WADERS -- Dangerous or Not

I saw a photo of waders on a person on a boat and it bought back some not too happy memories(Sorry Rickster No Disrespect)I have a full size set and they have been sitting in the shed and only ever get brought out if im fishing Murray Backwaters on a freezing cold dayI have seen guys washed in at Browns Beach, West Cape, & Roystens Head and trust me it was touch and go getting these guys out the water. Once they fill up and get suction it is almost impossible to get them off.The guy at Browns was gone for all money and if wasn't for a quick thinking guy who dived in and cut up his waders with a knife to let the water flow through, he wouldn't be with us todayI still see guys wearing them wading in the shallows at local beaches when its calm and i cant see a major problem there but its the guys i see in surf beaches and near deep water that scare the crap out of me

Thats why Hornes and other wader companies recomend you should always get waders 2 sizes bigger than your shoe size ;)If you do happen to fall over (boat or surf fishing) you should be able to unclip the brace and kick afew times and your out ;)

I don't know about that mate as when wear the waders and in the water the pressure is against you, unless you go too far in then they would fill up and you would go down like a snapper sinker. If you were to fall overboard head first they would fill with air whilst you are upside down and would bob around like a float. So in iron site that is why if i wore waders not that i do this often is why i wear just the leg type but do not clip the strap onto a belt or belt loops. Or as 4THALOVE has stated a big pair of welly boots. :boot::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This is only my view whether this way of thinking is correct or not i do not know, maybe someone has another view they could share with us.:clap: :clap: :clap:

if u wear waders in a boat UR A BLOODY IDIOT even if they are 2 sizes too big if u go over the side ur dead ...surf fishing also very dangerous if u fall over and get dragged out(which u will in big surf) ur also dead..they are great for beach launching ur boat but once u have done that get them off...my dad lost a mate many years ago at pt clinton in 7 foot of water miss judged the dept :( ..rex hunt had a safty section on 1 of his vidioes talking through all the safty gear ect while sitting on the side of a boat moving with a pair of waders on BLOODY IDIOT

Anyone know who stocks the thigh waders, have been searching all over Adelaide for a pair & everyone all seems to have the chest type & that is it. Want a store that has a bit of a range as I have no idea what size I need.BTW - Will be using them on the beach & not in a boat, why you would want/need to do that puzzles me & is surely asking for trouble. Have come close to slipping over the side of the boat a couple of times now & could not imagine the fun of trying to get out of the water with waders on!:ohmy:

have worn waders just about forever, on the rocks.. NEVER on a rough salmon beach... i did have a pair that leaked.. and wading around in shallow water caused no problems... but when coming out, lugging 40kg of extra weight around is hard work.once launched the boat off a beach using a tractor.. used waders UNTIL i was on board, then they came off....your a long time dead....

How are those neoprene ones? Worth the extra money?

I reckon they're worth the extra $$$ I paid for mine.Most of my fishing is from the sands during winter,and haven't felt cold for the last decade or so.Mind you,they can be a chore to get on at times compared to the others......at my size,it's a bit like pushing a brick into a condom :ohmy: :laugh:;)

Hey ppl, imo need to be brain dead to wear them in the boat or on surf beaches,the air trapped in them will turn you upside down in seconds & it is nearly impossible to get yourself back to head up position,tried it close to shore in 5 feet of water to prove it to a mate who wouldn`t be told that if he was coming out with me he would not be wearing them. If you have to wear them the only chance you`ve got is to instantly pull your knees up to your chest,grab your knees & stay in that pos`n until rescued. This stops water from trapping air in the bottom as water rushes in & keeps you from becoming inverted, but MUST BE DONE IMMEDIATELY YOU FALL IN Cheers all.

nowadays i just bung on a pair of crocs and go for it-even in winter. Looks odd but hey it works for me ;)

You're a tough bugga Spoggy!!! :) I used to launch my old stefcraft at the free ramp at outer harbour onthe middle of winter to head out after whiting or just the STs off the breakwater.You have to get IN the water there to get in the boat, and I can tell you, some mornings that water is so cold it physically HuRTS. I started wearing waders to do this and My god it was better :)But yeah, I would take em off before getting underway.I have roamed miles in crocs, they are great I reckon, but still, wading is still very much a summerthing for me. @Spoggy I imagine you must be one of the die hards out at st Kilda like me when the STs are on??? I see plenty of the guys waist deep out there. I've been so cold there that the breeze has turned half my face numb and I can't feel my lips lol...... So like I said, your a tough bugga wading around in crocs :) maybe I'll have a coupla tea spoons of cement in my coffee this July and come join ya.....@Rickster, I was covered in mozzie spray last night (tropical strength aerogaurd) and it didnt do shit!!!! If the mozzies dont bite through waders... Then I want a full three piece suit made out of the stuff..... I've had Ross river fever before, so I have an intense hatred of the blood sucking little bastards :evil: Tight lines lines

for surf beaches over the west coast, light track suit pants, and thin t shirt.. normally not too cold, as your up and down the beach running away from the waves crashing in.. soon warms you up... and i wear shoes... a broken beer bottle which became exposed , but thankfully seen before doing any damage,means i wear shoes now...

use waders almost everywhere - if you're careful I don't see any reason to be particularly concernedUse them at browns, waitpinga and similar beaches - wear a big spray jacket over the top - only ever go in about thigh deep at the most - its really just for keeping my feet/shins dry