Bag for wading shore fishing

I find that I'm wasting too much time going back and forth from wading to the shore to get more bait, rehook or deposit the catch (which lately is not often). This is only local stuff, not flats.

I've searched online and can't find much, but would be nice to have something to wear or strap to your front that can carry some pliers, bits of tackle, bait/burley and a bucket for the catch!!

At Tennyson theres a couple of guys that have a pretty neat setup (going for gar) but these are custom made I reckon. When I've got time I'd like to knock somehting up but in the meantime something to get me by would be great......so anyone got any ideas?

The only thing I could think of was one of those bait belt things from BCF and a small bucket with a rope for the fish.

Cheers.

get a hessian bag or fertiliser bag . turn it inside out 1/2 way and place a rope  through the top 2 cnrs. place over your shoulder and adjust the length of rope to suit the water depth you fish in as wet hessian keeps the fish cool. Used this sort for many years chasing y/fin  top of the gulf. for the guys that can not get a hessian bag is try a laptop satchel over the shoulder.

I'm a tub man as well, 6 pack esky in the tub to keep bait & drink cold, tray with spare tackle i.e. soft plastics, poppers, hard bodies & rigs, belt for pliers & knife. tub is also good to bring fish into so they don't drop off when unhooking. I also take a floating creel with me to keep the fish fresh/alive, just have to watch for the crabs sneaking up to steal my catch

Cheers

Yorky  

My introduction to beach fishing/wading was back in the US where we usually fished with lures and shoulder bags were the norm. Over here I still prefer a shoulder bag even though my style of fishing has changed a bit. I find it easy to access my gear, store fish I'm keeping and also sort of forces me not to bring too much crap. They also allow me to cover much more ground as I don't have to constantly be repositioning a bunch gear along the beach. The shoulder style bag doesn't seem to be nearly as popular around here, but here are a couple I've found that work well.

The first one is a Jarvis Walker bag with a main pocket that has a removable plastic liner for storing kept fish. It also has other pockets for tackle, water, etc. It's an inexpensive bag that can be found in many shops. I believe Berkley makes some similar models.

When it's warmer weather and I'm in the water a lot and obviously don't mind getting wet I use a Wilson hessian style bag. It has a large main pocket for the catch as well as smaller front pouch for some tackle. I usually have a little belt bait bucket on as well. Perfect setup for summer wading for yfw, etc.

being in a club for most of my youth and going through bags like, pheww that stinks and in the bin it goes haha

So i started making my own!

One thing though you need access to a sewing machine. You just buy a cheap $3 blue tarp. Have a look at the Alvey bag and do the same. I used to make one big pocket for fish and one smaller pocket for spare rigs and bait.

You just fold the cut to size big pocket part in half, lay another bit of tarp the size of the side pocket you want lining it up with the bottom, then stitch down each side and across the bottom, the shoulder strap just fold a length of tarp stitch it up and stitch to bag. Hey Presto done! I used to get one bag from the small tarp. Cheap in anyone's book and believe me, you will go though them if you fish like we used too

cheers chuck

The Alvey wading bag is the best on the market imo . B)

Yeah I got an Alvey, it stinks, I hardly use it much but I love it, worth getting one.

Even better if you can make your own though the Alveys don't cost much.

And Alvey make the best bait pumps on the market, also worth checking out if you are after nippers.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for all the comments guys, and the idea of making my own is definitely on the cards I reckon.

I ended up with a shoulder bag similar to the Alvey, pretty basic thing with 2 pockets, 1 catch area and room for a rule measure. Gets me by for now and seems to work ok. As this is for shore fishing from local beaches I needed something that will put up with swell/waves so the tub probably isn't going to work......but that's on the cards for nice days/flats.

The only problems I see is that it would be nice to have room for some quick tackle changes/rehook and a bloody decent opening on the catch bag! Something like a semi circle hoop. Too many suckers slipped out while trying to balance rod, open bag and get them inside. Of course it was always the big ones too......Then again a little holder for the rod to help with any tying up and de tangles would be nice too.....which I think gets me onto another thread....

If I ever get around to making it, my bags are going to have 1 way window for putting fish in, no zips or Velcro . Completely waterproof, best insulating material on earth, flat ice pack, plastic bag holder inside fish compartment, tackle section (completely water proof) leeder dispenser, measurer on the bag, camouflaged material, bait pouch, rod holder for re rigging. Fully machine washable :)

I've lost plent good yellowfin myself that have jumped strait back out my bag, and there aren't any on the market that can handle even half a day of high 30 degree heat before you're fish start cooking.

Just need to actualy get it made now....

Hopefully in the very near future :)