new snapper fishing laws

The new snapper fishing rules> Ban on snapper fishing from November 1 to December 15 for commercial fishers in 2012.> Extended ban to apply to all sectors - commercial, recreational and charter - from 2013.> New limits of up to five fish per person and up to 15 fish per boat.> From December 15, commercial daily catch limit of 500kg and limit of 200 hooks on long lines.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/price-rise-warning-as-commercial-snapper-fishing-ban-extended/story-e6frea6u-1226490959763I went WTF? when I saw this bit;The Marine Fishers Association has warned that allowing recreational anglers on to the water before commercial operators will disturb schools of snapper and make it harder for the industry to catch large volumes for sale once the commercial season opens.And this, aww diddums...This could reduce supply and double or triple the wholesale price, MFA chairman Mike Fooks said."It could be anything up to $15 a kilo for whole fish," he said.Translation - this year the glut from the excess slaughter won`t be offloaded for a pittance to end up in pet food cans? :whistle:

Il wait till I see the official press release before I cheer, but if its all true, IMO it’s a huge win for us recs and the lively hood of our fishery!! My heart bleeds for the pros, really does, toughen up princess’s, and accept it, as recs have been getting bent over for a while now, bout time they coped a spikey broomstick.I look forward to reading all the retarded comments the average Adelaide now reader will post on that story, I can see it now, all the jobs loss’s, the kids going without snapper for lunch on xmas day etc......

On the face of it, this appears to be good news.I think that the first two weeks of December for this year could also be used as an opportunity to assess the effect of recreational fishing on snapper without commercial interference.Lets hope PIRSA/SARDI use those two weeks as a scientific opportunity as well.TB :)

• 4 weeks later...

are these rules in from now . So this years ban is from the 1st of November to 15th of December. I only thought they were thinking about bringing them in . Where can i get a copy of these rules .?

This year it is Only for the professional fishing sector mate ;) next year it will be all and sundery :boot: Cheers 4THA

I wonder if they will eventually change the school holiday period to help the townships that rely on the huge number of tourist that flock to have their annual schnapper fix.Will be interesting to see how the townships react !!! As for the pro's having the schools spooked by the recco's be nice to return the favor :/ Cheers 4THA