I need a bigger esky !

Had the opportunity to go for a fish the other morning with Big Red and Urhookedfish, I jumped at the chance to get out in a boat again. This session we were going to target Snapper, can't imagine BR and UHF going for anything else :laugh:Hit the ramp at 4am and headed out, on the way out I started seeing little glowing things in the what wash of the boat, I said "Hey Brett there's a lot of lice around!" Brett's response was something along the lines of "ahhh :c "Got to the drop, I was actually feeling a little green and slipped a Kwell, didn't say anything to the guys, had to act tough B) and out went our lines. No bites, hmm weird, reel in the bait has been disintegrated. :c :c :c :c :c BR moved the boat into a better position and we tried again. From this point on my recollection of events get's a little hazy, so order of things is probably a bit out of whack.BR and Uhf had gotten bites and been snapped off, I sat there not expecting much and if I did get a bite, thought it would be rugger, if I was lucky. My rod loaded up, I thought Ooohhh crap my rig has moved and I'm snagged, I started to reel a bit, hmmm not snagged BANG BANG, I'M ON!!! :woohoo: Reeling in nearly ripping my arms off, Uhf loosened my drag a touch, Bang bang ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wind, wind, wind zzz, zzz, zzz, started to see colour, then it was netted. Wow I just landed my first legal red, it measured 96cm :woohoo: :clap: later on it weighed in at 9.1kg I must say I am pretty damn happy with my first red.WP_000396.jpgNow a quote from Uhf... "Uhf and Big Red dicked around missing runs and tangling each other until finally getting their shite together"Big Red landed a very nice stonker, his first metro Red, well done mate :clap: followed by another by me :woohoo: couldn't believe I'd caught another. by this stage as happy as Uhf was for me and Big Red, I reckon he would have been a little irritated. Zzz Zzz Zzz, he's on... oh what a nice 20cm specimen it was :laugh: :whistle: We fished on with guess who hook up to another awesome fish :woohoo: I couldn't believe the power these monsters had, very impressive!Uhf catching another fine 20cm specimen :blush: , then BAM BAM! Finally Uhf hooked up or "started to pull his weight" as Big Red said :laugh: pulling in a great fish :clap:WP_000403.jpgAt one point I watched Uhf's T-Curve almost bend in half, he ran to grab his rod which was well and truly stuck in the rod holder, he grabbed it out and started a more casual retrieve, landing once again a very nice fish.WP_000407.jpgWP_000416.jpgAll fish were measured and a bunch of them tagged and released, very cool to see a fish that big swim off to see another day.WP_000419.jpgNow that the sun was up the Snapper had slowed and we went after a couple of Maks, we weren't too concerned if we didn't catch anything we were quite content with our mornings haul.We headed back in and transferred a couple of the Snapper we kept into my esky :blink: as a guy drove past he yelled out, "Ya gonna need a bigger esky boys!"WP_000424.jpgI must say a big thank you to Big Red and Uhf for inviting me to come along. I had a great time and am now severely addicted to Snapper fishing.WP_000425.jpgI'll finish with a video with a few of our catches and releases. I have to issue a strong language warning due to mainly Uhf's potty mouth :lol:

Oh man I was swearing my head off and f$#@@n lovin it - Im The master of double standards..LOL :evil: :laugh:By the way BIGRED your boat is a RED Magnet. When you said you paint it in tuna oil before you leave the ramp nearly made me choke on my sandwhich.Boy was that an insanely fun day out with you two characters...hahahaI did notice the video saying 6kg - 9kg, but on the scales the smallest fish was 7kilo. Will weight for Big Reds confirmation though..lol :d/:d/

It doesnt get much better than that guys B) :woohoo: :clap::clap: UHF with a Potty Mouth :huh: Gordon Ramsey has nothing on him :P , reckon I counted five :c 's in the first sentence :whistle: :laugh::laugh:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEiQ2sIQuOs

I refuse to watch this video on the basis of it possibly causing me a severe case of Jealousitis :pinch: :whistle:

what a cracking way to get your first big red bjorn those sessions sure do put the whole scheme of being addicted to fishing in perspective B) you will jump at every opportunity that comes your way now, wanting to get that feeling back sure you will have doughnut sessions like we all do but when ya get those mental every bait gets smashed sessions you can barely explain to people it makes the big zero sessions all tha more sweeter congrats and enjoy your feed and well done on big red & uhf for takin ya out cheers for the pics, vid and report 4THA

sounds like a great :c sesh. some nice :c fish. :c :c :c :c :c nothing better than feeling that first head shake of a solid :c red especially your :c first. sorry bout the language been hanging around that :c UHF bloke :silly: :silly: :laugh::laugh:

