No fishing to half of Glenelg Jetty

Even though all jetties are not affected by Marine Park closures it appears the 'Adelaide Living Beaches' project is void of Caica's promise to keep jetty fishing access for rec fishers?Same department...different duded plan.

Local fisherman John Butterworth said the pipes would get in the way of anglers casting a line."No one will be able to crab or fish off the southern side of the jetty," he said.Mr Butterworth, who has fished off the jetty for more than 40 years, said people would climb out on to the pipes to fish and crab, which would endanger the lives of anglers."One day someone will slip off the pipe and drown and the person who jumps in after them to save them could also drown," he said.Mr Butterworth said when he first heard about the pipelines he was told by the Coast Protection Board they would be placed under the jetty and would not disrupt anglers.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/holdfast-bay-mayor-calls-for-two-ugly-pipes-on-glenelg-jetty-to-be-hidden/story-e6frea83-1226503006881TB

This State shits me, enough to seriously consider going to greener pastures, SA = shit, out of money, half baked ideas like the marine park debacle, closing reccos access to just about anything, the list goes on,things like the Kirk tippex fiasco making headline news every night is testament to how far down the sewer this place is heading, not to mention BHP pulling out of its mining contract, yes SA =crap.

Tacklebags wrote:

Even though all jetties are not affected by Marine Park closures it appears the 'Adelaide Living Beaches' project is void of Caica's promise to keep jetty fishing access for rec fishers?Same department...different duded plan.

Local fisherman John Butterworth said the pipes would get in the way of anglers casting a line."No one will be able to crab or fish off the southern side of the jetty," he said.Mr Butterworth, who has fished off the jetty for more than 40 years, said people would climb out on to the pipes to fish and crab, which would endanger the lives of anglers."One day someone will slip off the pipe and drown and the person who jumps in after them to save them could also drown," he said.

What a shocker of a decision!This state and its Rec Fishing decisions are deplorable. Seriously!Wouldn't a simple solution be to run the pipes underneath the Jetty?? Than no one is disrupted and everyone can fish where they want to! Like we have the right to do! [OR DO WE NOW?]I personally haven't fished Glenelg Jetty much and don't exact plan on doing so due to no parking and tourist crowded spots but I know alot of guys that catch Tommies and Crabs off the end arguably the 'good half' because thats where the broken patches and weed is! And geez don't be worried about the Anglers, worry about the bloody Jetty Jumpers! Now they have another place to do their little flips off of! I have many mates that jetty jump and I reckon they are just idiots!Seriously I can't get the logic behind this governments decisions, it seems to be time and time again that as soon as something needs to happen near the water. The simple and easy solution is remove the FISHERMEN!Sorry for the little rant but this really :c me off! TT
This State shits me' date=' enough to seriously consider going to greener pastures, SA = shit, out of money, half baked ideas like the marine park debacle, closing reccos access to just about anything, the list goes on,things like the Kirk tippex fiasco making headline news every night is testament to how far down the sewer this place is heading, not to mention BHP pulling out of its mining contract, yes SA =crap.[/quote']Yep...if it wasn't for my current job I would be out of here as well.The fishing we have to offer here is good but it could be far better if we had Governments with a brain that supported our recreation before short term commercial greed, took to real environmental threats with more than just lip service and didn't want to suck every penny out of the public for hair brain 'general revenue' funded schemes as exampled above in that article.What stinks the most about these pipes being constructed is that NO ONE was consulted about it?????Not even the local council?????Heaven forbid I decide to build a double story extention to my house, a 16 meter high fence and a back deck that is an eye sore to any citizen/tourist without notifying any authority!Someone needs a big foot in the ketut over this blatant disregard for the public.TB

Another gem from Minister Caica. How obvious would it be to put them under the jetty but no wait that would be the right thing to do aswell as keep the jetty fully functional. Maybe he was worried that we would all start to panic should the Government start getting things right in this state.

