• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

i got a 30cm one off the jetty the other night, then a 36cm big cuttlefish.pulled it up by hand, and the 30lb line on the reel,sliced my finger.. they were both on the jetty and me and my bro watched the cuttly, inch its way along the jetty, and grab the squid...pulled them apart, and it had taken a huge trainagle shaped chunk out of the squid's wing.its easy to clean a big cuttly like that when you can shove your whole hand almost up to the elbow up inside to scrape everything out.

Heres a couple of big mothers we got yesterday fishing the dodge at cove, managed our limit and many where way over kilo models the biggest round 37-38 tube and outstreched almost a metre ;) size=1280http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/LIdegxY1__kraken_004.jpg[/img] size=1280http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/JMHuSGPc__kraken_005.jpg[/img]

Ah but now to locate your elusive spot within casting distance of land... .boat. Awesome effort though, love my squid and that truly is a monster :laugh:Have you eaten yours yet? I found mine to be quite tough compared to the smaller one I caught as I was cleaning and cutting it up. It felt a lot more like cuttlefish flesh, i'll find out when I cook it as to whether its tougher or not. I'd kill to bag out on squid, best i've managed is 12. Heaps of food and filled the freezer with bait and berley bits

hallet cove champ ;), we had perfect wind for drifting and it was a dodge, picked up all our squid in about a kilometre stretch along the rocks no deeper than 12 feet of water so u could cast that with a float and surf rod :),Always freeze your squid first mate it tenderises them never eat fresh ;). ive posted before about cove point ule get your bag there in the right conditions ;). We got our 30 in under 3 hours so they are there, got plenty of bait at the moment after that haul, might even do some smoked squid mmmmmmmm seafood jerky

might even do some smoked squid mmmmmmmm seafood jerky

I tried it once crocka and my mate cooked it .wasnt like seafood jerky ,the words burnt rubber come to mind,lol. I reckon I know what one of Craig Lowndes racing slicks would taste like after 200 laps of the Clipsal .
  • 2 weeks later...

We got 2 yestaerday at 38cm.Posted Image2 squid to the left ;)

8 Squid today our two biggest would perhaps match yours WB.5 nice big Cuttlefish as well.Bloody boat full of ink now!Only gave her a good scrub up at the weekend.Lost a small chuck from my had to a big Blue Leatherjacket as well - that hurt! .hissy. .hissy.When doing a measure on Squid is it from the top of the tube to the end of the longest tentacle??Don't want laughing at if I give a wacky measurement. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Went squiding yesterday at whyalla pulled in nine in 15 mins. Heaps of fun :fishing:Biggest measured 28cm on the mantle only, the rest were mostly 25cm and the smallest 22cm.

They are good fun to catch on light gear but Smiley mine was tearing line off the reel

Your Not wrong. :fishing:

some of you may have seen on the West Coast board.But i caught this one up Fowlers back in Jan, Stupid me didn't measure his length but I weighed him at just over 2kg. I reckon easily over 35cm maybe even pushing over 40. Shoot me down if you feel I'm over estimating.He was menacing our live baits all night long, even though are live baits were quite large squid themselves! We ended up snaring it by walking it up the jetty while it was munging on a bait and then getting a clear gaff shot. We tried this at least 3 times before we were successful. size=600http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/T5gr0ERQ__squid_and_ugly_joe.jpg[/img] size=400http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/sXWR9zzb__squid.jpg[/img]