Think he's been watching way too much Hells Kitchen and getting influenced by Chef Ramsay :laugh:
stella experience' date=' but doubt that you & your team will see many of those tagged fish recaptured. Bouncing off the floor, placed on dry brag mats, & not a wet towel in sight. Great idea in theory but in practice........... more thought dear sirs[/quote']Thanks LB, you have definately inspired me to get the process more refined for next time.My thoughts though are that I dont feel that a wet brag mat was going to be the difference in these fish's survival rate, as it was early morning/night and the brag mat was not hot at all, and yes I understand the wetting it down is to stop the removal of slime, but I dont think much slime was removed by a non hot brag mat. ie like it would be on a hot day with sun shining on it and in need of wetting. If we do get any captures in the heat of the day, we will be sure to wet the brag mat down. I do love the wet towel idea, and we will employ the wet towel for all tagging from this point on!. Out of the six fish we caught one fish did kick like a mule which I feel is not too bad considering the size and power of these fish and the only reason it was held off the deck is to not spook the school off below the boat by tail slapping and banging loudly on the deck. Hopefully your wet towell method will stop that happening in future though. :clap: I do agree that we do have definate room for improvement and this can be achieved by implementing some of the techniques you have mentioned. Cheers for the criticism, we will take it on board for sure as its food for thought and we are always willing to listen and learn. :clap::clap: Brett

some great fish there guys but i have to agree with Landbased_Angler also to add you want to get the tag to lock behind 1 of the spines so go from the back of the fish towards the head and in at an angle so it locks in and cant be pulled out by the fish rubbing on rocks/sand etc.. there are plenty of videos on the net of how to get them to lock in.

stella experience' date=' but doubt that you & your team will see many of those tagged fish recaptured. Bouncing off the floor, placed on dry brag mats, & not a wet towel in sight. Great idea in theory but in practice........... more thought dear sirs[/quote'] :laugh::laugh::laugh: Shoot em down newcomer.. may hap you could put up a vid showing how it should be done .Thanks for the vid guys..... :c Awsome stuff and great report :clap: :c Love it Cheers from the Chief ;)Oh yeah .... more thought :P

I truley appreciate your point LB, and in no way do I see this as any form of personal attack at all on any of us anglers and see it only as constructive criticism. It appears to me that you have great passion also for the species and that is fantastic to say the least!! :d/:d/:d/ However, I can assure you that the two tagged fish swam off strongly. In regards to snapper recaptures SART has had one of its fish re-captured as soon as 5days after initial capture, proving that not only does tagging of Snapper work but the fish can be feeding again within as little as a few days even in the same location. I also know of another angler that has tagged 10fish in Ardrossan and out of those fish has had two fish captured by Pro's and they have rung them in. So fish are surviving quite well IMO. :clap::d/:d/:d/:d/ Signing a death warrant for the fish is putting it in the esky and taking it home. We make sure all fish swim off strongly and if it doesnt look like there going to do so then they get taken for the table.

Yeah I realise it was constructive critisism, and I am all for looking after fish that are not going to the table.I myself wont take a big murray cod out of the water for a pic Just that there was no ...Good effort guys ... thanks for sharing.. just the costructive critisism.Might just be anough that people get scared into not bothering posting vids...Sorry if I caused stress but pms are also a great tool .Anyway Sorry guys for the negatives I may have caused .

Yeah I realise it was constructive critisism' date=' and I am all for looking after fish that are not going to the table.I myself wont take a big murray cod out of the water for a pic Just that there was no ...Good effort guys ... thanks for sharing.. just the costructive critisism.Might just be anough that people get scared into not bothering posting vids...Sorry if I caused stress but pms are also a great tool .Anyway Sorry guys for the negatives I may have caused .[/quote'] :clap: All good Chief. no harm done - infact well said. :clap: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Got to keep people happy and posting up reports for others to see. I know that seeing other reports of BIG MULLIES and Big SNAPPER gets me majorly fired up and mega Inspired! :d/ God I love this site. :d/Infact I still have a rock red to land..LOL :blush::blush:

Although im relatively happy with the footage taken on Bjorns Phone effectively, its inspiring me to get a decent handycam or Go-PRO. Although my novice camera work could use some improvement as well.Still when that many big fish are coming one after the other, it gives you no time to stay cool, remain calm and get yourself ready for what you need to do next.Ie its pandemonium in sessions like THAT!Those un-expected Blow out sessions ON THE BIG REDS are what give me A MASSIVE RUSH ! :d/:d/:d/

