Kite fishing in SA

funny, I was just looking at this the other day.good way to get a big bait out... but I think they have more success in other countries where they effectively run a long line out (20+ hooks). a few videos on youtube of guys hauling in snapper after snapper on one line.I don't think there's anywhere to hire one, but they aren't too expensive, about $100 for a decent kite, then just run it out on a rod & reel.I haven't heard of or seen anyone in SA doing it, but I'd imagine they'd come into their own on the surf beaches, able to get a big bait out pretty far.There's also another method, called a Kontiki.

You fly a kite, then attach a 'drop line' to the kite line, then let out more kite line to take your baits out to sea.wait, then haul in your dropline and collect your fish.repeat.the kite stays up the whole time you are fishing.thats one way anyway.depending on the kite, the wind can be blowing straight down the beach and you can still get baits out by 'tacking' the kite to fly against the wind and head out to sea.

Another method used a bit in NW of WA' date='they use helium balloons off the cliffs,which just skips a bait along the surface of the water below.........they use this for sailfish,marlin and kingies.........same principle as a kite I suspect :unsure:[/quote']I read an article on this in Modern Fishing, they were getting big Spainish Mackeral from like 40m high cliffs, pretty impressive i thought. alot of work and planning goes into it as well by the sounds of it but i can understand the appeal of getting big fish landbased :cheer: . Robson Green also does it on Extreme Fishing with a German chap off of a beach in New Zealand.Do u still get the fight of the fish when fishing with a kite or ballon?

Pretty much agree with what everyone has written already. It's popular in New Zealand so do some googling for some New Zealand fishing websites for more info. As mentioned there are a few different "styles" of kite fishing, from drag and dropping baits to trolling lures behind the kite.I toyed with the idea for a while, but in all honesty after doing some research it looked like it would add a fair bit more complexity to a simple land based fishing trip. I have enough trouble managing a single rod cast off the beach, so I could only imagine what sort of mess I would end up with trying to connect lines, flying a kite, dodging people swimming..... :ohmy: Take a look at the Robson Green episode where he does some kite fishing. It's quite a laugh and you will get a better appreciation of what's involved