The tales of the one/s that Got Away

this has been on my mind all this week, think about it every day but this week stand out so much more. 2 years ago this week. i wandered down to my favorite jetty in search for snapper. fished the morning tide got there at 5am.and stocked up on fresh bait dead and live.no snapper to bee seen except little pickers destroying the dead baits.about 9 0clok came and i decided to wind in my bait rod to check if there was still baits on the hooks,when all of a suddenmy rid was getting smashed all the way up as i was winding it, then to there surface. to me surprise there was 5 30lb yellow tail torpedo's smashing my sinker.i was in the mode now, nothing else mated in world i was no going home till i got one of those massive beast.i have seen man hoodlums in the last few years of fishing but these were by far the biggest and craziest most amazing looking fish.changed the rig over to single octopus circle 8/0 unweighted rig and caught a fresh mackerel, it was the size i wanted as i wanted one about 20cm, but all i could get was 30cm plus ones. so i opted to use the biggish mackerel and send it down on my tld50.praying to god they would come back and be hungry.i constantly sat over the edge watching the water as my mackerel swam side to side round in circles for at least a hour, regularly catching fresh mackerel and put new ones on the hook.always when your not ready , from under the jetty my eyes could not even keep one. they did not even suss out the mackerel it was if they had not eaten in one year, one swallowed the mackerel hole, i striked and was on. hard pounding crazy adrenalin kicking in, this was the land based fish of a life time.the force of this beast on my tld50 was crazy my drag was set right and correct and it was going that hard it didn't even seem like the tld was coping. it swam out too sea and did a massive head turn to the right. when all of a sudden line goes slack :angry: i was going F^*&(% ballistic as to what happened, what a load of crap.. wound in the line to see my gamakatsu octopus circle from its J shape had been turned in to now a " L " ... i was speech less Pd-0ff and :angry: this one the tale of the ONE THAT GOT AWAY STILL HEART BROKEN NEVER EVER WILL FORGET ITThats my story, so thought i would make a post like this to hear about other fellow fishers stories of the ones that got away. hope you enjoy the read look forward to hearing your own stories

she was my high school sweet heart Branzino we were young and innocent and she moved interstate :blush::huh: oops sorry mine would have to be an unsighted fish off Port Victoria jetty had my charter spec set in free spool ratchet on and a slither of silver whiting on got walloped at a rate of knots set tha hooks let it peel drag then started winning back a bit of line and kapow nothin bust off didnt get to see color or anything,either bit through/broke 60lb mono leader tried plenty of times after that only to catch doggies & Rays but this didnt seem like any Ray :( great topic bloke B)cheers 4THA

This has been my week,Hooked a decent LB schoolie and straightened both sets of trebles at my feet,Hooked my best LB bream on HB in heavy structure and again straightened both sets of trebles,Hooked the biggest jumping mullet i have ever seen,it screamed off for about 15 metres under heavy drag and came back towards me screamed off again then pulled the hooks....cripes those things can go.I reckon i'm due for a change of luck. cheers brenton

This has been my week' date='Hooked a decent LB schoolie and straightened both sets of trebles at my feet,Hooked my best LB bream on HB in heavy structure and again straightened both sets of trebles,Hooked the biggest jumping mullet i have ever seen,it screamed off for about 15 metres under heavy drag and came back towards me screamed off again then pulled the hooks....cripes those things can go.I reckon i'm due for a change of luck. cheers brenton[/quote']Just this last two week I have lost three eagle rays. First one was a big one and I had my medium rod out for a schoolie, 4-6k with 10lb braid and a 20lb fluro trace... Didn't really mind. Then lost a huge smooth ray.... A bit annoyed about this as the first I'd bothered trying to catch once I hooked it. Then as a result of not changing my line, I lost a fish I've been going on about all week.... My first real fair dinkum shot at a big port Mulloway.... hope I ge a re match soon, cos that was soooo painful :(Then out of live baits, I through out a slab of salmon fillet and hooked a average eagle ray.... Sick of bust offs I upped the anchor and chased it down only 30mins after re tying from my Mulloway bust.... And yeah same deal, busted off :(Now I'm not fussed about the rays, but with the jewfish, it just seems like I can't win.... Mega frustrating... I'm re spooling, re thinking my terminal tackle and getting back onthe horse for another run.... I think that's all you can do.... But one things for sure, no matter how many fish you catch in the furure, the one that got away is gone foooor good ;)

I recently went over to WA to visit a mate. We went to a place about 200km below broome to camp and fish for the night at a small inlet similar size to the onk, caught heaps of threadies and bream when decided to chuck out a whole whiting live bait. after about half an hour it got smashed hard and line started peeling like nothing i have ever witnessed, was defiantly a fish as it was head shaking like mad. What ever it was headed fast towards the oyster beds on the edge of the mangroves I frantically climed the mangroves over oyster beds to try and land this monster. Then the enevitable happened and whatever it was made it to the oyster bed and snapped me off :( . within about 5 minutes this thing peeled of at least 150m of line with some heavy drag. Ive caught a 25kg tuna before and what ever this was pulled 10 times harder. hardest thing about it is not knowing what it was.

