Rod Recommendations

I'm looking to downsize my beach salmon rod a bit and I'm looking for suggestions. Ideally I'd like something with fast action for throwing lures in the 10-40 gram range, around 2.7-3.2 meters in length, and with a light tip but some strength down low that I can pair with a Penn Slammer 260 loaded with 10 lb fireline. I basically want a rod that will make catching just-legal salmon fun but still be able to handle bigger specimens. I like the looks of the lightest model in the Daiwa Seajigger line but it's a bit pricey, any suggestions for something similar for less money?

tica graphite extreme 9' 8 -15 lb 4 -8 kilo 3/8 to 3/4 oz casting weight or a steve starling 9' lightshore spin 4 -10kilo40grams casting weight(i think) only thing with that one is the colour its about the same blue as the website, but hey if its got the action your after who cares ?? both about $140.00.

getting hard to find, and i believe they dont make them anymore, but could still be a few in shops though...snyderglas.... excellant rod IMHO...ive got 3 of them, 2 for an alvey, and the other is set up with an abu7000.the overhead rod is real nicely balanced, pretty light, and gets a good bend in it.... VERY nice to cast as it has good whipping action.ive been meaning to take it onto the beach, but sand in the abu is too much of a worry for me...

Thanks for the replies everyone.@ Waterboy Is that the spinfisher big game surf you're refering to?@ projoe The rod I'm looking to replace is a Tica Dolphin that I brought from the US, great rods too bad they don't sell them here. I think the Tica you mentioned though might be too light being only rated to 3/4oz. I'll have to take a look at the shimano though.@ rocknev Don't worry about the Abu on the beach, probably the best overhead for use in the sand ever made, and if it does get a little gritty then it's easy to strip down and clean.@ brenton Are those the rods meant for squidding? Whats the SFS?

plankton wrote:

Are those the rods meant for squidding? Whats the SFS?

Sport FishingSceneMight be a tad heavy for what u want but worth looking at the snyder 6110. Saw one @ Adelaide Bait n Tackle the other day. So if it fits the bill, I'm sure pillie'd be able to fix u up with it @ a good price. ;)Also saw the pacific composite Azagie equivelant in a two pce @ AS Hornes.
coonta kinta wrote:

plankton wrote:

Are those the rods meant for squidding? Whats the SFS?

Sport FishingSceneMight be a tad heavy for what u want but worth looking at the snyder 6110. Saw one @ Adelaide Bait n Tackle the other day. So if it fits the bill, I'm sure pillie'd be able to fix u up with it @ a good price. ;)Also saw the pacific composite Azagie equivelant in a two pce @ AS Hornes.
just had a look.... this is the same rod as i have.... EXCELLANT rod.... 30- 45 grams.... great action and balanced nicely with an abu 7000
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure how big the Penn Slammer 260 is compared to shimano equivalents but as for light salmon rods i would suggest the Shimano Starlo Stix in 9'. i was going to match up a 4000 size reel. so if this suits... definately worth the $$$ I purchased it from SFS for $100 and seen it at spot on for $150... what a highjackThe rod i got is brand new and i would consider selling it for $70 if you're keen.shoot me a PM

plankton wrote:

Thanks DoRi 34, I need to check out that Starlo rod next time I'm near a tackle shop, I'll let you know if I'm interested. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to sell it if it's brand new?

i just don't do that kind of fishing any more.although i did use it the weekend just past and caught some salmon to 2.5kgwas very fun, really liked the way this rod performs.pm me if you're keen. i will now have to sell it as, used once regards

have to agree with benny mt6110 is the best 2 outfits i have got one i run overhead with abu 6500 and the other run a daiwa cy4000 and bg20 one with 6kg other with 8kg nice whippy tip and good grunt lo down my are are aprox 2.8 mtrs long caught small tommies and gar to 8lb salmon .I dont know if anyone still sells them straight of the rack but r and a used to have them under the little devil name they have one a little heavy 8kg fmt108 called a hoodlum i hopes this info is helpful cheers

Guest big lizard

Pacific composite Snarr 8ft if you want the best rod, we have the 10ft blanks available @ Tackle World Ohalloran hill, the 8ft extended blanks were the best though....But the 10fters are way better than snyder glas...

• 3 weeks later...