what fish is this???

With those spots it looks like a jade perch to me.Posted ImageThats a picture of a jade perch vs a silver perch. Jade perch has the spots.Jade Perch is a fancy name for Barcoo grunter.Could be a Leathery Grunter:Posted ImageSimilar in appearance. But Leatheries are regarded as a very poor eating fish while jape perch are rated quite highly.Both are native to Queensland and Jade Perch is becoming a very popular aquaculture species across Australia due to their diet, behavior, growth rates and eating qualities (including the highest Omega 3 levels of all fish tested, nearly 3 times that of salmon). They don't do too well in cool waters though, whereabouts is the carp pond where it was caught? Might have been a dumped culture fish from someones backyard pond system.

Surely a jade perch would have the signature jade coloring???... Hence the name.@Sbarden, that leathery pic is very good... But it would certainly be rare to get one down here... And in such good condition.I call it for a silver perch, but to be honest I thought those spots were just mud or something till Sbarden pointed them out, so that's the only thing that has me doubting. I would be interested to know whether the fish was released and isn't as dead as it appears :dry:

Both are native to Queensland and Jade Perch is becoming a very popular aquaculture species across Australia due to their diet' date=' behavior, growth rates and eating qualities (including the highest Omega 3 levels of all fish tested, nearly 3 times that of salmon). They don't do too well in cool waters though, whereabouts is the carp pond where it was caught? Might have been a dumped culture fish from someones backyard pond system.[/quote']The Omega 3 contents of Jade Perch seem incredible and almost unbelievable. Most of the references on aquaculture sites to the Omega 3 content of Jade Perch were unreferenced or mentioned the initial CSIRO study in 1998 (which to my knowledge did not look at Jade Perch).http://www.ecosmagazine.com/?act=view_file&file_id=EC97p3.pdfAfter alot of searching I have finally found the study published in 2002 which shows Jade Perch (farmed and protein fed) have the highest omega 3 content of any commercial fish measured to date.http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2045631
Since it wasn't caught in QLD or NT and looks like a silver perch thats had a slight infection' date=' I'll call it for a silver perch :)[/quote']Yeah good call mate, they aren't spots, looks like some kind of past necrosis from an infection as you say which would make sense if it's from a feral carp area with stagnant mud full of bacteria.My concern is the legal question of whether it was released???
Since it wasn't caught in QLD or NT and looks like a silver perch thats had a slight infection' date=' I'll call it for a silver perch :)[/quote']Yeah good call mate' date=' they aren't spots, looks like some kind of past necrosis from an infection as you say which would make sense if it's from a feral carp area with stagnant mud full of bacteria.My concern is the legal question of whether it was released???[/quote']I wouldn't get too fussed or bogged down on the issue of whether it was released or not.Best not to victimize the fella for posting the photo in the first place.

My concern would be if it isn't a silver perch but is an illegal exotic release of some form of grunter, be it leathery, sooty or jade perch (Barcoo grunter) from a private aquarium or aquaculture tank.Wouldn't be able to survive too long or breed in our cold waters but would be worrying that someone is happy with dumping their aquarium or tank fish somewhere.Might be worth seeing is some of the fish identification experts at PIRSA are able to identify it. You could call the FISHWATCH number (1800 065 522) and see if they have an email address you could forward the picture to.

yea i read somewhere fish can get them black spots from catch and release?? but i don't no if that's true or not

yeah mate they can be caused by rough handling, it only takes a finger to wipe away some protective slime or a scale and the fish is open to infection, ulcers etc as mentioned by jack if was out of poor quality water that heightens the chances of those types of infections occuring. The spots are also very common in intensively farmed silvers where they are kept in high densities and get knocked around by eachother.cheers

Ok then cheers for that yeah the water that fish came out of its feral haha wouldn't be eating anything near or around that pond but i have seen people take yabbies and carp from there hope they have a strong stomach because that water in there is gross!! i think that fish was a 1 off in there? haven't seen any others come up yet!

I wouldn't get too fussed or bogged down on the issue of whether it was released or not.Best not to victimize the fella for posting the photo in the first place.

You know what? When this post first went up I freaked out abit thinking wow this guy just put up a Pic of a dead silver!!Not really a great look for the site especially with PiRSA on board.... but I was wrong, the fish was released, and it has actually been a pretty cool little post with suggestions of jade perch etc. As far as victimizing the poster, I will be the first to say sorry if my posts came accross that way... :blush: So... sorry jewiehunter and cheers for sharing that interesting catch :)

at first glance i wouldve said bream if i didn't know it was caught fresh! i think it looks like a silver or jade perch but remember the ponds are only a hop, onk slip and a jump away someone might have thrown it in not knowing the ponds were fresh! How long does bream last in fresh?