Mulloway Food

We all know what fish will eat, since that's what we go back to for bait yeah.So anytime I get to take a fish, im always keen to see what else is in there. Garbage guts snapper can be full of all sorts, and last few I've taken for a feed have had plenty of crab in em ;)But I've only ever been involved in the taking of 3 mullies. First one had been eating prawn.Second had two whole salmon trout inside... Makes sense yeah, here's a pic of the partly digested STs that had been cookin in mully gut juices DSC_0394.JPGAnd now here's a picture of my mates fish from this mornings sesh... Well it's gut contents anyway :cheer: Maybe this Jewie was raised by a pack of wild snapper :laugh: poor little bluey wouldn't have known what hit it!screenshot_2012-10-20_1912.png

screenshot_2012-10-20_1913.png

I think they regularly eat sand crabs in the surf zone' date='no wonder a nice soft squid head is so tempting cheers brenton[/quote']And a squid head doesnt bite back either ! I think you're right about the sand crabs brenton.It could be interesting to dangle one off a dropper to kep it swimming, maybe minus its claws and held to a hook with a rubber band for whatever might eat it ?

Be interesting to see what the Onka fish have in there guts. Don't know if Jimbo has ever even taken a single one! ...but I can't get over how feral out Port fish are. Bit of purple and silver but with a brozie coffee stain to em... Jimbo's fish are all pure sparkling silver... Same as Sambomans Westlakes fish generally seem very clean and crisp silver... Maybe just sand living fish vs vs the Our feral dirt creek and industrial structure fish ? ;) they look heaps different though... And rarely beaten up and scarred either.... Must be a hard life being a port resident :cheer: :ohmy: And yeah, that crab looks a bit red from cookin in the juices, but geees that'd give you a belly ache :silly:

Heres one I pulled out of a schoolie ' date=' why I took a pic of it I dont know but here it is.[img']http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c97/scummm/100_1111Large.jpg[/img]

Cant find the one of my flathead with a chicken bone it ate ATM unfortunateley :S Hope you wiped the wifes kitchen bench off well afterwards Cal :whistle: :laugh:
That looks like a paver to me ya nit wit :P Love that gar pic... How the hell do they eat them whole with the bloody big jaw beak :silly: Reckon we fishos do a lot of finessing and stuff arsing about with bait when the fish are just gutsing bugga's anyway :laugh: and will try and eat anything :cheer:

Wasted so many baits feeding the crabs down at salt creek this weekend. All the gummies we pulled out had bellies full of sand crabs....so putting 2 and 2 together, cast out sand crabs on the hook, fish eat them and they won't get eaten by other crabs, i think?? win win? Just have to figure out how to catch a sandy in the surf :S

Be interesting to see what the Onka fish have in there guts. Don't know if Jimbo has ever even taken a single one! ...but I can't get over how feral out Port fish are. Bit of purple and silver but with a brozie coffee stain to em... Jimbo's fish are all pure sparkling silver... Same as Sambomans Westlakes fish generally seem very clean and crisp silver... Maybe just sand living fish vs vs the Our feral dirt creek and industrial structure fish ? ;) they look heaps different though... And rarely beaten up and scarred either.... Must be a hard life being a port resident :cheer: :ohmy: And yeah' date=' that crab looks a bit red from cookin in the juices, but geees that'd give you a belly ache :silly:[/quote']I have a feeling that all Mullies caught around the State bar the Far West Coast are of the same population Jack,with the West Coast fish seperate and localised to that area .A guy whos on this forum tagged a mulloway from the Birkenhead Bridge and it was recaptured right up the Onk ,above South Road bridge from memory, about 12 months later.Also there is documentation of 25 kilo + fish tagged at the Murray Mouth being recaptured in the Port River, pretty sure the recaptures of the big fish coincided with the bloodworm run,and visa versa fish tagged at the Port have been recaptured at the Mouth.Shows that they must have an inherited abilty to migrate to different areas based on availability of food sources.Also Murray Mouth fish have been recaptured in the Barwon Estuary in Victoria.The colours ect may be based upon the environment they are living in at the time,a Port fish that has moved to say a YP surf beach after a short while may go a nice clean silver for example.Cheers B)

Heres one I pulled out of a schoolie ' date=' why I took a pic of it I dont know but here it is.[img']http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c97/scummm/100_1111Large.jpg[/img]

Hope you wiped the wifes kitchen bench off well afterwards Cal :whistle: :laugh:
That looks like a paver to me ya nit wit :P
Looks more like a concrete step to me Jack :dry: :huh: Sportsmans bet 10$ ? :cheer:
Be interesting to see what the Onka fish have in there guts. Don't know if Jimbo has ever even taken a single one! ...but I can't get over how feral out Port fish are. Bit of purple and silver but with a brozie coffee stain to em... Jimbo's fish are all pure sparkling silver... Same as Sambomans Westlakes fish generally seem very clean and crisp silver... Maybe just sand living fish vs vs the Our feral dirt creek and industrial structure fish ? ;) they look heaps different though... And rarely beaten up and scarred either.... Must be a hard life being a port resident :cheer: :ohmy: And yeah' date=' that crab looks a bit red from cookin in the juices' date=' but geees that'd give you a belly ache :silly:[/quote'']I have a feeling that all Mullies caught around the State bar the Far West Coast are of the same population Jack,with the West Coast fish seperate and localised to that area .A guy whos on this forum tagged a mulloway from the Birkenhead Bridge and it was recaptured right up the Onk ,above South Road bridge from memory, about 12 months later.Also there is documentation of 25 kilo + fish tagged at the Murray Mouth being recaptured in the Port River, pretty sure the recaptures of the big fish coincided with the bloodworm run,and visa versa fish tagged at the Port have been recaptured at the Mouth.Shows that they must have an inherited abilty to migrate to different areas based on availability of food sources.Also Murray Mouth fish have been recaptured in the Barwon Estuary in Victoria.The colours ect may be based upon the environment they are living in at the time,a Port fish that has moved to say a YP surf beach after a short while may go a nice clean silver for example.Cheers B)
Thanks mate, that is very interesting.Really highlights why im so keen to get a heap of tags in this summer. Would be terrific to have the feedback on recaptures! What you are saying makes alot of sense and it's not really that far to travel (mouth-onk-port) for good food supply.Cheers