Shoot them down you say???Cant see the point of tagging & releasing if all you are doing is signing the death warrant. Its no different to the bad old days of slaughtering them & seeing them piled at the dump. Not to mention a waste of time as your efforts will be for naught! Commendable thoughts but pointless if not done properly. The last time I checked' date=' tagging was not so much to make one feel better about being out there catching, but more a tool for measuring & charting growth rates, movements, & perhaps to lesser extent population. As for a video showing how. I know that there is plenty written about the subject, and that a search of youtube will probably bring something up also. If in doubt, I would suggest the group contact the source of the tags for an educational tutorial of how it should be done to increase the chance of survival. It would also be interesting to know what percentage of tagged snapper both from this or any other group are recaught as this may actually show whether the whole process, in regard to snapper, is flawed.Finally, before I'm accused again of shooting down or perhaps being predjudice to one group only, I understand a similar task was undertaken in regard to bream a year or so ago. As far as I can see, or find, there have been no recaptures from that sample & thus no information gained from the process. From what I can ascertain, the fish were held, in some cases for many hours, in live wells rather than tagged & released. This would have to place a lot of stress on the fish and whilst they all supposedly swum away seemingly quite healthily, who knows what happened to them after that. I find it hard to believe that they all simply left the system.Again, tagging is a great tool, but pointless if not dome properly[/quote']sorry to bring this up again UHF but what LBA has written here opened my eyes up a bit as to the releasing process as we normally bring them on board un hook and send them back without considering using wet towel etc, so as much as it may have been a criticsm its gunna make me think about how we go about it next time as i know yourself will do cheers 4THA
Shoot them down you say???Cant see the point of tagging & releasing if all you are doing is signing the death warrant. Its no different to the bad old days of slaughtering them & seeing them piled at the dump. Not to mention a waste of time as your efforts will be for naught! Commendable thoughts but pointless if not done properly. The last time I checked' date=' tagging was not so much to make one feel better about being out there catching' date=' but more a tool for measuring & charting growth rates, movements, & perhaps to lesser extent population. As for a video showing how. I know that there is plenty written about the subject, and that a search of youtube will probably bring something up also. If in doubt, I would suggest the group contact the source of the tags for an educational tutorial of how it should be done to increase the chance of survival. It would also be interesting to know what percentage of tagged snapper both from this or any other group are recaught as this may actually show whether the whole process, in regard to snapper, is flawed.Finally, before I'm accused again of shooting down or perhaps being predjudice to one group only, I understand a similar task was undertaken in regard to bream a year or so ago. As far as I can see, or find, there have been no recaptures from that sample & thus no information gained from the process. From what I can ascertain, the fish were held, in some cases for many hours, in live wells rather than tagged & released. This would have to place a lot of stress on the fish and whilst they all supposedly swum away seemingly quite healthily, who knows what happened to them after that. I find it hard to believe that they all simply left the system.Again, tagging is a great tool, but pointless if not dome properly[/quote'']sorry to bring this up again UHF but what LBA has written here opened my eyes up a bit as to the releasing process as we normally bring them on board un hook and send them back without considering using wet towel etc, so as much as it may have been a criticsm its gunna make me think about how we go about it next time as i know yourself will do cheers 4THA
Well said mate.Heres a link for anyone that has done there utmost to get there snapper in by taking it nice and easy but still finds its came up with a swollen/blown up swim bladder.Studies have shown that instead of spiking the swim bladder there is a better chance of survival if a release bomb is used.Heres a link - The Release Weight

Great session fellas :clap: I know.youse love them big :c fish and are doin yas best.Big respect to big red, you seem like a proper old school sea dog snapper fisho who is doin his best to preserve the stocks... My hats off to ya fella, bloody champ IMHO and your exploits make this site a better place (still not betta than being on the water but ;) )Congrats on the PB number one knobbie bjorn2.... Suddenly the overnight fishing sensation bud :clap:ALL of us can improve our catch and release skills.... and I can sure as hell improve my cooking skills aye :P

Great session fellas :clap: I know.youse love them big :c fish and are doin yas best.Big respect to big red' date=' you seem like a proper old school sea dog snapper fisho who is doin his best to preserve the stocks... My hats off to ya fella, bloody champ IMHO and your exploits make this site a better place (still not betta than being on the water but ;) )Congrats on the PB number one knobbie bjorn2.... Suddenly the overnight fishing sensation bud :clap:ALL of us can improve our catch and release skills.... and I can sure as hell improve my cooking skills aye :P[/quote']Yes he needs to change his forum name to Knobbie Hunter (LOL), but Ive got to say that although he appears to be an overnight sensation, he has definately put in the hard yards chasing Mr Snapper all be it from the rocks. Many many trips for a few hookups countless early morning ventures and this was to be the one that produced the goods for him and be the icing on the cake. These hookups he handled so well, in fact by far and away the best and calmest guy ive seen at landing his first big snapper. Even after watching the videos back, Im still blown away by his rod work.He really Made it look effortless and for a while he was totally flogging me and Bigred on the scoreboard! For a while I thought I just wasnt holding my tongue right or wasnt wearing my lucky hat. Or that my T-curve was jinxed, but later in the morning the two good reds I got proved that to be wrong..thank god. :clap: :clap:So again well deserved mate, I hope the memories stay with you for a life time.What a way to open your account on big fish! :woohoo: