Kingy spinning combo

I had a look through the forum and couldn't find anything specific but by all means if this has been answered point me in the right direction. I'm headed to coffins in december and want to have a flick around for kingys with poppers, lures and large sp's. I have a tld25 for livebaiting for the bigger ones already but i want a spinning combo.I really have no idea what size is ideal as i'm not expecting to hook monster fish and don't want to go too heavy. I'm thinking a 6000 or an 8000 sized reel spooled up with 30/50lb braid and no idea what rod. :huh: I will be flicking off the rocks (eg. the ledge) and out of the boat so i'm assuming one rod wont cover both as i might need something longer for the rocks.Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :woohoo:

daiwa sealine bull 4500 5.7 2 one ,15kg drag i think they sell for about $150 silstar 10 2 15kilo blue/ clear tip 7 ft(sorry cant recall the model number)saw one the other day at r an a had a large stripper guide and alps h/d winch just right for spinning about $130 or if thats to big have a look at daiwa exceler oceana 4500j 4.9 15kg drag holds 400mtrs of 30lb braid $200 plus .I think matched to any good quality 10 2 15 kg 7 ft rod should do . I do prefer little bit longer rod of rocks but u should be able to get away with 7ft ( i found it very hard to find 8ft extra heavy duty rod 15 2 24 kg of the rack ).Saw some 670 sabres done as spinning rods but cost about $400 . hope this helps cheers :)

• 1 month later...

So I'm still undecided as to what size reel i'm going to get. I've decided on the Shimano Bluewater 10-15kg spin stick, I had a feel in the shop and I like it. But I really need someone's opinion on whether I should go the 6000 or the 8000 for my reel.I'm going to be breaking it in at coffin bay and don't want to be undergunned. As i've mentioned it's for flicking poppers landbased so do i need the extra line capacity or will the 6000 do?I've been sniffing around google looking everywhere to find an answer but I can't find anything helpful. Need help lads!Cheers

statequider there is a new range of shimano rods called revolution, they are the model below the blue water. 1 have been told they use the exact same blanks but use zinc guides instead of the fuji guides. i know the exact same rod you are after (because i also like it :laugh: ) and there is the exact same model in the revolution for $100 less.. ($219 i have seen it for) just another idea mate.also with the reel, id say a 8000. which reel are you looking at getting? the best thing is to grab the rod and stick it together with a 6000 reel and see how she feels and then do the same with the 8000 reel.

I think i'd rather have the rod i've chosen as it's made from better quality components and the fish i'll hopefully catch should test this.I'm still undecided on the reel. At the moment it is going to be a stradic but I will probably change my mind closer to the date of purchase and upgrade to something better :) Not sure on the line yet... I reckon 30lb braid should do the job so the 6000 is probably the better option. I'm just unsure as it's only the spool size that is different so is it worth having an extra 30-40m of braid...

• 2 weeks later...

Id go the 50lb as well. If u are looking at shimano sizing i would opt for the 8000 over the 6000. The extra line capacity doesnt come with extra reel weight. For some reason the specs show that the 6000 sizes are heavier than the 8000 in a lot of models!! I know it was like that with my stradicI reckon the bit bigger reel might save chasing a king all over the bay

Looking at something similar at the moment for average sized models and to double as a poppering/chromie rod for gt's and queenies when I head over to Townsville in jan. At the moment it's looking like a Straddy 8000 and a tescata, unless I can stretch the budget. As far as the 6000/8000 goes its a no brainer to me, bigger line cap and same size body.The tescatas seem to have a good following in the us, any input from dudes that have used them, or chase kings on spin gear here would be sweet though!

Cool mate. This is why i love these forums, team work gets shit sorted!!That clip can be bent so that it has enough pressure to stay where its meant to be. Its hard and springy though.To me it seems to be a strange way to to the job,but im no guruGuess we betta stop with the hijack on this thread :whistle: :laugh: