Spin set up for surf mullies

i got a wilson 10'8 4120 surf rod and an daiwa emcast sport 6000 absoulutely love it cast great, feels light and its able to be used for many other uses (eg kingies and mullies off jetties etc) it cost me around 350 from memory from anglers choice and its spooled with 30lb mono... Best bang for buck i think...

They are a reel UHF.I have a Sensor in the 13 footer and its been really really good. Only main criticism is that its not the best for throwing larger baits, i.e whole squid or small salmonFor normal mully baits, i.e salmon fillets, squid heads/half tubes etc its fine. Fair overkill but its pretty light and fast actioned so sick for throwing big chromies at salmon as well.Reel wise one of the old model 950ss's would be sweet if you could find one (for mono anyway), otherwise if wanting to run braid have a suss of the spheroses, probs the best value in that bracket. Reckon crocka had one of each for sale on here cheap as... I would straight out grab that rod and the 1400fb and pimp the drag.

i personally think that the price is way over the top of the sensor and saltiga... i use my cheap> But good quality combo and have hooked salmon mullies and even draged the massive 100kg plus black ray that hangs around ardrossan no probs at all... its each to there own i guess. i would give you this advice, feel them all and buy what feels comfortable with you. i can get out further than alot of my mates that have spent 700-800 on surf gear and have hooked alot of fish.... At the end of the day its not the gear u have its ur knowledge and how to actually use th gear u got :) my 2 cents anyway mate. good luck.

i use a 12ft silstar rod with the 6500 baitrunner b i got fairly light for em in the surf still with 20lb fire line(love my fire line) i find that i get a way lot less wind knots n so fourth usin fire line compared with some briads ive managed too pull em to 60 lb so far on this setup but each to there own is what i say aslong your having fun n your in with a chance

Sounds like a great outfit Mully Madness.The 6500B Baitrunner would hold a hell of a lot of 20lb fireline, how much do you think you would have on yours. ie is it totally full of fireline or do you have some fireline with decent mono as backing on your reel?Nice work on your jewie to. :):):) Ive never caught a big jew so would love the advice.ie do you need a heap of line if fishing fairly light for the mullies?The one thing the fireline has going for it is its breaking at more than the 20lb rating.. :dry:

yeah you got me there it would take a rather s$#t load of fireline too spool it all ive got a couple of hundred mtres of 20lb maxima mono behind it ive got a small spool of fireline ontop of it so id say at the moment ive still got just over a 100 or so mtres of fireline left on it witch is more then enough to get a decent cast for a mully n still gives the minimal stretch so ya feel every tap from a little st too a 60lb mully. i also went with the fireline due to some advice from down at anglers as fireline is fused it doesnt have any gaps beteen the braids and from what i was told using braid alot in the surf it will end up with actual small grains of sand inside the braid itself. thats just something i was told n yet to have spoken too anyone else on this theory yet but i still love my fireline. its the only time ill buy anything for myself thats fluoro pink and can be seen in public with it :laugh:

yer i guess i depends on what you want to throw weight wise and bait wise theres heaps of gear out there for the job most as good as the next just depends on how much you want to spend.i still hav my first surf rod silstar 11'6" mid winch and have fihed it with a baitrunner6500 its ideal for the surf hard as nails but have had a couple of 13 ft and a 13'6" coorong special built that can throw whole trout and 8oz a mile a real pelican stick.all food for thought.im with mully madness on this one

• 4 weeks later...