Another gem from Minister Caica. How obvious would it be to put them under the jetty but no wait that would be the right thing to do aswell as keep the jetty fully functional. Maybe he was worried that we would all start to panic should the Government start getting things right in this state.

and we wondered what those cranes were doing there last time I went past.Logic suggested it was just maintenace or similar ,The upshot is that it's not that different to having to run a dredge so often in the WB ramp area because the govt :c d that one up too while trying to keep the cashed up owners at Holdfast Shores happy :whistle:

I couldn't believe what I was reading when I saw this! yet another stupid decision by the government..and no public consultation, If I lived in Glenelg I'd seriously consider moving because of this. What gets me though, is looking at that photo its pretty obvious there was more than enough room to run the pipes under the jetty! :blink:I feel ashamed to admit it but I think Adelaide Living Beaches is one of my department's projects..Im going to do some digging round on Monday :blush:

I just thought of a great logo for our Rego Plates :huh: Welcome to South Australia.The State of No Consultation :dry: Has anyone got any ideas of what the piping is actually for ?Aapart from being a pain in the bum for :fishing: it sounds like a :c eyesore !

lol love it! :clap:I understand its to pump sand to other nearby beaches so they dont have to manually move it with trucks etc.. Im not 100% sure though.. I cant see the benefit to be honest and in the long run will probably do more harm than good..

I'm fine with the "essence" of the idea! It's designed to suck in sand to keep the beaches up to scratch, and naturally I'm all for saving the beaches from erosion.It was pretty poorly thought out and planned though! The local council is up in arms, they didn't consider the pipes would stand out as they do, and it's considered quite an eyesore for what is probably our our most attended metro beach close to the city.

Those pipes can be placed underneath the jetty, I assume the reason it is'nt underneath the jetty is because of the costs involved. Another display of cost cutting and apathy for the very people who foot the bill and make SA the place it is. Pathetic. Some lazy pr!k has kept himself in his cosy overpaid job. :rain:

Some background here, folks:http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/conservation/coastal_marine/adelaides_living_beacheshttp://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-09/sand-pipeline-adelaide-coast/4118290http://www.duncanmcfetridge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=196:sand-pumping-pipeline&catid=2:blog&Itemid=3http://www.ccsa.asn.au/files/marine/Adelaide%5C's%20Living%20Beaches%20Summary%20Paper.pdf