:( Was at Nangiloc in Vic... bait fishing with a 100mm Yabbie and my rod flew out of the boat as I saw the handle disappear I bailed Clothes , Smokes , Phone nothing mattered but my $400 Pfleuger ... and a big fish...Just caught the handle by luck Swam to the surface and handed the Rod to me mate..He had the best fun playing this fish telling me that it was a monster while I was trying to get back in the boat ...Finally back in the boat ... Rod back in my hands ... Play for a min Tops see a big paddle tail swirl and SNAP bloody SWIVEL ... METAL SWIVEL ... :angry: I got to see the tail AWSOME :woohoo: Wish I could have been wet to take a pic of me and that monster ...this is not a happy topic :( :vomit: shame on you for making us relive these times of SADNESS :laugh::clap: :laugh:Condolences on all Fishermen Who have suffered a loss such as mine. Cheers CS - (not C arp S layer )
This has been my week' date='Hooked a decent LB schoolie and straightened both sets of trebles at my feet,Hooked my best LB bream on HB in heavy structure and again straightened both sets of trebles,Hooked the biggest jumping mullet i have ever seen,it screamed off for about 15 metres under heavy drag and came back towards me screamed off again then pulled the hooks....cripes those things can go.I reckon i'm due for a change of luck. cheers brenton[/quote']a change of luck... and brand of trebles used ;)
This has been my week' date='Hooked a decent LB schoolie and straightened both sets of trebles at my feet,Hooked my best LB bream on HB in heavy structure and again straightened both sets of trebles,Hooked the biggest jumping mullet i have ever seen,it screamed off for about 15 metres under heavy drag and came back towards me screamed off again then pulled the hooks....cripes those things can go.I reckon i'm due for a change of luck. cheers brenton[/quote']Hey brenton judging by what has happened to you not a change of luck more like a change in the brand of trebles youre using.
This has been my week' date='Hooked a decent LB schoolie and straightened both sets of trebles at my feet' date='Hooked my best LB bream on HB in heavy structure and again straightened both sets of trebles,Hooked the biggest jumping mullet i have ever seen,it screamed off for about 15 metres under heavy drag and came back towards me screamed off again then pulled the hooks....cripes those things can go.I reckon i'm due for a change of luck. cheers brenton[/quote'']a change of luck... and brand of trebles used ;)
I wish it was a simple as that,the schoolie was on Daichi ST 36,the bream was on Vanfooks and the big jumper was on decoys......they didn't straighten though. cheers brenton

just bad luck from the sounds of it... my one that got away..Coffin bay king fish on 8lb line. fishing for garfish with a pencil float when i hooked up to a nice gardy... while winding it in a school of big kings came through.. Garfish on my line was going mental as they do.. kingy just swallowed him.. and i got spooled while laughing my arse off looking at my lil shimano solstice 1000 go backwards faster than it had ever before..

• 2 weeks later...

Lol Branzino, Same thing happened to me around two years ago too... fishing off Port Vic Jetty all night for a few snook and gar. In the morning I saw a school of around five to six kingfish which looked to be close to a metre each.Anyway (to be honest I had been hoping to see them and kept my garfish live for over four hours previous) so on went the first gar and into the water. For half an hour I got nothing till the school came out of nowhere, one came up and sucked the 35cm + gar like it was nothing and it was on... Nice fight for about 3 minutes when the fish decides to do a U turn and straight for the pylons. Adrenalin kicked in and in went a second gar... this one only lasted a few seconds and the fish snapped off the pylons again.. Last shot and with the hope of being third time lucky I cast in the last gar. For another hour there was nothing but around 9 AM they came around for the last time... exactly same thing happened.Since then I have not seen any Kingfish from the jetty... pretty sad really :(:(

When I was a bit younger and still in school we went on a trip to Wreck Beach in Sleaford Bay chasing big sambos in the surf. It was early morning when we got there and there were some brilliant looking gutters which looked like they would produce some big fish.Since it was a school trip, we were using the schools fishing gear. After being busted off by two big salmon I got the cranks with my teacher and got him to give me a different reel, since the one I started with was sloppy and the line was old. It was on after that with plenty of big 2 - 3kg fish coming in all up the beach. Suddenly my line took off screaming. I was unprepared for a big run, busy joking with my classmates but I set the hook in time and started the fight. After about 5 minutes and with the rest of the class gathered around we all saw the flash of a big surf Mulloway, side on in the wave. Unfortunately that was the last we saw of it as a few seconds later cheap school tackle gave in and he busted me off.It was a bloody good fish, easily the biggest I've ever been connected to and the teacher and I estimated it to be about 40lb from the glimpse we got in the wave. I finished the day with six salmon over the 2kg mark and the biggest fish of the day at 4kg, but I will always remember the big Mulloway that got away.