Once in a Blue Moon

We all know the moon influences the tides and the fishing, plus the best times to fish are a new moon or a full moon.Tonight the moon is closer and brighter than it has been or is gonna be for umpteen years, so I've just been sitting back contemplating what effect tonights moon will have on the fishing.I'd be most interested in your thoughts, and I'd also like to hear from anyone who was out there tonight, and how you think the fishing compared.

My recent snapper catches have been spreadsheeted and results are showing that we are bagging out when the moon is plus or minus 30odd percent either side of a full or new moon.So the snapper are definately biting on full and new moon down south.I think tonight would be a great night to be out there.up until this year I had never even paid attention to the moon phase but now im keen to take note before planning the trip. :);) ;)

i dont have much success fishing during the night while there is a full moon and a clear sky, im only talking landbased by the way but i have though found that day time fishing is better during this time, and i usually do better during the day rather than the night .also the night before and after a full moon...i try to avoid.i rekon i do better 4 nights b4 the full or 4 nights after ....yall think im crazy ..i bet!

Went out for a fish with Moggy on this full moon, and fished either side of the high tide. Used all good quality and proven baits as we always use and did not even get a touch, not even a sniff on getting any livies in which we found to be very unusual.And also noticed all the boats out there around or near us were in the same situation. So i would be interested to hear whether this was the case for anyone else.I also agree with Brenton, that i too have had some good Mully sessions on a full moon.Still trying to get over how extraordinary quiet this fishing session was, and believe this moon had a great impact on the fishing. :ohmy:

I went out with my little boy yesterday arvo. We went to my best bream spot for this season. It also happens to be the most kid friendly spot.My 5 year old had an awesome time paddling around, playing cars and going on the playground.I should've just spent the whole time playing cars with him because the fishing was woeful :(A couple of people came and went for not even an undersized bream.I had my favourite bait and it was barely touched. We stopped off and returned most of the little crabs to where they came from.First time in about 6 visits that I didn't capture at least one legal Bream.So I'm using this moon as my excuse and I'm stickin to it :P

Great Topic Ranger :clap: The moon definiteley has appeared that bit brighter to me, especially last night before the cloud moved in. You have to wonder if it's proximity has had some affect on the tectonic plates too :S :pinch: I hadnt planned a trip, but then when talking to a neighbour about this topic, we both thought it may be an all or nothing type scenario with the fish, so made a very late , last minute decision for a look around out there.Ourt first stop produced zippo, and shortly after that we moved another 5 ks or so out to sea, and had a good showing on the sounder over a ledge :clap: Lines were quickly sent out, and not long after we started pulling in almost legal snapper. :boot: After a half hour or so of this, it seemed we werent achieving anything apart from stressing the little fellas out, so we headed for another ground.This time the sounder showed virtually flat bottom, with no obvious fish signals coming up, but we decided to give the area a crack by drifting it.Soon enough we had more bites hammering up our lines, mainly from more undersize ruggers, but by the end of the night we managed a couple of KGs and a bag of legals, and I got to christen the new Tekota ;) So overall for me, it was a pretty good night.:) :) :fishing: Once I get to wake up, I';ll get some Pics up :)Pity I missed you Firefly the chop was just that bit big down my way to make the run easy enough :(

Great Topic Ranger :clap: You have to wonder if it's proximity has had some affect on the tectonic plates too :S :pinch:

Funny enough you said that, i was reading something the other day about and it apparentlythe ocean doesn't weigh as much with the moon being soo close thus meaning less weight on the plates, Not sure of its credibility though..I'm pretty glad i took someone out last night and blowing abit of cash instead of goin fishing, Probably would have been luckier fishing though:pinch:
Went out for a fish with Moggy on this full moon' date=' and fished either side of the high tide. Used all good quality and proven baits as we always use and did not even get a touch, not even a sniff on getting any livies in which we found to be very unusual.And also noticed all the boats out there around or near us were in the same situation. So i would be interested to hear whether this was the case for anyone else.I also agree with Brenton, that i too have had some good Mully sessions on a full moon.Still trying to get over how extraordinary quiet this fishing session was, and believe this moon had a great impact on the fishing. :ohmy:[/quote']Thanks for a good evening Rick, Yea that would have to be the first time that I can remember, not catching one single fish, not alone a bite. :boot: I just checked my dairy, the snapper and whiting catches were mostly caught on the last quarter. :fishing: My turn next, thanks again :boat:

One thing i have noticed is that the super moons are closely tied to river murray floods and other natural phenomenon. Super moon 1955' date=' 1974, 1992, 2005, 2011

Supermoons, in fact, have a historical association with strong storms, very high tides, extreme tides and also earthquakes,

Those stats are spookily spot on Weavs. cheers brenton

was planning on an early sun morning session on semmy jetty.so went for a walk on semmy jetty last night to check out the crabbing action.just after high tide, and net after net, nothing. no action from the rods either :( was an eerie feeling. bugger all boats out in the vicinity even though it was a beautiful night.the lines were all taught heading south with the strong tidal movement.I was puzzled by the lack of action, but couldn't explain it. :unsure: :unsure:

Bit off topic here, but my other 1/2s mother's a nurse, and they DO get an influx of injuries and incidents caused by people being a bit nuttier than normal :whistle: :pinch: :silly:

bugger all boats out in the vicinity even though it was a beautiful night.

Definitely was CN :) WB ramp only had 2 other trailers there at 1030 last night, very surprising !
Hasn't affected my fishing at all' date=' I still catch nothing :unsure: good subject though[/quote']Took the boat out this morning to test the moons affect and you wouldn't believe it....I caught 2 Port Jacksons, 2 slimey macks and 1 flat head. Thats an improvement of 500% :huh: as a result I have decided to move to the planet Saturn, can't go wrong with 18 moons :P ,Will need a fishing journal with bigger pages though