Thanks AFsome inetersting comments from that link Earlier this week I had the opportunity to visit the Glenelg Jetty. Unfortunately two sand pumping pipes now run along the jetty’s southern side. It was my understanding that the pipes were to go underneath, causing little or no disruption to the general use of the jetty. Although I still strongly support sand pumping in the Morphett Electorate I have written to Ministers Patrick Conlon and Paul Caica asking for decking to be installed over the pipes and for the hand rail to be moved out. With nearly three million visitors a year we do not want an ‘oil terminal wharf’ look for our jetty.____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 7 September 2012Construction has started, and is well underway, on the sand pipeline project. The project involves the construction of two separate pipelines. The larger of the two is 7 kilometers from Glenelg to Kingston Park. The second is 2.2 kilometres running from the Torrens River outlet to the West Beach sand dunes. The infrastructure (pipeline, pumping station and discharge points), will replace the use of sand carting trucks on the beach and in surrounding streets which has long been a cause of concern for residents.Once completed, the pipelines will operate for three months of each year, and should begin in time for summer 2012-2013.____________________________________________________________________________________________________________14 November 2010 There has been an $8.1m cost blowout on the long-awaited construction of a sand pumping pipeline at West Beach. Trucks are still going to have to move the sand, which is the problem the South Australian Government was trying to fix in the first place. You and I will now have to continue to tolerate sand carting instead of having a full pipeline as promised - and we will also have to pay for this ongoing activity. Sand carting is part of the strategy to provide an additional sand buffer to sensitive areas of the coast in preparation for winter. The additional sand also ensures that beaches remain sandy for recreation and amenity purposes. Sand carting this year commenced on 27 April 2010 and was to be completed by 12 June 2011. Up to 50,000 m3 of replenishment sand was to be carted by truck from Glenelg beach. The activity, since the early 1980s, has createds many problems – including heavy traffic and sand spilling out of the trucks and blowing onto roads and into residents’ gardens.The pipeline is an infrastructure project - between Semaphore and Kingston Park, along Adelaide’s coast - that I want to see go ahead and take the hundreds of truck movements off the local roads. There have been protests against the 2,500 truckloads of sand moved through the backstreets from Glenelg to Brighton and Seacliff over two five-week periods each year. Well, this project will now only be partially completed. The promised 22km underground sand transfer carting pipeline program will be cut to less than half its planned size to just 9km. It was to include the infrastructure of two relocatable sand collection stations; six sand collection points; four main pump stations; and seven booster pump stations – and this was to replace sand carting trucks. The project aim was for a raft of benefits: protecting the environment; stopping erosion; and stabilising the coast's fragile dune system along southern metropolitan Adelaide beaches which are constantly eroded through natural wave movement.To summarise the cost mismanagement by the SA Labor Government: in the 2008-09 budget the 22km pipeline, which was due for completion in June 2011, was set to cost the taxpayer $17.628 million. By 2009-10 the project had blown out by more than $2 million, costing South Australians $19.726 million. Only three months later, in September 2009, a press release from former Environment Minister, Jay Weatherill, shows the cost had blown out another $3 million to $23 million.This year’s budget added another $2.7 million on to the project, now costing $25.721 million. The Government also announced that the pipeline would be less than half the original size - at just 9km - and would be delivered a year later than planned. It will now to be completed in the June quarter 2012.Yes that’s right, a 22km pipeline costing $17.628 million will now be a 9km pipeline costing $25.721 million - it’s gone from $801,000 per km to $2.86 million per km which is three and half times the original cost!I have been lobbying for this project since I was elected in March 2002 as I see it as a major issue which does affect tourism in the area, as well as pollute the environment.It is clear that the project needs to be fully completed, as planned, and without further delays as it will create significant issues at the Bay, and other southern beaches, with respect to attracting international visitors to a well recognised tourist destination. We need good beaches but we need a long term solution to this problem.For those unaware of the long history of this much awaited infrastructure project, the pipeline was approved in mid-2009 by the Development Assessment Commission and was unveiled by the Environment Department in 2005 as part of its 20-year strategy for maintaining Adelaide beaches. The Government outsourced the project through a tender process.Construction was to be completed by the end of May 2011 and no further carting expected from then. This now remains a dream and will not become reality as was promised by the Labor Government. I hope Bay residents make lots of noise about yet another Labor promise which will not become reality. I think that this project is a luxury at the moment, but is more important than the (yet another) sports stadium. If there is money in the budget for all the essentials, before building the stadium, then use the extra for the sand-pumping. What about more appropriate recreational facilities with paid supervision at new areas such as Seaford Rise and the residential area near the salt pans and Mawson Lakes. These "plastic" suburbs look all very well when they're new and shiny, but they'll need massive social interventions to allow children to grow into interested and responsible citizens. Put some money into them, not a fancy stadium for rich people to watch other rich people chase balls.

