been a while now

If you're beach fishing, after you've snapped the neck (which kills them quickly and relatively humanely), dig a deep hole in the sand and stick them in head-first and bury them up to the base of the tail. It let's them bleed properly and keeps them relatively cool as well...Cheersaf

Bagged out in Westlakes yesterday from the Yak. Most fish took the double clutch, but the bushy's stiffy minnow also did well. Unfortunately for the shore based lurecasters, the fish were just out of casting distance and they had to watch me pull up fish after fish.I usually just bleed by cutting the neck, let the blood drain, a quick rinse, then straight on ice.