Put a bloody $40Million Footbridge over the top of it - no-one will ever notice... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Add some trams, a new hospital, a desal plant and whatever else Joe Average is being told is good for him and just what he wants and it will be a real eye opener.Oh and maybe they could build it all on top of the rubble from the Sir Donald Bradman Stand as a sign of respect to an Aussie legend !
im no marine bioligistwouldnt it be better to encourage weed growth' date='a few artificial reefs and what not to reduce the erosion effects,to my knowledge this sand issue has been brought on from development :S[/quote']Polluting infrastructure has killed the seagrasses as well as stormwater channeling out to the gulfs.The Labor Government had the opportunity to capture the stormwater for recycling but chose to build the desalination plant instead to 'save some money'...go figure that short sightedness?I think the need to prop up the 200 plus exectutives at SA water for the desalination plant was a bigger prioity than the environment?Capturing the stormwater for recycling/more wetland use etc would have aided in preventing the need for those sand pipes through increased seagrassess etc.Labor in SA= couldn't run a bath!TB
It was pretty poorly thought out and planned though! The local council is up in arms' date=' they didn't consider the pipes would stand out as they do, and it's considered quite an eyesore for what is probably our our most attended metro beach close to the city.[/quote']I saw the mayor talking about this. Don't know about anyone else, but I can visualize what some 2ft pipes running down the side of a jetty would look like.He also said the reason they were not put underneath the jetty was in case someone bashed their heads on them while walking under. :blink::unsure:
It was pretty poorly thought out and planned though! The local council is up in arms' date=' they didn't consider the pipes would stand out as they do' date=' and it's considered quite an eyesore for what is probably our our most attended metro beach close to the city.[/quote'']I saw the mayor talking about this. Don't know about anyone else, but I can visualize what some 2ft pipes running down the side of a jetty would look like.He also said the reason they were not put underneath the jetty was in case someone bashed their heads on them while walking under. :blink::unsure:
What they don't want is people crawling along them under the jetty and falling off hitting their heads. Hitting your head is far more likely with the pipes in current position, especially when you consider many more will use them as a jumping platform than if they were underneath it!Wire barriers under the jetty would stop people without impeding fishers or risking other users safety.Stupidity reigns over common sense yet again.TB

An update from this morning...FWIW...http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/two-ugly-pipes-on-glenelg-jetty-could-be-covered-after-community-backlash/story-e6frea83-1226505188919THE State Government will look to cover two pipes along the side of Glenelg jetty following a community backlash. Environment Minister Paul Caica told the Guardian Messenger he was aware of community concerns and his department would investigate ways to encase the pipes.Translation - don`t call us, we`ll call you. And be thankful to get whatever you`re ultimately given."I've asked my department to work with the council to consider the issues that residents have raised with regard to safety concerns and possible impacts on fishing and crabbing," Mr Caica said.Looks much more than merely "possible", but that`s just me...Just wondering - in these financially challenging (groan, Torrens footbridge) times which "Mr. Nobody" is going to find funds to widen the jetty and move railings...any bets on some sort of mickey-mouse box-cover painted metal sheeting and lots of "Persons climbing over railing and fishing from the pipe covering will be prosecuted" signs...?Now that I would consider probable rather than "possible". And I loved this;From the 25 Oct AdelaideNow storyDr Rollond told the Guardian Messenger the State Government needed to consider camouflaging the pipelines."It looks incredibly ugly," he said. "It's totally unacceptable as it is now and they need to think long and hard about how to camouflage it."We need something that is going to work in the long term because we don't want to be able to see it."[Environment Minister Paul Caica] "The Environment Department worked with the City of Holdfast and they agreed that putting the pipes level with the concrete deck was considered the most suitable option to minimise any safety risks."From today`s 29 Oct versionBut Holdfast Bay Mayor Ken Rollond, local anglers, residents and readers all have complained about the pipes and have questioned how they were approved on such a significant local landmark.[Dr Rollond] said council had signed off on the project without seeing design plans, but talks between the Environment Department and council administration were held. :clap::clap::clap: Hmm, let the blame games commence...and I reckon many here would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those talks.

It was pretty poorly thought out and planned though! The local council is up in arms' date=' they didn't consider the pipes would stand out as they do' date=' and it's considered quite an eyesore for what is probably our our most attended metro beach close to the city.[/quote'']I saw the mayor talking about this. Don't know about anyone else, but I can visualize what some 2ft pipes running down the side of a jetty would look like.He also said the reason they were not put underneath the jetty was in case someone bashed their heads on them while walking under. :blink::unsure:
Maybe if a polly or two walked under there it might bash some sense into them :whistle: :blink:
  • 7 months later...